Musical references and recycled musics in the Sonic series.

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
I'm pretty sure that everybody already knows about the Sonic 3D Blast themes being reused in Adventure 1 (being made only 2 years after)
like in that video
or that Ice Cap is from the Jetzons because of Brad Buxers, shown in that other video

but how about other themes? Do you have any other similarities?

I actually made a little list of these reused tracks back in 2012 in a text file:
Sonic 2 GG - Green Hills Zone
& Sonic Chaos - Mecha Green Hill Zone
& Sonic CD (Japan) - You Can Do Anything

Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - Green Grove Zone Acts 1 & 2
& Sonic Adventure - Windy Valley

Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - Panic Puppet Zone Act 1
& Sonic Adventure - Twinkle Park

Sonic Adventure - Lost World 2
& Sonic Adventure 2 - Event 10

Sonic Battle
- Emerl Customization Menu
- Colosseum
& Sonic Advance 3 - Nonaggression
- Start Demo
- EX-Demo #1

Sonic Battle - Holy Summit
& Sonic Advance 3 - Altar Emerald

Sonic 1 - Green Hill Zone
& Sonic Advance 3 - Sunset Hill Zone (Map+ all 3 acts)

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 - Eggman's Theme
& Sonic Unleashed - Sonic's Assult on Eggman's Base
- Eggman Land ~ Theme of Eggman
& Sonic Colors - Game Land - Title Screen
- Game Land - Stage Clear
- Game Land - Result Screen
Granted, this won't have everything ever, for instance the reused music in Sonic Chronicles, and the Jetzons song link (since that one was only learned a few years ago). EDIT: In hindsight the Lost World 2 reuse might also be a bit of a stretch since it's purely based on similar sounds being used rather than the actual tune.

Last edited:
The song that plays when Robotnik is introduced in the Sonic Movie is a more threatening and serious version of Robotnik’s theme from AoStH.

I actually made a little list of these reused tracks back in 2012 in a text file:

Granted, this won't have everything ever, for instance the reused music in Sonic Chronicles, and the Jetzons song link (since that one was only learned a few years ago). EDIT: In hindsight the Lost World 2 reuse might also be a bit of a stretch since it's purely based on similar sounds being used rather than the actual tune.
Event: Madness is indeed a remix of Danger: Chased by Rocks!

This may be explained as Geralt has probably found about Chaos long before Robotnik did (this may also explain why the Biolizard vaguely ressembles Perfect Chaos while Shadow looked more like Sonic).

In Sonic 4 Episode II, White Park contains a brief musical reference to Twinkle Park.
Sonic 4 Episode 2 is arguably better than Episode 1 in every way (especially musically) and the reference to Adventure 1 was a nice touch (considering it's the prequel to it). Wish they still made the level design better.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is arguably better than Episode 1 in every way (especially musically) and the reference to Adventure 1 was a nice touch (considering it's the prequel to it). Wish they still made the level design better.
Yeah, I prefer Episode II over Episode I. I don't really think either game is outright bad, but Episode I is tedious, unfun, and has jank physics. Episode II is enjoyable (But still not great) and has fixed physics, and it's actually a lot of fun to play with a friend. It almost makes me sad Episode III got canceled, it had potential to be a really cool conceptual mix between Episode II and Advance 3 with better level design.

Most people understand the VS Fang track in SRB2 as being a remix of his theme from Triple Trouble, and things like the Sapphire Falls multiplayer level remixing Green Hill's ever-pervasive tune. Of course some music even originates from other properties outside of just Sonic games (NiGHTS, Mario, the Egg Rock disco room/Disco Zombie music as coming ripped from Earthworm Jim 3D, Zero Ring referencing Zero Wing, and the previous Sonic Team Jr. intro with the Pure Fat truck - that tune actually derives from ClayFighter 63⅓'s title screen music!). What's most interesting to me though when it comes to references is Jade Valley's music: it's a light remaster of a MIDI from what was left of the Sonic: Emerald Quest fangame, sort of faintly relating to SRB2 which more about it can be read here, and either "Tails' House" or "Untitled 3" is what the MIDI file is called. In turn, it recycles a portion of the music played during the first two acts of Sunset Park in Triple Trouble, welcomely not the more popular Act 3 Marve Shupopolus-Gou train boss theme!

Most people understand the VS Fang track in SRB2 as being a remix of his theme from Triple Trouble, and things like the Sapphire Falls multiplayer level remixing Green Hill's ever-pervasive tune. Of course some music even originates from other properties outside of just Sonic games (NiGHTS, Mario, the Egg Rock disco room/Disco Zombie music as coming ripped from Earthworm Jim 3D, Zero Ring referencing Zero Wing, and the previous Sonic Team Jr. intro with the Pure Fat truck - that tune actually derives from ClayFighter 63⅓'s title screen music!). What's most interesting to me though when it comes to references is Jade Valley's music: it's a light remaster of a MIDI from what was left of the Sonic: Emerald Quest fangame, sort of faintly relating to SRB2 which more about it can be read here, and either "Tails' House" or "Untitled 3" is what the MIDI file is called. In turn, it recycles a portion of the music played during the first two acts of Sunset Park in Triple Trouble, welcomely not the more popular Act 3 Marve Shupopolus-Gou train boss theme!
That's very interesting to know!

I also want to point out that the intro of Mine Maze is strangely similar to Egg Utopia

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back