New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know what to say about this game. On one hand, the game looks fun overall, and the graphics are very nice looking. I also like the music overall.

On the other hand, I have some small gripes (spoilers ahoy).
-I still don't how the game looks in terms of it's physics, the jump still seems floaty and Sonic accelerates way too fast for his own good. It's not exactly terrible, but it rubs me the wrong way....

-I hate how the Homing Attack is in the game, I really do. I understand why you'd want it in a 3-D Sonic game (makes it less of a hassle to hit things in 3D environment), but what's the reason for it to be in a 2-D game? Eh, can't really do much about it.

-God damned Mine Cart in Lost Labyrinth.

-Lost Labyrinth's Boss looks bad, really. Nice of them to make the chase scene less of a pain in the ass than it was in Sonic 1, but the Boss itself looks like no fun at all.

-From what I've seen of the E.G.G. Station, it's just a rehash of the bosses you've already fought, then some new one right? I just saw the Ball and Chain, said "Ugh" and walked away, so I'm 100% not sure. Even if that isn't the case, I absolutely HATE when games do that.

"Hurr Hurr, you beat my robots so I'll make you fight them again for absolutely no reason other than making the the asinine final level longer! You know, since everybody likes doing the same thing over again!"

It really sucked in Advanced 2 since you had to fight 7 bosses (although they were weaker, thank God) before you got to the cheap as hell final one, and that abomination of boss wasn't even the final boss. D:<
Keep in mind that these are relatively small gripes that I can live with at the moment.

I'll definitely download it whenever it comes out though.

Ridiculously minor nitpick, but how did Sonic get into outer space and out of outer space? Sonic 2 and Knuckles took the trouble to explain that.

That does it, I guess. Kind of anticlimactic, though.

I wonder if one could abstain from using the homing attack and have a reasonable chance of completing the game?

Last edited:
Well... I've gotta say.... I just can't stop embarrassing myself can I? Jeez, I exploded all over you guys. Sorry. I'll CALMLY express why I loathe this game.

This game almost has an average fangame quality to it. I am not saying that is a good thing, but I am just saying that I would try it out if it was free. I don't have enough interest in it to pay for it though.

I know. I don't like it. And yeah if you don't like the average fangame, don't buy it. It really is just that but with a release date. Not to say that if there will be a free trial that I won't try it out just to see if I'm just being silly.

Hoo boy, what wasn't recycled in this and dumbed down? Watching the remade Sonic 2 Mecha Robotnik being played like a violin with a 31 hit point health meter was too much. Hard? Barely. Super tedious? You bet.

Every boss was recycled, all the gimmicks of ye olden Sonic 1 & 2 (plus homing attack) ....

And then the cliff hanger decides to throw us a bone and gives me a feeling that the next episode will be YET ANOTHER rehash instead of going the Megaman 9 route and giving us new but old style content. Take a guess at who joins us for a Stardust Speeding time in the next episode.

Ridiculously minor nitpick, but how did Sonic get into outer space and out of outer space? Sonic 2 and Knuckles took the trouble to explain that.

That's a good question. How did he get there? Sonic 3 & Knuckles evolved the Sonic formula showing how Sonic got to entire levels as well as what Robotnik was doing to these landscapes. Is SEGA worried that we may complain about these little cutscenes?

Or is SEGA not bothering with consistency yet again (coughcougheversinceSonicHeroescoughcough)?

Again, as you said, it really is a ridiculously minor nitpick, but if anything good could have come from rehashing, it would be playable cutscenes just like when Robotnik was stealing the Master Emerald and you got to beat him up before he electrocuted Knuckles and you got to Sky Sanctuary.

Anyways, pick me apart. I know you're going to do it so why bother trying to ignore it?

I'll CALMLY express why I loathe this game.
I know. I don't like it. And yeah if you don't like the average fangame, don't buy it. It really is just that but with a release date. Not to say that if there will be a free trial that I won't try it out just to see if I'm just being silly.
You still aren't being more descriptive than "This is rehashed so I don't like it."

Hoo boy, what wasn't recycled in this and dumbed down? Watching the remade Sonic 2 Mecha Robotnik being played like a violin with a 31 hit point health meter was too much. Hard? Barely. Super tedious? You bet.
You're calling something easy and tedious when you're watching a video of someone with a different skill level playing it?

Every boss was recycled, all the gimmicks of ye olden Sonic 1 & 2 (plus homing attack) ....
Whatever.

