= Metroid Vanguard = Samus Aran in SRB2 [v1.5c]

= Metroid Vanguard = Samus Aran in SRB2 [v1.5c] v1.5c

I completed the single-player campaign, with all chaos emeralds and fully powered suit, but after the credits, I got the "Try Again..." message, and "Modified games can't unlock extras" (or something similar). (Not sure if that's supposed to happen.) After I returned to the game, there was nothing new, other than more info inside the ship. Is something special supposed to happen after finishing the game? Th
The modified games message is just something that it tells you after you beat the game with any non-whitelisted mod. There is nothing new you get after beating the game. Not to sure about the Try Again message.

The modified games message is just something that it tells you after you beat the game with any non-whitelisted mod. There is nothing new you get after beating the game. Not to sure about the Try Again message.
Apparently, I lost all the emeralds along the way. Maybe due to the Game Over's? But is that how this works? Even though the mod gives us save files, we can still lose all emeralds if we lose the game? Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Last edited:
Ok I was wrong. The gap in the door opens every time you fall in that white part in the bottomless pit. Just tried and got the upgrade.

This may be a weird question, but I'm not entirely sure how to create a save file to play through the vanilla campaign.

Opening "Start Metroid Vanguard.bat" is pretty much the same as opening the vanilla game and loading the addons "SamusMusic.pk3" and "SMCL_Samus-v1.pk3", correct?

But afterwards, in either way I start the mod, I try to start a game in a vacant save slot, and it doesn't let me do it.

So I decided to use this: https://mb.srb2.org/threads/custom-gamedata-allows-you-to-create-save-files-with-addons.27064/

This soc does allow me to create a save file with the mod, but I'm not sure that was the way you intended us to play it like.

After I start a save file, regardless of what method I use, the mod takes me to another screen where I can choose another save file. So it's a save file within a save file?

Anyway, I'm a bit confused. I hope you can help me clear it up. Thanks.
Ignore SRB2's save system entirely. You can freely select "no save" on SRB2's default menu, so don't bother using custom save datas. Because Samus' save system completely overrides SRB2's when she's being played as. That way it can be cross-compatible with mods and online. Plus, SRB2's default system is completely incapable of saving Samus' powerups and achievements.

YESSSSS! With SMS 2-3, you are the gift that keeps on giving. :wonderful:
As a little context, Shine gave me 2-3 on discord. I've uploaded it on my youtube channel.
It's...on the SMSreborn thread itself too. But thanks!

How do I rerun the setup. You know like my lockon style and the custom music load.
In your SRB2 folder, go into Luafiles > Client > MetroidVanguard, and then delete firstsetup.dat. That said, you can change stuff like lock-on style in the GunShip's options menu too! The First Setup is mainly to highlight some extra important options I absolutely wanted players to be aware of before they started playing.

Hey, I'm experiencing an issue. I just beat the game and got a 100% item completion rating. But when I try to play a level from the level select, I can only move and jump.
Post automatically merged:

I'm gonna guess this has a role to play in that
View attachment 42070
I feel like some mod causes this. This should be fixed in v1.1, but let me know if it persists.

I might be dumb, but it seems you should be able to look up and down right?? I'm using a controller, so I can move the camera right and left, but I don't can't look around vertically. Any solutions?
Kind of embarrassingly, SRB2 barely has proper support for controller. There are "look up" and "look down" buttons you can assign your controller sticks or buttons to, but the Lock-On should be able to fulfill any role you need, since you're never required to look up or down for anything in particular

How do you get past here View attachment 42288
Let the booster in the back of the room put you in speedbooster mode. Jump at full speed onto the glass and morph right as you land, continuing to hold forwards. If timed right, you're now doing the Mach Ball trick, and will fling right into the hole before the door closes! Don't swerve too much or you may not get there in time, or get crushed by the door.

I completed the single-player campaign, with all chaos emeralds and fully powered suit, but after the credits, I got the "Try Again..." message, and "Modified games can't unlock extras" (or something similar). (Not sure if that's supposed to happen.) After I returned to the game, there was nothing new, other than more info inside the ship. Is something special supposed to happen after finishing the game? Thanks
Don't worry. Again, Samus' save system takes priority over anything SRB2 tries to tell you.

