Need help compiling 2.1.25 for Linux (Debian)

I too have this issue. To get the resources, I downloaded the Windows x64 version and installed it on Ubuntu 22.04 using the Wine compatibility layer and, while it did work, I had to use SRB2 - OpenGL.bat , and I did get more lag than in native 2.2.10 when I move the camera with my mouse.

Edit on 2022-07-16 at 9:15: Quickly updated right after posting to specify that I got the Windows version just to get the resources.

I have tried these commands, making sure to base them off of the Wiki as of December 2019:

Bash:
make -C src LINUX64=1
# The base command at the time.

LIBGME_CFLAGS= LIBGME_LDFLAGS=-lgme make -C src LINUX64=1
# SRB2 Wiki says to use «LIBGME_CFLAGS= LIBGME_LDFLAGS=-lgme make»
# on Linux for 2.2.10; perhaps try that?

LIBGME_CFLAGS= LIBGME_LDFLAGS=-lgme make -C src LINUX64=1 -i
# -i, --ignore-errors         Ignore errors from recipes.

LIBGME_CFLAGS= LIBGME_LDFLAGS=-lgme make -C src LINUX64=1 ECHO=1
# So I could try to investigate what specifically is causing the error.

LIBGME_CFLAGS= LIBGME_LDFLAGS=-lgme make -C src LINUX64=1 NOLDWARNING=1

None of these worked even when trying a clean install. Every time, I got this error:

Code:
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

What error are you getting, LoreMan?

I presume you already have the resources for 2.1.25 — music.dta , patch.dta , rings.dta , player.dta , srb2.srb , and zones.dta .

Relevant technical information:
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38; cc (Ubuntu 11.2.0-19ubuntu1) 11.2.0; and GNU Make 4.3 .

What error are you getting, LoreMan?

I presume you already have the resources for 2.1.25 — music.dta , patch.dta , rings.dta , player.dta , srb2.srb , and zones.dta .

Relevant technical information:
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38; cc (Ubuntu 11.2.0-19ubuntu1) 11.2.0; and GNU Make 4.3 .
Compiling SRB2 2.1's source code error:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

I'm trying to compile from the source files, that should give all the important stuff, right?

LoreMan's error:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

This happens if you haven't changed the directory to /src or added -c src before LINUX64=1.

ehhh?!?!?!?!? (I'm sorry, i don't know much, I have to follow guides to really do anything.)

I think I get what I'm supposed to do now.

It worked! I think!:
Build is done, please look for lsdl2srb2 in ../bin/Linux64/Release, (checking for post steps)
make: Leaving directory '/home/teelwilliam123/SRB2/src'

Sorry this is a long chain of posts, but now I have this file, I recognise the file type, I believe I have to compile it?
file.png

(This used to be merged but I put it in one post)
Post automatically merged:

I tried to follow a guide online for tar.gz files, but of course, it can never be that easy XD, I input the command, and it does nothing :/
I would appreciate your help once again.

The Command:
The Command I put in:
sudo tar -xf lsdl2srb2.debug.txt.gz

Last edited:
lsdl2srb2.debug.txt.gz is a compressed text file containing debug information. Normally on Linux, compressed archives are compressed with tar and then gzip, hence the .tar.gz file extension. lsdl2srb2.debug.txt.gz, however, was only compressed with gzip. Nonetheless it is not the file you're looking for.

GNU Make has told you that Sonic Robo Blast 2 version 2.1.25 was built successfully, and its binary is located in (Your Build Directory)/bin/Linux64/Release.

I still have the same error, however. What command did you use to compile SRB2 v2.1.25 ?

I tried every commmand up to:
Bash:
LIBGME_CFLAGS= LIBGME_LDFLAGS=-lgme make -C src LINUX64=1 -i
This one was the first one to work, so I didn't try the last two.
Post automatically merged:

Unrelated but ayo what da :ohsnap:

Last edited:
I have tried that command again and only got the gzipped text file back. At least we're both getting somewhere. Did you get just that or a playable copy of SRB2 v2.1.25 ?

Upon further examination, I find that the binary does show for a bit, but is then deleted. Running with ECHO=1 shows that this deletion causes further errors in GNU Make. I might be able to edit the Makefile, but at the moment I have no experience with the format. I will report back with any discoveries.

I have tried that command again and only got the gzipped text file back. At least we're both getting somewhere. Did you get just that or a playable copy of SRB2 v2.1.25 ?
Just the gzipped text file, nothing else as far as I know.

Upon further examination, I find that the binary does show for a bit, but is then deleted. Running with ECHO=1 shows that this deletion causes further errors in GNU Make. I might be able to edit the Makefile, but at the moment I have no experience with the format. I will report back with any discoveries.
Ok

While I'm waiting (take your time, no pressure, or if you don't/didn't find anything, that's ok!) I'm gonna create a thread to try and obtain the essential files for windows, and see if I can run it that way, even if that works, I'd like to see what you come up with!

(Sorry for the long brackets, I just wanna make it clear I'm not rushing you.)

I tried a tutorial for ubuntu from last year, it did not work XD

I just take from the Wiki, and apply that to my machine (granted, I do have an asset error where the game doesn't detect my
Code:
~/.srb2
folder.

Update moment: I asked the guy if he could give me his build, and he did!
Also, the reason I wanted 2.1 in the first place was for the mods and to make bad videos about it XD
For random people who want 2.1 on Linux too find it in the desc and comments:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back