And then the cliff hanger decides to throw us a bone and gives me a feeling that the next episode will be YET ANOTHER rehash instead of going the Megaman 9 route and giving us new but old style content. Take a guess at who joins us for a Stardust Speeding time in the next episode.
Where on Earth do you make that assumption from?

That's a good question. How did he get there? Sonic 3 & Knuckles evolved the Sonic formula showing how Sonic got to entire levels as well as what Robotnik was doing to these landscapes. Is SEGA worried that we may complain about these little cutscenes?
It's bad that they're not doing something that only one game did? (if the Wing Fortress scenes don't count)

Or is SEGA not bothering with consistency yet again (coughcougheversinceSonicHeroescoughcough)?
Does it matter?

Again, as you said, it really is a ridiculously minor nitpick, but if anything good could have come from rehashing, it would be playable cutscenes just like when Robotnik was stealing the Master Emerald and you got to beat him up before he electrocuted Knuckles and you got to Sky Sanctuary.
Again, a big assumption from nowhere. Especially when it's only one game that did it, and it barely made a difference in the game.

Anyways, pick me apart. I know you're going to do it so why bother trying to ignore it?
Okay.

Nice job loathing a game you haven't even played.

You mean Metal Sonic?
Mandspic2.jpg

Ristar-ASR.jpg

metalsonic.jpg
I thought it was because he's been showing up quite often lately, plus he IS a classic character. His appearence does not mean another race.

Kyasarin pretty much covered everything else you said...

Im going to say this one last time, PLAY THE DE-

...Nevermind...

So, do you guys think this is a worthy successor to Sonic 3? I honestly don't think so, but at least they're making some sort of an effort.

By the way don't BS me with "oh blah blah blah nostalgia" because if Mega Man 9 can do multiple sequels to games over a decade apart, then SEGA can sure as hell do it, too.

they just need an american developer for the first time in almost twenty years

I honestly don't think this will be as good as Sonic 3. As for the reasons why, just look about for my previous posts.

The game that came the closest to being a successor to Sonic 3, both in terms of gameplay and in production values, was Sonic Advance. And that was released in 2001. Everything else since has either approached 2D Sonic platforming in a totally different manner or has been pretty lackluster.

I seriously doubt that DIMPs or anybody at SEGA can make a game that's worthy of being a successor to Sonic 3 after their last real attempt at that was nearly 9 years ago, and I think the leaked videos show that. But fortunately the episodic nature of Sonic 4 gives the developers a chance to improve the game over time. It'll be interesting to see if Episodes II and III are merely extensions of Episode I's gameplay, or if there will be tweaks to it. I'm cautiously optimistic, m'self.

Ehh. I'll just wait 'till the game comes out. If I hear that it's good I might get it. If it's not, I won't cut my veins over it. It's not like I play sonic much anymore, anyway...

I don't think this will be a worthy successor to Sonic 3, but it'll probably be fun regardless.

The game that came the closest to being a successor to Sonic 3, both in terms of gameplay and in production values, was Sonic Advance. And that was released in 2001. Everything else since has either approached 2D Sonic platforming in a totally different manner or has been pretty lackluster.
I'm going to disagree with you here and say that the true successor to Sonic 3 was this:

user_2_sonic_the_hedgehog___pocket_adventure.gif

Sonic Pocket Adventure!

This game his fantastic level design, a good engine, and is overall fun. Hell IGN even gave this game a 10/10.
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/162/162670p1.html

I also like how Eggman changes from his classic outfit to his current one in the final level.

So, do you guys think this is a worthy successor to Sonic 3? I honestly don't think so, but at least they're making some sort of an effort.

By the way don't BS me with "oh blah blah blah nostalgia" because if Mega Man 9 can do multiple sequels to games over a decade apart, then SEGA can sure as hell do it, too.

they just need an american developer for the first time in almost twenty years

Yeah, get Sega's USA developers to make Sonic 4.
What we need is another Iron Man. ^^

Toilet Man

Yeah, get Sega's USA developers to make Sonic 4.
What we need is another Iron Man. ^^

I loled so hard. Yea the Iron Man game is currently stuffed into my septic tank for all eternity. Every time I flush, the song by Black Sabbath plays. Then I die a little inside. How about we just let Sega do their game how they think it should be done and not have to listen to upscale bigots?

IGN gave Sonic Adventure a 9, which came out around the same time as Sonic Pocket Adventure. Still think the score might be a little off the wall.

Well, I've heard Sonic Pocket Adventure is supposed to be good, but I've never got a chance to play it. I don't like how all the levels are (uh... sigh...) rehashes of Sonic 2 zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back