At 100%, you should've gotten a superboss for the finale. If you beat that, that means your save now has achievement medals. 100% and C for CLEAR, probably! And you're likely still missing <5%, which means beating the game at 5% item rate or lower. If you beat the game at Hyper Mode or Fusion Mode, you'll get silver or even gold achievements instead of bronze. Or you can just take this 100% Samus online(if the server allows "all saves", that is) or into different mods whenever you like!

Apparently, I lost all the emeralds along the way. Maybe due to the Game Over's? But is that how this works? Even though the mod gives us save files, we can still lose all emeralds if we lose the game? Thanks for helping me figure this out.
Be careful about manually warping maps through the console. Like in regular SRB2, that removes your emeralds. That said, if you've obtained the
Hyper Beam
, you'll keep it regardless of the Emeralds yeeting themselves out of a window.

======================

Anyway, Metroid Vanguard's 1.1 version will come out sometime this weekend!

I love playing this mod! Thank you for the time you spent making it! Due to this mod being more on the shooty side as well, it led to me making a lua file so that directionchar gets turned on when pressing fire or normal fire, and is turned off after a few seconds. I made the Lua just so that it'd feel right when shooting using the "default" playstyle.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Don't worry. Again, Samus' save system takes priority over anything SRB2 tries to tell you.

At 100%, you should've gotten a superboss for the finale. If you beat that, that means your save now has achievement medals. 100% and C for CLEAR, probably! And you're likely still missing <5%, which means beating the game at 5% item rate or lower. If you beat the game at Hyper Mode or Fusion Mode, you'll get silver or even gold achievements instead of bronze. Or you can just take this 100% Samus online(if the server allows "all saves", that is) or into different mods whenever you like!
OK, cool. I do have the C and the 100% in my save file. Time to try to get to <5%, then.

By superboss, do you mean Egg Brak with all the enemies showing up? I did get to that. Not sure if there was anything else after. But since all my emeralds disappeared, I figure there's some boss or level I didn't unlock when I was supposed to.

Be careful about manually warping maps through the console. Like in regular SRB2, that removes your emeralds. That said, if you've obtained the
Hyper Beam
, you'll keep it regardless of the Emeralds yeeting themselves out of a window.
It's strange, because I didn't use any console command.
I got the "All-Emeralds Reward" a few levels before the final one, and kept it even after the emeralds disappeared, so that at least seems to be working.
(EDIT: Lost the emeralds again, this time just as I re-entered a save. EDIT2: I've confirmed that whenever I've caught at least one emerald, if I exit the save, then re-enter it, I no longer have the emerald. But maybe we don't need the 7 emeralds to 100% the game? Maybe their only purpose is to give us a reward, which indeed stays even if we lose them?)

Thanks again for answering.

Three more questions, though, is there a way to prevent the score from going back to 0 every time you die or re-enter the save file?

And, a few random times where I thought I was gonna die, at the final blow, instead of dying, Samus turned all glowing red, and in this state I could pretty much destroy everything. Was that some kind of power-up? Is there a way to know how to activate it, or is it just random?

Just got the ammo digitizer. What does it do? The ship doesn't seem to have any information about it, and the weapons' ammo in the HUD seem unchanged.

Thanks

Last edited:
This is REALLY good.
And kind of overpowered.
But that's sort of your thing now I guess.

However. I've just experienced a problem.
I started a multiplayer session with some mods, including SMCL_Samus-v1.pk3. But upon loading Greenflower, the game auto-loaded SamusMusic.pk3, and I don't know why yet.

UPDATE: Ok, so after some finicking, I realize that certain maps that the character pk3 adds need that music in the music pk3 since they're added maps.

So a request I have for a potential future update would be if you could add an option to keep the srb2 music where applicable.

Keywords here being "where applicable" since there is an option to remove the music, but it also does the same for stages that don't have any music to revert to.

Last edited:
I've confirmed that whenever I've caught at least one emerald, if I exit the save, then re-enter it, I no longer have the emerald.

