• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Lightbulb Factory Zone nears it's completion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled0by.jpg

Everyone draws like crap except for SSNTails, Blaze, and Omega :cry:
Though Omega can make something mostly as good in 15 minutes in Flash, he seems to be as unreliable as Blaze is. Which leaves SSNTails, who is too busy with other things to make more then 16 small sprites in 2 years, apparently. ('Cause that's how many there are in Super Sonic, you know, considering more then 8 of them were already drawn for NiGHTS mode)

We need more artists. We need an army of artists or one very good one that won't quit after 2 weeks. But where can we find such an artist that would work simply because it's fun to draw? There are times when I wish I could steal all your drawing abilitys and programming abilitys and everything without taking your short attention spans and lack of dedication. No, don't give me any crap about "Oh, you only work on things for a month and then you quit", I'm talking about those of you who can barely spend more then 3 hours on a simple map wad. -_-'

I can draw consistantly and being dedicated isn't hard at all. The problem is, spriting is repetitive, and so a lot of artists choose not to even try it.

Bah. I'd be spriting a lot more myself if I were able to draw things better then those masks on the boss in Lightbulb Factory Zone 3. Unless everyone wants crappy unshaded 4-color NES sprites? I can do that. o.o

I just played it, it's not bad. The pop up turrets are super annoying. x_x But the new enemies (Like the bats) are awesome and such. And the boss battle was...interesting to say the least. :P Really great job on it though, obviously a lot of work got put into this.

I really like it, but there are a few bad parts. I don't really like the section in the beginning of Act 2 with the random platforming with unpredictable enemies, and I don't like the quirky gravity in Act 3, which makes moving close to impossible to predict.

The "quirky gravity" only appears in Normal mode and above. Normal mode has downwards gravity half the time, hard mode has downwards and upwards gravity. They're only there for the pop-up part, though, and they don't go so far down as to pick you up off the floor unless you jump or get hit (Except for the platform in the middle, but there aren't spikes on teh ceiling there :P) ... Yeah, I knew that would be very controversial, but I thought harder difficultys needed to be ... harder. :?
How do you suppose I should 'fix' the random platforming?... Should I just remove the platforms altogether and make small pools of water here and there like the end of Act 1 and then put springs to get over the bottomless pit and (hopefully) into the second factory?

You can make harder difficulties harder with more interesting stuff, like level design changes and such.

Fixing platforming like that is really hard, I agree. Personally, I'd just rework the section, but I don't really know what I'd do exactly. I just don't like the very beginning. The part after the Whirlwind Shield is just fine.

Mystic said:
You can make harder difficulties harder with more interesting stuff, like level design changes and such.
Tell me how I can make a boss battle map harder by changing the level design. What am I gonna do, make it start out in phase 2 mode?

Hehe, those Buzz-syns are surprizing and fun if you don't immediately kill them like I do. I wonder if I should add them to the normal maps on rare occasion?

For instance, a good example is what I did to the Flame Rift Zone boss fight in Mystic Realm 4. I added platforms over the lava in Easy and Normal, and removed them for hard. Maybe you could make the platforms do weird things on higher difficulty levels. If nothing else, you need some kind of visual que to tell the player that gravity is about to be messed with. Maybe a light change or other obvious que. The problem is the randomness of it, not the effect itself.

Edit: I just played it on Easy. That's actually FUN. If you think that's Easy, though, you're out of your mind. I got hit several times still, but it felt like MY fault instead of the random number generator's fault.

Yeah, on Easy mode it's fun. :P
I'm sorry the "gravity change" seems random, all I really did was make 2 FOFs that are 128 units tall and made them both go up and down and start on opposite sides. So the downwards wind starts at the ceiling and the upwards wind starts 64 units above the floor and they move in opposite directions of eachother... It looks pretty, screws everything up, etc. When you beat down Vol Opt ... Er, I mean, all the first boss turret things, the wind control sectors move below the floor, so the wind sectors move down into the ground as well. Your idea for some obvious visual cue is great. I could first flood the room with a light block and then with a wind block that shoves you against the ceiling, so when you see the light change you have to go to the middle sector so you're safe or something. o.o Good ideas.

This is the first 3-act Zone I've made, actually. I am not much of a level designer myself, I find it rather boring at times...
I have yet to see if Technology Complex Zone needs to be 'converted' to 1.09, that was my other great singleplayer/coop/race map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back