• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

NeoMMZ Discussion & Progress Thread

Soouguy

Neo Mine Maze Zone is a project by me, started in early October 2021. It is my first attempt at making a map, so things will be pretty simplistic. NeoMMZ is an attempt at making what Mine Maze would look like if it had made it into the game and had not been replaced by Arid Canyon.

The version as of this initial post on October 10, 2021 is NeoMMZ β1 (Beta One). All previous versions of NeoMMZ were not on the Message Board, were not shared publicly, and was only hosted on the Master Server once. These versions are now designated α1, α2, and α3.

Neo Mine Maze Zone is structured like a normal level; it has 2 acts and a 3rd boss act.

Attachments

• NeoMMZ Beta One Act 1.wad
    45.9 KB · Views: 95
  • NeoMMZ Beta One Act 2.wad
    33.3 KB · Views: 79
  • NeoMMZ Beta One Act 3.wad
    9.2 KB · Views: 84
Neo Mine Maze Zone is a project by me, started in early October 2021. It is my first attempt at making a map, so things will be pretty simplistic. NeoMMZ is an attempt at making what Mine Maze would look like if it had made it into the game and had not been replaced by Arid Canyon.

The version as of this initial post on October 10, 2021 is NeoMMZ β1 (Beta One). All previous versions of NeoMMZ were not on the Message Board, were not shared publicly, and was only hosted on the Master Server once. These versions are now designated α1, α2, and α3.

Neo Mine Maze Zone is structured like a normal level; it has 2 acts and a 3rd boss act.
So far... It's actually pretty cool! However, I'd like to suggest this:

Since long corridors and tights spaces were removed as part of the focus of 2.2, I'd prefer a revamp of the three acts. Here's info on each:

Mine Maze 1 & 2: It's pretty tight, claustrophobic, and confusing. I know it's a maze but what if it got what Deep Sea and Techno Hill 2 got? Since DSZ and THZ2 were revamped to remove the claustrophobicy in 2.2, it'd be cool to see MMZ get that treatment, but it could still have many routes, like a maze! Heck, Minecarts could have more focus. One reference I'd like to see would be Endless Mine. Heck, look at Kart. Endless Mine was slightly claustrophobic, but in Kart it's huge, wide, and fun! Same with how Deep Sea 2 got overhauled from a maze, to a fun one.

Mine Maze 3: It's okay... Arena could be better.

All 3: I'd recommend putting it before Arid Canyon and after Castle Eggman, since the transition would make more since.

Also bug report for Act 2. Missing wall glitch and Early Finish Glitch all in one corridor.

Anyways, this is really cool!

1. i dont know how im able to fix that one missing wall but the early finish is kind of intentional since you connect to the finish room in a weird way.

1. i dont know how im able to fix that one missing wall but the early finish is kind of intentional since you connect to the finish room in a weird way.
Then I recommend that it should be remade then. Short levels aren't that fun. It's like getting to eat a grain of salt off of a french fry. Wouldn't you want the whole thing? I also played through SRB2 Apologue, and found that they remade Mine Maze. If you'd take a look, they did an outstanding job. There were no cramped rooms, unique gimmicks, fun reusahe of old SRB2 Gimmicks, and a unique skybox. Heck, even used the 2.2 Rendition of the theme.

All I'm saying is... If we were to make a room out of this. A white, empty room. This so far would be a moving box and a rug. The box is empty. So, there is tons of room for improvement.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back