But maybe we don't need the 7 emeralds to 100% the game? Maybe their only purpose is to give us a reward, which indeed stays even if we lose them?

And, a few random times where I thought I was gonna die, at the final blow, instead of dying, Samus turned all glowing red, and in this state I could pretty much destroy everything. Was that some kind of power-up? Is there a way to know how to activate it, or is it just random?

Just got the ammo digitizer. What does it do? The ship doesn't seem to have any information about it, and the weapons' ammo in the HUD seem unchanged.

Thanks
When you get any item, it gives you a message in the top left on what it does. You can even check the console if you missed it. The Ammo Digitizer gives you 3x ammo from any ammo pickups. You can spam beam combos on RVZ1's enemy hordes and still get more ammo than you lost.
It's a miracle chance, but you can make it guaranteed if you find out how to lit all 4 lights at the top of your visor.

I started a multiplayer session with some mods, including SMCL_Samus-v1.pk3. But upon loading Greenflower, the game auto-loaded SamusMusic.pk3, and I don't know why yet.

UPDATE: Ok, so after some finicking, I realize that certain maps that the character pk3 adds need that music in the music pk3 since they're added maps.

So a request I have for a potential future update would be if you could add an option to keep the srb2 music where applicable.
Did you mash through the first-setup menu? It asked you if Samus should auto-add music. If you go to the SRB2 folder, then into luafiles>client>metroidvanguard and delete firstsetup.dat, you can go through it again and see it for yourself.

This is REALLY good.
And kind of overpowered.
But that's sort of your thing now I guess.
This is how you know somebody hasn't really fought the custom bosses or completed a 5% run. :P

-----------------------------

Metroid Vanguard 1.1 is now out! It features quality of life changes, balance adjustments, bugfixes, and an in-level warning in ACZ4 with the option to hide a scene for those sensitive to intense violence!

Changelog and download in the release post!

This is how you know somebody hasn't really fought the custom bosses or completed a 5% run. :P
Welllllll, I *did* just get 100% today, but I guess it might be more overpowered against vanilla-style enemies.

Did you mash through the first-setup menu? It asked you if Samus should auto-add music. If you go to the SRB2 folder, then into luafiles>client>metroidvanguard and delete firstsetup.dat, you can go through it again and see it for yourself.
That's true. but how would I set this in, say a multiplayer server that had multiple characters added?
In this example, I would want to play through srb2 with world events off and have the non-samus music going?

Also thank you for the ACZ4 censor.

UPDATE: Upon downloading the update and running that batch file, I got an update saying a wad was invalid or could not be found. With further inspection, I found this inconsistency in the files.
Capture.PNG

The file name contains a dot, but the batch file calls for a dash, thus getting an error.

Also if I don't use a custom save addon, there's no level select when you clear the game, which would be very handy.

I hope I haven't been too demanding.

Last edited:
Question with regard to a feature for the Shinespark, can there be an option for the Shinespark to move at the angle of the camera pointing? (So for example, if you jump and hold forward from a Shine, the Shinespark will move in the forward direction of the camera, at the angle the camera is pointing). I'm asking cause it's a bit jarring that the Spark already doesn't do that, even though the Screw Attack does, and they both seem to go in directions based on whether you're holding jump or spin.

I gotta say, while The ACZ4 corpse was brutal, MAN did it feel fitting though, as weird as that may sound.
Not gonna lie it really makes me wish Samus had her own campaign dude, because god, the whole thing was fitting enough to get me immersed into a literal sonic mod.
Also, Holy SHIT was the Dark Samus fight awesome, both her and the Omega Metroid fights were so god damn cool, and I wish there was more of it
I get this might be like the final version for Vanguard, but if anything, Did you ever thing about throwing in the X Parasites as a potential fight/SA-X as a potential boss fight? Or would that just get too cluttered in terms of the story and gameplay.
Also, Dark Samus character mod when, always loved her as an antagonist and her boss fight was just so god damn good, it makes me wanna see a prequel to this mod with her in it.

