Mac or PC...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although gaming on the mac seems to be somewhat improving (games on steam), I'd still pick windows over mac, simply because windows has more programs for what I need compared to mac.

Yes but, Enter to open files? Do you use the arrow keys? And most of all, Ever heard of a MOUSE??????

On the contrary, I must ask, have you ever heard of a keyboard? The mouse isn't this magical device that makes all your tasks easier. In some cases, it can make you life a lot harder. Next time you are in a file manager, start typing out the beginning of the file or folder name in a directory sorted by name. Then hit the arrow keys a few times (if necessary) and hit Enter. And don't tell me that isn't convenient.

There are a lot of tasks that can be made easier by using the keyboard. In Linux I assign common programs to key shortcuts for launch, such as Winkey + Alt + T to open up the text editor, or I can use Winkey + Alt + Space to open up KRunner where I can type in part of an application's name. Results are shown in a list, and I can hit Enter if it's the first entry, or use Tab to jump down a few entries and then hit Enter. Once you start using the keyboard to launch your programs, you will never want to go back to menu surfing again (that is, unless you want to see a grand list of your applications or you forget the name or something).

And of course there are also the graphical environments for Linux that favor the keyboard greatly over the mouse, assigning just about any UI action to the keyboard, not just the mouse (and they sometimes forsake the mouse, making it so you only use the keyboard to perform those actions). But since Linux is so swell when it comes to customization, you don't have to use one of those graphical environments. It doesn't mean the keyboard isn't useful, though.

The issue Cue is pointing out isn't about using the keyboard to operate Finder, the file manager in OS X, it's that Finder uses nonsense keyboard shortcuts that deviate from what most systems use, both Windows and Linux/Unix graphical environments.

Last edited:
No, I type with my mouse.....

On the contrary, I must ask, have you ever heard of a keyboard? The mouse isn't this magical device that makes all your tasks easier. In some cases, it can make you life a lot harder. Next time you are in a file manager, start typing out the beginning of the file or folder name in a directory sorted by name. Then hit the arrow keys a few times (if necessary) and hit Enter. And don't tell me that isn't convenient.

There are a lot of tasks that can be made easier by using the keyboard. In Linux I assign common programs to key shortcuts for launch, such as Winkey + Alt + T to open up the text editor, or I can use Winkey + Alt + Space to open up KRunner where I can type in part of an application's name. Results are shown in a list, and I can hit Enter if it's the first entry, or use Tab to jump down a few entries and then hit Enter. Once you start using the keyboard to launch your programs, you will never want to go back to menu surfing again (that is, unless you want to see a grand list of your applications or you forget the name or something).

And of course there are also the graphical environments for Linux that favor the keyboard greatly over the mouse, assigning just about any UI action to the keyboard, not just the mouse (and they sometimes forsake the mouse, making it so you only use the keyboard to perform those actions). But since Linux is
so swell when it comes to customization, you don't have to use one of those graphical environments. It doesn't mean the keyboard isn't useful, though.

The issue Cue is pointing out isn't about using the keyboard to operate Finder, the file manager in OS X, it's that Finder uses nonsense keyboard shortcuts that deviate from what most systems use, both Windows and Linux/Unix graphical environments.

No I havn't heard of a key board, I typed this with my mouse.

I do know what you mean but for simple tasks a mouse can make navigating easier. OF coarse when you want to do complicated selection or some other opperation then the keyboard and shortcuts can make life easier. I use a keyboard when nessisary but mostly use a mouse.

I'm not sure

I forgot to answer the post

I had a mac but that was along time
ago. I still have it but it's 14 years old and is well, crap by today's standards. It was good in it's day but now it's just old. Now I have a HP laptop with vista. I have to say the new computer is a lot better but it's an unfair statement. A 1.5 year old computer againsed a 14 yeahlr old out dated computer. I don't have enough experience with the new macs to really fairly tell which one's better. Although I did like the old mac's interface. (I havn't used it in a LONG time.)

Last edited:
  • You press enter to rename a file, and this is the only way, even the right click menu has no 'rename' option.
  • You press space to enter a folder (see above for what should be used for entering a folder).
  • etc etc.

*cough*

You can change those options in system preferences. And keeping that in mind, if you press the "CTRL" key and click with the regular single button mouse, it brings up the right click menu.

Yeah

*cough*

You can change those options in system preferences. And keeping that in mind, if you press the "CTRL" key and click with the regular single button mouse, it brings up the right click menu.

