Making the game remember the player's preferred settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Falcon

I like playing SRB2 from a first person view, but having to keep on turning the 3rd person view camera off is a pain for me - especially in Time Attack Mode, where pressing ESC doesnt take you to the menu so you can change settings.

Also, I notice that if I turn the 3rd person camera off before entering Single Player Mode, my camera will be at a 3rd person view when I enter the first level. If I press ESC and go to the settings menu, I find that my 3rd person view camera has been turned on again - I didnt turn it back on myself. (I think this may also happen in multiplayer mode, but i havent tried it myself)

maybe they would update that for 1.1 im not sure but that would be a nice feature when entering a match net game, only to get shot while changing the camera.

You can set up an autoexec.cfg file so you can change the camera faster.

Open notepad and put
Code:
bind x "toggle chasecam"

Save as "autoexec.cfg" (make sure you include the quotes). You can change x to whatever key you want. When you press that key, it changes the camera.

EDIT: Make sure you have the letter in lowercase or it will not work.

Are you sure it is autoexec.cfg and not autoexec.cfg.txt? If it has that notepad icon, then it is a good indication that you have it as a txt file and not a cfg file. You should change the hide known extensions in the folder options so you can see the full file name and extension.

The key allows you to change the camera on the fly, but not change the configuration so it stays permanent.

It should be typed exactly like how it in the code statement. It needs to have the quotation marks or it will not work.

It also needs to be in the same folder srb2win.exe is stored.

Yes, Torgo, my file is autoexec.cfg, NOT autoexec.cfg.txt. Have you tried this yourself, or are you just saying what should work in theory? Because I followed your instructions exactly, and it didn't work.

Re: Making the game remember the player's preferred settings

Zero Falcon said:
- especially in Time Attack Mode, where pressing ESC doesnt take you to the menu so you can change settings.

I don't think Time Attack allows you to change your camera.

I don't use toggle. I sort of remember that it didn't really work. That, or that I didn't like it much. Instead, I use two separate buttons to turn them on and off. Then by memory, I just press the one I want.

Using Torgo's code, try "chasecam on" and "chasecam off" instead of toggle. If that doesn't work, then you're definitely doing something wrong.

Okay, I figured out the problem. It doesn't like that it when you use a capital letter instead of a lowercase letter.

I always use numbers as my bind keys, so I didn't know that SRB2 was so picky like that. So you need to do a lowercase x like
Code:
bind x "toggle chasecam"

Torgo said:
Okay, I figured out the problem. It doesn't like that it when you use a capital letter instead of a lowercase letter.

I always use numbers as my bind keys, so I didn't know that SRB2 was so picky like that. So you need to do a lowercase x like
Code:
bind x "toggle chasecam"

Tried it and works for me - your letters must be lowercase :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back