My first level: Mushroom Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy92

Alright, let me tell the strange and interesting tale of this level, which really came from my obsession with game music.

I was just getting into SRB2 editing, and I thought, "I really need to make some kind of level that can use the battle theme from SMRPG." I really didn't know what to do, but then it hit me: a SMRPG-based Match level! I decided to remake the Mushroom Castle in SRB2 format, and the result was this.

After some constructive criticism and a little tweaking, the level was finally ready to release.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...

Mushroom Castle!

Don't worry, updated screenies are on the way.

Have fun, and see if you can find all three special rings!

For a first level, it's not horrible or anything, but it suffers from Glaber syndrome. For a match map, it's kinda cramped and not very open.

Glaber? WTD?

If you think that's cramped, you should have played my first attempt! But you still think it could be bigger?

What on earth is "Glaber Syndrome"?

Aha. Got it. So, you do think it's too cramped. What if I made it even a bit bigger? Would it make a difference? I know, the original level wasn't made for anything like speed, but hey, I'm just glad I made it and got it to work!

I must say that what they mean by cramped, is that not just the rooms, but the stage itself. That many narrow hallways makes to nearly impossable to dodge rings. Take for example Zim's Base Zone; it has a narrow pathway hide the couch, which is one spot, where as your level has them to every room. Try to make an open stage, and not a Closed in stage. Also, the small (secret?) area where you spin dash under a wall had nothing in it. I thought that something might have been in there.
Edit : About the special rings... I just noticed I had tried it in SP, not Match.

Well, concerning the spindash room, there's actually two of them, and theres supposed to be a rapid ring in one and an infinite ring in the other... If you were playing in one-player mode, they won't be there.

I would also like to state out that this level is just a little plain too. Maybe raise the ceiling (sp?) and place springs and such. It might add a little more to the stage.

nice

Nice map, really brings back memories. [/nostalgia] Anyways, maybe you could make the Mushroom Town there too. that would make it bigger, and it could be used for Hide-And-Seek, and other such modes.

That's a pretty good idea there, Yugi. I'll add the town, but it'll be low on my priority list. (Right now, I'm learning C, GBA-style!) I will do it, though. One question, though. Should I leave in the buildings or not?

Yeah, people tend to want to know what they're downloading before they do so. Take a screenshot and upload it to imageshack.us or photobucket.com.

This is a pretty neat map, but here are my suggestions..
Scale it up some, it's still a little small.
Read up on the SRB2Wiki on how to change what mode/type your level is. Make it Mario mode so the coins actually make a "coin" sound and your jump sound effect is the Mario jump sound effect. You'll also need to give it the "Match" game type so it can be played in Match mode.
Go into things mode on your editor, and select every coin in the level. Right click on one of them and click on the "Deaf" box. This will make all of the coins float 32 units in the air. It looks much nicer than having them hug the floor like that.
Nice job so far, love the music. ;)

Yeah, I didn't like the way the Deaf looked, but if you say that'll be better, I'll trust you. Sorry about the pics everyone, the ones on the other post aren't that great, so I'll get some new ones up. The level, I believe, is already set to "Match" mode, I didn't set it to "Mario" because, quite frankly, I don't like the Mario sound effects. If you really think that the Mario FX will make it better, then all right, but they're just not my favorite. :P I'll get some pics up ASAP.

Ok now, I know it's been a while, but I now have shots of the new and improvified level. It's now even bigger than it was before, and the coins float! I tried to make it a "Mario" level (in the header) but that disabled ring-throwing. I want to make the ceilings higher, but I am a bit impatient right now. That'll come soon! Anyway, here's the pics.

srb20011.png

srb20012.png

srb20013.png

srb20014.png

Let me know if you can find the Rapid and Infinite rings!

Just so ya know, you don't have to check deaf to make rings float. In SRB2DB, manually enter a thing offset, and in DB, just check a few bitset boxes, but they might not make sense unless you're used to building in powers of two instead of multiples of ten.

But yeah, those screens are awesome. ;D

mushroom castle

hello y do you think briguy umm.. :oops: your wad cant work i kept on trying like this mushroomcastle.wad and they said it doesnt work file couldnt foung the always said that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back