Yes, I agree
you can configure the buttons and also not all apple mouses are 1 buttons so if you object to 1 button mouses then get a new mouse. The mouses that apple is making now are all 2 button mouses. (which is even better)

So where exactly did I mention having a single button mouse?

Mine has 7. :|

I use Linux (Kubuntu and previously Ubuntu) practically exclusively. For everything but gaming, it's the superior operating system, and that one weakness in gaming can easily be addressed when developers actually start targeting Linux for games.

Windows is alright. I prefer not using it, but I'm not going to complain if I have to use it.

Mac (OS): Just get Linux. The OS looks almost exactly like Gnome. Only with very annoying and counter-intuitive controls.
Mac (Hardware): I've had terrible personal experiences with it. Let me explain: here's how to remove a hard drive from an iBook G4. As you can tell by reading it, you have to perform full disassembly to reach the hard drive, instead of there being a door on the under side you can unscrew to easily access the hard drive, unlike every other laptop I've seen. Oh and what the guide doesn't mention is that connectors on the logic board are so weakly soldered that they can be pulled off far more easily than being properly disconnected. And that's why I hate Mac hardware.

You didn't

So where exactly did I mention having a single button mouse?

Mine has 7. :|

But I was just stressing you to use your mouse. since yours has 7 I don't I can sleep peacefully. Oh and one more thing, how big is your 7 button mouse? Even though is probably the same size as a regular mouse, I feel the need to know. just wondering because for me 2 is really all I need.
Hey I was bored so I replied to this thread. (just like my signiture shows)

Last edited:
Well, it's a matter of your preference as to which type of computer is easier, but i'd rather have Windows, on the subject of that's what I'm used to.

ok... windows for one mac doesn't like my icekimo wad for srb2 :P
and Icekimo.wad still in beta

Was that post meant just to promote your character?

I have a PowerMac G4, an HP Compaq desktop PC Clone, and an Amiga 2000. The PowerMac G4 runs Mac OS X 10.4, the HPCompaq PC Clone runs Windows 7 and OpenSuSE, and the Amiga 2000 runs AmigaOS 3.1 with KickStart 40.63 ROM. Now, here's the thing. The only OS there that dares to be unique and modern is AmigaOS. AmigaOS has an amazing and unique feature in that memory protection is either not available (up to OS 4.0) or optional (post OS 4.0).

Now, I'm sure everyone is aware that passing copies of a large variable in C is a recipe for slowness. Did you know that interprocess communication in most OSes with memory protection relies on this, but is actually much slower, because it must be copied twice - first from App to Kernel then Kernel to App. And just to make it even worse you have the delay caused by switching from user mode to supervisor mode.
AmigaOS with it not having memory protection allows this to be reduced to passing a pointer to the data, which the other app can then read.

This is why AmigaOS, despite being a microkernel architecture, is just as fast as monolithic kernel based OSes like Linux, while being more stable and modern.

Now, Windows NT and Mac OS X are similar operating systems. Both are 32/64 bit OSes for PC Clones with a GUI heavily built into the system. The difference is internal. Mac OS X is based on a microkernel called Mach, however FreeBSD, an open source OS similar to Linux, is essentially fully run on top of the Mach microkernel, not as a user-mode task, but inside the kernel. So you get an odd hybrid.

The result of being based on Mach and FreeBSD is the Mac OS X's unique combination of a UNIX-like OS and a beautiful and easy-to-use user interface with a great API for programming GUI apps, think of it as 'GNU/Linux with KDE or Gnome done right'.

Windows NT is roughly on par in usability terms.

So now we get down to the software argument. I'll say it simply - Windows is the target platform for most developers, and therefor has the most software. Few platforms have loads of software that's exclusive to that platform aside from Windows. Mac OS X and Linux are doing reasonably in the gaming department though, and through that the BSDs may have a chance to get good gaming too.

I totally like osx better. I ran it once on PearPC and an osx86 distro of it too. For me the thing that stands out most is that 3d dock on 10.5 or above and their gui.

But I was just stressing you to use your mouse. since yours has 7 I don't I can sleep peacefully. Oh and one more thing, how big is your 7 button mouse? Even though is probably the same size as a regular mouse, I feel the need to know. just wondering because for me 2 is really all I need.
Hey I was bored so I replied to this thread. (just like my signiture shows)

Same size as a regular mouse, maybe slightly fatter. I need a minimum of 5 buttons, the two clickers, side buttons for forward and back browsing, and the middle click for auto-scroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back