Map Script Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my level waits 3 minutes before the player dies and I wanted a script to show how long is left. Well, when I did it, it stopped allowing you to talk in the level or use any command. How do I fix this?

Level 139
LevelName = Emerald Forest
ForceCharacter = 0
LevelSelect = 1
Hidden = 0
TimeAttack = 1
MusicSlot = 45
NextLevel = 140
ScriptIsLump = 1
ScriptName = MAPB3SCR
SkyNum = 1
SpeedMusic = 1
Act = 3
Countdown = 180
TypeOfLevel = 4099

tunes 45
wait 5950
tunes 1042
cecho "\\\\\\\\10"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\09"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\08"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\07"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\06"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\05"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\04"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\03"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\02"
wait 35
cecho "\\\\\\\\01"
wait 35
cecho "Level Failed!"

Because when you make a script "wait", it stops ALL other commands until it's done waiting.

Only 3 minutes? I'd really suggest against using the countdown, but 3 minutes is insanely short for a Sonic time limit. The classic games limited you to 10 minutes, after all.

It's a short level that could be completed in one minute and thirty seconds.

I never knew why they did 10 minutes as the time limit. I can beat most of the levels in Sonic The Hedgehog (1, 2, and 3) in under 5 minutes. Also, on Sonic CD, I can beat the first few zones in under 4 minutes.

But I do now see the point that 10 minutes would give the character a chance to explore but their really isn't that many things you can get besides a hidden emblem, a hidden token and some boxes.

So should I remove the wait thing and just call it a day?

Use cwait. If I'm remembering correctly it tells THE SCRIPT ITSELF to wait, not the whole game's commands. I remember playing with those types of scripts a while back when I was into level design.

Or it might be something else. Try it first, and if it doesn't work, I might be able to find the WAD with the script that originally gave me the idea of using that. I just gotta remember it's name.

Last edited:
I'll try that.........

Edit: it doesen't work. Its not a default command. I guess its from 1.09.4 and got removed...

Last edited:
*remembers something* I think Mystic Realm uses cwait in it's scripts for the Mystic Temples. I'll dig my old 1.09.4 version outta my Stuffz folder and see if I'm right.

EDIT: Yes, my SRB2 folder was moved into a random folder named Stuffz.

Mystic used cechoduration, not wait. Even if I did cechoduration, it would show for that time instead of wait for that time...

You see, the problem with a time limit in SRB2 is that it punishes the player for occasional design problems you couldn't have foreseen. For instance, if a player gets lost or otherwise can't figure out where they're supposed to go to complete the level, instead of being able to sit around and try to figure out what they're supposed to do, the game just kills them for no reason. This is a very frustrating problem for the player because the game is punishing them for something that's not their fault.

The time limit in the classic games was implemented because the old engine has the nasty quirk of occasionally having Sonic pass through walls or otherwise have the collision detection break down, trapping the player inside something. The time limit is there so that if this happens, the player doesn't have to reset their console.

I just found out about a map that uses waiting in a map. (Example: Wait 45 seconds before water rises and falls) How can I execute a script using that or is it impossible?

I just found out about a map that uses waiting in a map. (Example: Wait 45 seconds before water rises and falls) How can I execute a script using that or is it impossible?
It is obviously not impossible, otherwise it wouldn't be in the game. I'd suggest you'd take a look at the level in SRB2 Doom Builder and see how it's done (because I can't tell you, to be honest).

Its MAP92, by the way.

Anyways, I looked at it and I saw a Gargoyle being pushed on a scrolling floor. I think that it goes to another linedef that executes the linedef action that changes the water or in this case, runs the script. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it properly. >_<

Its MAP92, by the way.
O rly? I think that was somewhat obvious...

Anyways, I looked at it and I saw a Gargoyle being pushed on a scrolling floor. I think that it goes to another linedef that executes the linedef action that changes the water or in this case, runs the script. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it properly. >_<
That's what I thought it would work like. This method is called "Gargoyle Box" and is documented on the wiki.

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Timed_Linedef_Executor_-_Gargoyle_Box

Good luck!

I'm reading now but I noticed something intresting. You can change the sky number and music when you use the timed linedef executor. Like TimeOfDay and 1.09.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back