NetPlay Extreme Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

agoat

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but...

Whenever I join a Net game, everything slows down, like lag, and I can't play. I've check out everything, and I can't seem to find a solution. I have a pretty good computer that runs everything else just fine. And Single Player runs PERFECTLY.

But um, if somebody could help me, I'll um... give you a cookie?

agoat said:
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but...

Whenever I join a Net game, everything slows down, like lag, and I can't play. I've check out everything, and I can't seem to find a solution. I have a pretty good computer that runs everything else just fine. And Single Player runs PERFECTLY.

But um, if somebody could help me, I'll um... give you a cookie?

Do you use opengl?

(I got banned last time I talked about a cookie)

No, I haven't tried OpenGL yet. So I guess I lied in my first post. D: Sorry.

*tries OpenGL*

Hmm, if that doesn't work- what internet type do you use (example- Do you use dial-up?)

Because some types are faster than others.

OpenGL won't work.

I have Road Runner, which I beleive is Cable or something.

But everything was still really slow with OpenGL. Just a tad smoother.

That cannot be helped. What you're experiencing is control lag.

See, SRB2's netplay code uses a lag-intolerant approach to exchanging data. Every game tic, your client sends your input to the server. Once the server receives it, the server's game will act accordingly. Then, the information is sent back to your computer, which is when you see your character actually move. Believe it or not, a lag-tolerant approach will be much worse for the game. We may make small optimizations, but there will always be control lag in SRB2.

FoxBlitzz said:

See, SRB2's netplay code uses a lag-intolerant approach to exchanging data. Every game tic, your client sends your input to the server. Once the server receives it, the server's game will act accordingly. Then, the information is sent back to your computer, which is when you see your character actually move. Believe it or not, a lag-tolerant approach will be much worse for the game. We may make small optimizations, but there will always be control lag in SRB2.

So, you're saying that I won't ever be able to do NetPlay?

Disable any built-in firewall on your router. That's what I did and it made netplay somewhat smoother. Control lag will never go away, however.

agoat said:
FoxBlitzz said:

So, you're saying that I won't ever be able to do NetPlay?

Did he say that? No. Its just sometimes theres a C-Lag (control lag).

Still nothing.

And this problem isn't just an occasional thing, it's all the time. Even if I'm host it does it.

Let me get this. Your problem is lag?
Well, I have a small solution to that.
Before you start a netgame, make shoore you turn the sound off and you're using windowed mode. That will decrease lag. Use this wheter you're the server, or a client.
If you are planing a netgame with some friend, tell him to set up that way.
(Setups used with the launcher)

agoat said:
I always play Windowed, and no sound. I need a new sound driver anyways. :P

You always get lag, even if you put on OpenGl mode, a small window and no sound. The amount of lag is determined on everyones connection speed, not just yours. :wink:

Windowed and no sound just ruin the fun anyway.

Are you talking about skippyness or control lag? If it's the skipping, then your internet connection blows or you live really far away from everyone. Actually, the same goes for the control lag.
You need to play with people that live closer to you. Shorter distance = less latency.

If you check the first page, I've tried disabling all of them.

And pardon my mispellings and such, I have ADHD, and I didn't take my medication today, and its messing with my head a little. And no, thats not my NetPlay problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back