Need a way to have bosses activate when they see the player and not on level load

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellowJacket

The unreliable judge
I've been working on a boss rush level as of late, and I'm running into some trouble with the Egg Slimer, Sea Egg and Eggscalibur. All of these bosses activate on level load rather than respond to seeing a player and this is a bit of a problem. Is there any way to change this? And if not, would it be possible to use Lua to fix this?

Also I'll be out of the house for a few days as of tommorow, so I won't be responding very much. Thank you in advance if anyone helps though :>

My hands are kind of tied right now so sorry if my answer is wrong. Maybe SOC it so that each boss starts up as a custom state that loops back to itself and runs A_Look. Of course, the bosses' properties would have it so that their SeeState is the state they normally spawn in. End result should be bosses that do nothing bar look for players and only when a player enters view they start their normal routine. Did a quick check, none of the bosses use their SeeState for anything important except for Metal Sonic.

Last edited:
Could Lua be used to turn off the boss' thinker until it detects a player withing a certain radius?
Yes. Just set a mobj thinker that returns true until the boss is "activated". Since there's a level wad to go with this, the implementation is even easier, since activating the boss can be done via linedef executor instead of having to check the distance manually. (Although the latter might still be easier to do...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back