My opinions about Version 2.2

That’s not necessarily true. They can slightly redesign parts of the levels to accommodate the physics changes like they have been doing for the past 20 years. Heck, some levels like Egg Rock Zone Act 2 ARE being completely remade from scratch
Correct. I was editing my reply saying something to that effect while you were responding. Even a physics change, as much as I feel is unnecessary, would not require all level design philosophy to imitate 2D games which used upper and lower paths to emulate a larger space that 3D games already excel at portraying.

people be like: ayo 2.0 cb's were betters than 2.2 because they had a lot of more content and had slopes before 2.1 so it means 2.2 is shit
also 2.0 cb's when you tab out:

Correct. I was editing my reply saying something to that effect while you were responding. Even a physics change, as much as I feel is unnecessary, would not require all level design philosophy to imitate 2D games which used upper and lower paths to emulate a larger space that 3D games already excel at portraying.
The need for an upper and lower path isn't necessary in 3D, but if you are looking to emulate the playstyle of the 2D Classic Sonic games you do need to have options available to traverse through areas both quickly and slowly, and if quickly then this needs to be achieved through momentum. In Classic Sonic, speed is earned. You gain speed by rolling down slopes or jumping down cliffs.

This would require many of the levels to be at least reworked, but that isn't necessarily as monumental of a task as it sounds. There are many sections that already exist which would work great as is, such as the huge downward slope leading to a ramp with rings in the air late into GFZ2.

The general philosophy of Sonic level design is that progression speed when you are trying to go fast should be similar to a roller coaster. Uphill sections slow you down in anticipation of the other side of the slope that drops you down faster, and then you carry that speed for a while until the next big hill. When you want to go slow, you have access to routes with more traditional platforming and more enemies in your path, but with much more potential to be rewarded hidden goodies that you would have otherwise just sped past.

Depending on your player character of choice, how you interface with the level design changes. For example, as Sonic you would be generally expected to be focused on pathways focused on speed, while as Amy you would be expected to take slower, more platform heavy paths filled with enemies. This is why a certain level of precision is still necessary. Even all the way back in Sonic 1, taking things slow was always a viable option, and that's only even further emphasized in SRB2 in which not all characters are even capable of going all that fast.

Honestly my only problem with srb2 are the physics. They are objectively ass and make platforming levels a pain. The levels legitimately don’t feel like they were designed around the controls. The lack of momentum isn’t really much of a problem it’s the absolutely obsurd acceleration. Character reach high speed in less than a second

Honestly my only problem with srb2 are the physics. They are objectively ass and make platforming levels a pain. The levels legitimately don’t feel like they were designed around the controls. The lack of momentum isn’t really much of a problem it’s the absolutely obsurd acceleration. Character reach high speed in less than a second
Well, then you'll like what's being done for 2.3, because it's redoing the physics quite a bit. Including a change to acceleration that makes it less slippery.

upcoming removal of the Thok
Well I must have been gone for a long-ass time cos this was the last thing I expected, but nonetheless it can be expected due to the constantly updating nature of SRB2.

To be honest, I've felt the same as you since the release of 2.0. I've been playing since 1.09.4 (I think that's what the version was numbered) and change is scary. There's always a risk of, man are they gonna ruin the game or am I just sticking too much to the old ways lol

The last time I played SRB2 v2.2 I was so surprised and impressed at the progress. I admit I miss the old levels and gameplay because of nostalgia (I literally grew up with this fangame!) but I'm happy it's still being loved and worked on after all these years. And honestly as long as the old versions are up, I'm cool with doing a little wayback machine-style deep dive into that when I'm bored. I do think the old versions should be archived and kept available for download because imo SRB2 is just one of those iconic pieces of media that's been part of people's lives and it would suck to have all that work lost.

Well I must have been gone for a long-ass time cos this was the last thing I expected, but nonetheless it can be expected due to the constantly updating nature of SRB2.

To be honest, I've felt the same as you since the release of 2.0. I've been playing since 1.09.4 (I think that's what the version was numbered) and change is scary. There's always a risk of, man are they gonna ruin the game or am I just sticking too much to the old ways lol

The last time I played SRB2 v2.2 I was so surprised and impressed at the progress. I admit I miss the old levels and gameplay because of nostalgia (I literally grew up with this fangame!) but I'm happy it's still being loved and worked on after all these years. And honestly as long as the old versions are up, I'm cool with doing a little wayback machine-style deep dive into that when I'm bored. I do think the old versions should be archived and kept available for download because imo SRB2 is just one of those iconic pieces of media that's been part of people's lives and it would suck to have all that work lost.
Good news: pretty sure the plan going forward is to archive as much old version wise as possible.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back