• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

My first ever wad but I need a bit of help

Should I Finish This?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Show Us More Of The Wad

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flash

Well I wanted to see if I could make a wad for SRB2 and after failing to make a level teice I managed to make 2 levels but I decided to leave it at that. Then my freind came round and played on the levels and said I should make more It could be good so now I need to know should I finish this?

Its called Sonic 2D Blast and the levels are all in 2D cept for the boss battles my orignal plan was to make a newish oldish Sonic game. If I do finish this the final desing will be Act 1: 2D Act 2: 2D Boss fight: 3D Special Stage: 3D.

Heres the link please help me out a bit

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6n951c

I allso put in my first two stages as I wanted to know how you think I went wrong allso please note that this is a VERY early beta so levels should be twice as long in the next one.

Oh and here are some screenshots

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Eggman Fight

Final Battle

Not enough enemies in the first two acts, then about a bazillion enemies in the Crawla Army 30 Second zone (I can do it in 25 seconds with a spindash), followed by no enemies, then one Eggman, then no enemies, followed by a battle, which, while requiring Superform, can be done without it. Talk about anti-climactic. I rate this a 7 out of 10.

7 out of 10 thats not bad considering its my first.
Well seeing as it was just a test I did not want to add any enemys into the zones yet but im redoing Sycamore Hill Zone with a proper boss battle and a real Special Stage.
The Crawler Army 30 sec Zone was just something I put in there to make it a little more fun though you can get the emerald and beat the zone in 10 seconds by Spindashing to the emerald then as Sonic useing his speed thok.
The Final Fight is part of the story so there a reason why theres 3 eggmans and as for the Super Form I wanted to make it so you can make a choice on either taking the easy route by using the emeralds or hard by not colecting them (though they all turn up in the prepare zone anyway).
Well thanks for the help and taking a look at my wad file aswell

It's time for an I'll Begin Brand Playtest... which I just made up.

I playtested it with two characters, Sonic and "Silver2.wad". Silver can jump higher and can glide infinitely, but he runs slower, doesn't spin, and doesn't have a Super Form.

-----------------------

The WAD in general:
A bit unexciting, but it has room for improvement. I'm quite surprised this is your first WAD, because it's really well made. You didn't change the music, but that's something I actually liked about it. You didn't even use oversized MP3 files, which is something I really like to see in WADs.

Level 1, Act 1:
This level is really good, it makes good use of water and has good flow, worked well with both Sonic and Silver. But for the love of god, PLEASE add a sky texture.

Level 1, Act 2:
The springs made this level slower than it should be, and one spring goes too high, you could improve on that. Silver didn't have as much trouble on this level as Sonic. This level was too short, also.

Crawla Army 30sec:
Sonic had no trouble, but Silver needed to hop on top of the Crawlas instead. In the end, this level wasn't a very good idea.

Level 2, Act 1:
The gap after the first spring could of been wider... WAAAAAAAAY wider! This level really needs some enemies too. Also with both Sonic and Silver I died at random times for no reason, why?

Level 2, Act 2:
4 second finish... yeah... that wasn't very fun.

Eggman:
More rings. And make the emerald more notisable, because I actually forgot about it on my Silver playtest.

Prepare:
Nice name there! :D Perhaps this level could be a Special Stage instead, though.

Final Fight:
Super Sonic allowed for some cheap hits due to his invincibility, but Silver (having no Super Form) had more of a challenge and made this fight generally more fun. I notised that this level also lacks thok barriers... do all your levels lack thok barriers?

-----------------------

I give this mod a 4 out of 5, because it is quite good for a first WAD, like I said earlier.

EDIT: My vote in the poll: Yes, finish it.

Ok so taking what you said into consideration i've made a slightly newer one.
Its the full version of Sycamore Hill With the new act 1 a modfied version of the second act and a proper boss fight you can get it here:

http://www.supersanctuary.com/srpgp/ffh/586179

Im gonna leave sycamore hill for a while to work on the others (so far i've onl got 3 zones planned) but I will show some screen shots of them as well as maybe a demo.

Im going to post screenshots soon too

Woah, that's a great improvement from before. You did well.

Here are some things I notised.

Both levels:
Being 2D, it's harder to create interesting levels, adding slopes, staircases, platforms and multiple routes (and perhaps hidden areas only accessable by certain characters?) could improve these levels. Other than that, the levels look nice, and weren't too easy/difficult for the first levels either.
You also forgot Thok barriers again, I did a spin-dash through a wall accidentally at one stage.

SHZ1:
The texture on the side of the waterfalls seem to be incorrect.
Needs ring trails.
A wider gap between the goal-post and the wall at the end would be nice.

SHZ2:
In more desperate need of ring trails, and some platforms too.
With the upward springs, consider some downward-diagonal springs floating above to keep the flow of the level.

On the 2d levels there are some textures to be fixed. Sycamore Hill beta is basically SHZ2 in 3D with alot of glitches.(don't know if it actually was like that.)

Good job, but this WAD needs some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back