Mega Man X, which is your favorite?

rocklight124

An Avenger
Which Mega Man X title is your favorite. I would make a thread for the Zero games, but I haven't played it *braces for impact* please don't kill me for saying that. I'll leave the Zero series to my brother!

I'm between Megaman X1 and X3, both are awesome games.

(i don't really like X2)

I'm pretty torn between X4 and X8. X4 is probably the better game overall, but X8 has a lot of really fun unlockables.

I've only ever done a full playthrough of the first, and with the exception of X2 and X7, I really haven't played any of the rest. I can safely say X7 is not my favorite.

I've always heard X1 is the best, and personally I've always found it satisfying to play. I just wasn't curious enough of the rest of the series to delve further.
Post automatically merged:

The first one (but I still think that the classic series is better)
I'm a big classic Mega stan, but I honestly think X1 might be better than all of the classics. Say what you want about the rest of the X series.

I've only ever done a full playthrough of the first, and with the exception of X2 and X7, I really haven't played any of the rest. I can safely say X7 is not my favorite.

I've always heard X1 is the best, and personally I've always found it satisfying to play. I just wasn't curious enough of the rest of the series to delve further.

I'm a big classic Mega stan, but I honestly think X1 might be better than all of the classics. Say what you want about the rest of the X series.
I'm a big fan of the classic series to, but I do agree that X1 is better than just about any Mega Man game out there. PS you ain't missing much about the rest of the X series. Lots of hits and miss, mostly miss tho.

I like X2 a lot, but I think my favorite is X1. I also enjoy some parts of X3.

I'd still say that MM2 is the best game in the series with MMX being a close second.

X7 sucks because Megaman only works in 2D.

X1 takes the fave spot for me... for now. It's level design, bosses and music all are top notch, and the plot resonates with me~ I haven't played all of the series by far, but I also adored X3 especially music wise, but X2 wasn't as good- sad as I like the additional lore they give Zero, and like the music especially that rocking intro stage. I played X4 years ago and forgot most of it... thankfully, I'm planning on replaying the series via the Legacy Collection, or I'm gonna get the individual games elsewhere- IIRC the Saturn versions of the later games are really good? They're all still classics in my book! On CobaltBW's note, it's also totally valid to not have wanted to go through the whole X series. It was actually supposed to end with X5 and then transition to Zero... but executive meddling demanded more X games. X6 still gave us good tunes at least, and apparently X8 is good?

Anyways, I do prefer X over Classic so far. The more serious tone, the music and extra movement options I enjoy over classic but that doesn't mean I dislike classic Mega Man, in fact Mega Man 7 is one of my fave games outright!

Reminder that the Legends series was amazing, gave us Misadventures of Tron Bonne, and I'm eternally sad that Capcom never finished Legends 3.

X7 isn't really a bad game, it's just less fun than the others, partly due to balancing issues and partly due to the action being very slow paced. Mega Man absolutely can work in 3D, as demonstrated by the Legends series and various fangames.

I'd still say that MM2 is the best game in the series with MMX being a close second.

MM2 has some problematic level design and a pretty obnoxiously designed wily tower boss, and there are pretty obvious imbalances between some of the weapons. There's a lot I like about MM2 but I can't call it the best. In comparison, I can't point out a single flaw to X1 off the top of my head.

It doesn't surprise me that X7 is terrible, but it's not because the concept itself is bad; every experiment requires iteration cycles. A lot of things can work in 3D with the right execution, but it's an entirely different formula even if you're drawing on 2D game design. X1 is the cultivation of years of a pre-existing platformer formula being polished and refined by a major game developer, with new features and game mechanics added on top of a gameplay formula already proven to work. But X7's 3D gameplay has no Capcom predecessor to draw from (with the possible exception of Legends, which is still a wildly different game from X7), and it's trying to pull all pre-existing X gameplay elements into a new 3D gameplay formula that hasn't had the time for its fundamentals to be fleshed out.

