Measurements for S_SKIN values?

RamenDoodleSoop

local shoe eater
When making the S_SKIN files for characters, I constantly find myself inputting random values for the normalspeed and accelstart values and seeing what works. Now I'm wondering if there are any measurements (e.g. FRACUNITs) for these values. The wiki doesn't appear to say anything about this, and there are no discussion pages on those pages either.

Last edited:
I suppose I should have clarified. What I meant was that I'm not sure what the normalspeed and accelstart in S_SKIN files are measured in

I may sound stupid but I couldn't find anything about this anywhere. I tried looking for a Doom Legacy wiki but I came up with a dead link anyway

normalspeed is "measured" in FRACUNITs per tic. Basically, a normalspeed of 100 means you'd be traveling at 100 FRACUNITs every tic at max speed.

Acceleration is not measured on anything.
Player acceleration is just a formula for how much thrust the player object is given when they want to move forwards.
On normal conditions, the formula is (accelstart + (speed/FRACUNIT) * acceleration) * thrustfactor

Something I learned today: accelstart is an UINT8 integer. What this means is that the range of this integer goes form 0 to 255, and anything past it wraps around. The maximum accelstart for any character is 255.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back