Match Level Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

It's that time again. I'm attempting to alter the match level rotation to be more interesting. We have 10 slots, and while some of the stages are definitely going to stay, a few can easily be swapped out with something else or something new.

These are the stages currently available for use in 1.09.4. Locked stages will be staying no matter what, assuming there isn't some major flaw found in them for some reason.

Airborne Temple Zone (Locked)
Meadow Match Zone (Locked)
Thunder Citadel Zone (Locked)
Sapphire Falls Zone (Locked)
Jade Valley Zone
Hydro Plant Zone
Noxious Factory Zone
Desolate Twilight Zone
Zero Ring Zone
Zim's Base Zone
Grass Plateau Zone
Midnight Abyss Zone
Green Upheaval Zone
Starlit Warehouse Zone

I'd also like to note that levels not on this list could be added, but I need the permission of the author to use the map. So before you all go and request Tree Ring Zone, I'd like to note that I can't seem to get in contact with Some guy, so I can't use the stage.

Other than that, I'd like comments of what levels you like, don't like, and most importantly: why?

Zero Ring has gameplay issues, but personally, I think the usage of that old joke is kinda amusing, considering the joke _is_ that old. If I can, I'd love to repair Zero Ring's gameplay problems, but it wouldn't be easy.

I'll have to admit that when I first looked at Zero Wing, I found it quite amusing, though I was just exploring without it being a true MP game. That said, I already know one of the said gameplay problems: The U tube doesn't work all the time (At least it doesn't in 1.09.2. I haven't checked in 1.09.3.) and when it does work, it's completely disorientating, to say the least.

Please, PLEASE, don't put Midnight Abyss Zone and Starlit Warehouse Zone back into the game. I beg you ;_;.

Instead, throw in something cool, like me! *shot*

Shuffle said:
Please, PLEASE, don't put Midnight Abyss Zone and Starlit Warehouse Zone back into the game. I beg you ;_;.

Instead, throw in something cool, like me! *shot*
Suggest some better alternatives. I plan to alter Starlit Warehouse to include indoor area, but I haven't done it yet.

Starlit Warehouse Zone was a great concept, personally. My only gripe is that it's a bit clunky to get around as Sonic; springs work for getting up to the tops of the buildings, but then you'd have to jump on the edge of the building and then the little extruding things, to get at the items on top.

Then those floating platforms that lead you up to the one in the center of the stage... maybe you could use the power of linedef executors to make those activate when you jump on them, and deactivate when you get off (using an invisible intangible FOF, of course, because you don't want people down on the ground triggering the platform), so that the platforms are ready for players to hop on without much question. If you followed all that, that is.

Midnight Abyss Zone... was that the floaty stage with the giant death pit? Forgot what it was like, really.

Ditch Jade Valley and Zero Ring. Keep Midnight Abyss, Starlit Warehouse, Green Upheaval and Hydro Plant. Everything else I haven't played.

Flying Shrine was one of those two-second jobs that never had any thought put into it. I never thought of it as very good, personally. If other people think contrary, though, I'll certainly consider it. It wasn't BAD by any means, just not particularly good either.

Take out Zim's Base. As much as SSNTails loves him, Zim doesn't reallly fit into SRB2, but he and his level should just be WAD files, as people taunting with Zim can get annoying sometimes in netgames.

Zero Ring needs to go, as the AYB fad has gotten VERY old, and just isn't funny anymore.

Green Upheaval just seems too small, and isn't really anything special.

Jade Yalley needs to go away for same reasons that Neo said.

Jade Valley needs to be exterminated at once. It's been sapped out of all the gameplay it has to offer.

Hydro Plant should stay. The new design is sufficient to amuse one yet again.

Noxious Factory, in my opinion, is actually a good level. I don't think it should be canned. However, some fixes are in order, such as making the crusher conveyor route a little more accessible.

Desolate Twilight - Meh. It's not a bad stage, but there are several others that need to be kept with greater urgency.

Zero Ring is old. Very old. New gameplay is due, since I know very well it's never getting removed. Might I suggest adding ring weapons to the top areas, to further expand the battle area? Also, easier means of getting from the main floor to the one above should be installed. Finally, be sure to make a tight chute around the vertical spring's course heading out of the pit, as to avoid cheap shots.

Zim's Base is another of those that'll never disappear. The problem is, this one sucks. What you should do is add some Rail to the top levels. That'll encourage leaving the floor, as well as promise some different gameplay. Also, the memory failure problem has got to go before this map becomes anything other than MAP99.

Grass Plateau is really nothing special. Desolate Twilight is far better both in design and looks. So, it should be kept with less urgency than ol' Nocturnal Sahara.

Midnight Abyss is a good level. I approve of it. Some really wacky matches can occur in it, don't drop it =P

Green Upheaval is homing abuse. Provide a better version, and maybe we'll talk.

Starlit Warehouse is a rather good change. Inside areas sound promising, but the moving platforms have got to go. Sonic takes half the time of the match just to reach a friggin' ring box. Change it to Explosion or Rail, and make it easier to access, then we'll see.

So, to me, a good rotation would be:

Meadow Match Zone
Zero Ring Zone
Airborne Temple Zone
Thunder Citadel Zone
Sapphire Falls Zone
Noxious Factory Zone
Starlit Warehouse Zone
Hydro Plant Zone
Midnight Abyss Zone
Zim's Base Zone

I, personally, think that Twin Hills (1.08 CTF map, for those who don't know), made an excellent match map. It wasn't altogether too large, and played very well. I would think it's something worth considering.

Actually, I'm not sure I like Zim's Base, simply because the freakin' large textures slow down just about every editor I can think of. The level design's okay, but those textures... urgh.

Zim's base just isn't too good, why the heck does so much Zim even show up in this game?
Midnight Abyys is a good one, keep it!

Desolate Twilight is just a neat little level

Zero Ring is nice, but it could use some modifications.

Hydro Plant is a nice one, though give the players an excuse to leave the center area, like some shields or special rings in the tunnels.

Starlit Warehouse rocked. That simple design was actually pretty good.

And who said you had to keep yourself to just the match levels here? A few of the previous match levels in the contest were pretty good, I honestly think Rush Job or Rocky Ravine might do nice in .09.4, after a small bit of touching up.

Of course, we all know Greenery Hotel should definately be put in... *shot, maimed, killed*

may I suggest adding the following maps to the rotation?

Match:

Greenery hotel
Tree ring

CTF:

Crystal dimension
Metal star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back