The file name contains a dot, but the batch file calls for a dash, thus getting an error.
Rectified the bat file issue on all download links. That's what I get for rushing together the zip...

if I don't use a custom save addon, there's no level select when you clear the game, which would be very handy.
Why not use the vanilla game's levelselect in extra>level select? Then once you loaded in Samus, select "start from current stage" to have your save file start off in that stage.

How would I set this in, say a multiplayer server that had multiple characters added?
In this example, I would want to play through srb2 with world events off and have the non-samus music going?
It's all person-dependent. If they have the music auto-add feature enabled, it'll try to add it for them, if not, it won't. It won't affect the actual netgame either way, since music doesn't need to sync. Music packs don't get send across servers either unless you add a non-music file in there.
Question with regard to a feature for the Shinespark, can there be an option for the Shinespark to move at the angle of the camera pointing? (So for example, if you jump and hold forward from a Shine, the Shinespark will move in the forward direction of the camera, at the angle the camera is pointing). I'm asking cause it's a bit jarring that the Spark already doesn't do that, even though the Screw Attack does, and they both seem to go in directions based on whether you're holding jump or spin.
It was intentional. Being able to perfectly angle a Shinespark is super overpowered in 3D. With a 20 degree Shinespark, you could cross all of Arid Canyon. If I were okay with that, it'd still be rude to people not using a mouse. The Screw Attack has serious limitations on how high it'll go, so I get away with it there.
I gotta say, while The ACZ4 corpse was brutal, MAN did it feel fitting though, as weird as that may sound.
Not gonna lie it really makes me wish Samus had her own campaign dude, because god, the whole thing was fitting enough to get me immersed into a literal sonic mod.
Also, Holy SHIT was the Dark Samus fight awesome, both her and the Omega Metroid fights were so god damn cool, and I wish there was more of it
I get this might be like the final version for Vanguard, but if anything, Did you ever thing about throwing in the X Parasites as a potential fight/SA-X as a potential boss fight? Or would that just get too cluttered in terms of the story and gameplay.
I wish I could make an SRB2-length from-scratch campaign without it consuming my life for the next 10 years. The project was almost delayed for another month for Ridley, animated in a similar way to the Omega Metroid, but spriting turned out too difficult/time-consuming for the spriter.

I doubt I'd ever make an X or SA-X fight. I put this before Prime 3, so it'd be kind of forced. You could always pretend to be the SA-X in a deathmatch. :P Besides, with Dark Samus already in as the Samus clone boss, I feel it's a bit redundant.

Why not use the vanilla game's levelselect in extra>level select? Then once you loaded in Samus, select "start from current stage" to have your save file start off in that stage.
Heheh, yeah... I realized that around 10 minutes later.

It's all person-dependent. If they have the music auto-add feature enabled, it'll try to add it for them, if not, it won't. It won't affect the actual netgame either way, since music doesn't need to sync. Music packs don't get send across servers either unless you add a non-music file in there.
Ohhhh. Cool.

I doubt I'd ever make an X or SA-X fight. I put this before Prime 3, so it'd be kind of forced. You could always pretend to be the SA-X in a deathmatch. :P Besides, with Dark Samus already in as the Samus clone boss, I feel it's a bit redundant.
Fair, pretty understandable as is.
God though, with a mod like this it has me wanting more, especially in the vein of some Hunters content.
A Fully fledged Class-based metroid fps in the vein of Mega Man: 8-Bit Deathmatch with hunters like Sylux or Weavel would be absolutely amazing. Especially if you got shit like Dark Samus, Rundus, and some other bounty hunters/antagonists thrown into the mix
Man it makes me wanna try my hand at modding If I knew how to code in the DOOM/SRB2 engine
Hell, something like that with all these crazy character mods thrown in as well, like Duke and Tailsguy, would make for a very interesting fps mode.
if a campaign isn't possible, then by god, I'll still be hoping for some more metroid characters at the very least, because this mod is and will always be fun for me Even if there aren't any servers up hosting the mod currently, big F on that part.

There's major potential for map packs based around this, could we get permission to use it and certain things like the stuff from DSZ4 and ACZ4 for example?

Back