My console doesn't handle punctuation properly in the SAY command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
There are some punctuation characters that don't print properly when I use them in the SAY console command. It prints one extra space before and after the character, which is really annoying. One such example is the apostrophe ('). For instance, if I type in the following command in the console:

Code:
say that's awesome

It prints this:

Code:
that ' s awesome

I know for a fact that this doesn't happen to everybody. I've seen plenty of people type apostrophes in the console without this happening. So what the heck is going on here?

The same thing happens with me. I just ignored it up untill now. It might just be a glitch. I don't know how to fix it.

Try putting quotation marks around your message. You honestly should do that for any parameter with a space in it:

say "That's awesome."
bind z "chasecam off"

The game will assume your multiple word say is multiple words, but it doesn't do a perfect job of it. It used to have that issue with the apostrophes whenever anyone typed anything at all. I don't remember when that bug was removed.

It's still a problem for MOTD, though. If you do one with an apostrophe, it has the issue whether or not you have quotation marks. But it does seem to work for regular messages.

Putting $10 on the fact that the SAYTO command that the MOTD executes isn't encased in quotes.

Just saying.

EDIT:
Code:
	if (server && motd[0] != '\0')
		COM_BufAddText(va("sayto %d %s\n", newplayernum, motd));

Whaddya know, I was right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back