Saying Mega Man can't work in 3D is a lot like saying Mario can't work in 3D. People don't realize that a lot of sacrifices and compromises are made in the transition to 3D even in a game like Super Mario 64 -- powerup mechanics are totally different, movement revolves around jump techniques rather than momentum physics, and so on. A true 3D representation of classic Mario gameplay wasn't produced by Nintendo until decades later with Super Mario 3D Land, and there's probably good reasons for why it took so long.

MM2 has some problematic level design and a pretty obnoxiously designed wily tower boss, and there are pretty obvious imbalances between some of the weapons. There's a lot I like about MM2 but I can't call it the best. In comparison, I can't point out a single flaw to X1 off the top of my head.

It doesn't surprise me that X7 is terrible, but it's not because the concept itself is bad; every experiment requires iteration cycles. A lot of things can work in 3D with the right execution, but it's an entirely different formula even if you're drawing on 2D game design. X1 is the cultivation of years of a pre-existing platformer formula being polished and refined by a major game developer, with new features and game mechanics added on top of a gameplay formula already proven to work. But X7's 3D gameplay has no Capcom predecessor to draw from (with the possible exception of Legends, which is still a wildly different game from X7), and it's trying to pull all pre-existing X gameplay elements into a new 3D gameplay formula that hasn't had the time for its fundamentals to be fleshed out.

Saying Mega Man can't work in 3D is a lot like saying Mario can't work in 3D. People don't realize that a lot of sacrifices and compromises are made in the transition to 3D even in a game like Super Mario 64 -- powerup mechanics are totally different, movement revolves around jump techniques rather than momentum physics, and so on. A true 3D representation of classic Mario gameplay wasn't produced by Nintendo until decades later with Super Mario 3D Land, and there's probably good reasons for why it took so long.
I was gonna say that I don't like MM2, because of the glaring flaws. But you gave me a reason to speak up. I hat the wily sages in that game not fun at all, because the 1-3 platforms made just awful. And the boss that you can only kill with the crash bomb is just stupid. I'm not playing Mega Man for the puzzles.

And X7 I'm to scared to even turn that game on since I have the X legacy collection.

I can dig the puzzles up until the sentry system boss. I'm pretty sure that actually takes two tries to beat unless you do some crazy bullshit.

And X7 I'm to scared to even turn that game on since I have the X legacy collection.
If you are playing via the Legacy Collection, I'd actually recommend playing X7 with Rookie Hunter mode enabled. It doesn't fix the slow pace of the game, and Flame Hyanard is still Flame Hyanard and therefore annoying, but the scaling issues are a lot less of a problem. It makes the game a lot less infuriating of an experience.

Last edited:
If you are playing via the Legacy Collection, I'd actually recommend playing X7 with Rookie Hunter mode enabled. It doesn't fix the slow pace of the game, and Flame Hyanard is still Flame Hyanard and therefore annoying, but the scaling issues are a lot less of a problem. It makes the game a lot less infuriating of an experience.
Thanks I'll try that, because it can't be worse than Mega Man X6.

I can dig the puzzles up until the sentry system boss. I'm pretty sure that actually takes two tries to beat unless you do some crazy bullshit.
Low-key don't wanna tell you how many times I had to fight that boss to win.

To be honest, I really enjoyed the x7. They will kill me for that surely but it didn't seem like a bad game to me. Although it is true that it is the worst of the saga but I must see it from a point where it is called "innovate", in fact I think it was my third megaman x

I'm a big fan of the classic series to, but I do agree that X1 is better than just about any Mega Man game out there. PS you ain't missing much about the rest of the X series. Lots of hits and miss, mostly miss tho.
The hits are up to x5, the misses started, but not very noticeably, at x6. In x7 it was quite noticeable and in x8 not so much, it is a good game with quite interesting plot twists

I've made up my mind, my favorite megaman x installment is the x6. I know that it contradicts many things in the history of the megaman x saga, since the x5 was going to be the last of the x saga, but I enjoyed them a lot, although I could never reach the final boss since I was scared

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back