Laptop recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

So college is but a few months away, and I need to decide which laptop to get for graduation. I'm looking for a laptop that CAN game, but not necessarily be a gaming laptop (generally they are expensive and heavy). I want to be able to run TF2 smoothly, a higher-end graphics card would be nice, although I don't know too much about laptop video cards. Definitely 4 gb of ram, and at least 320 gb HDD and a Core 2 Duo processor starting at 2.2 ghz or higher.

I'm not too knowledgeable about computer stuff, so yeah...any recommendations? My price range is around $1200.

Well, this is the one I'm looking at getting:

http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=88

It's Linux, sure. I'd really like to have a laptop with hardware that works with that operating system. My justification is that if you get a laptop without Windows and then purchase it later, you can save, like, 50% on it. I once compared a certain model Dell laptop with the same configuration, except that one had Windows and the other had Linux. The price difference was greater than a standalone copy of Windows Vista online.

Hey, it's a good thing you made this topic. I myself am possibly looking for a laptop for college, preferably one I can play SRB2 on. So I'm open to suggestions as well.

laptops1001.jpg

FoxBlitzz said:
It's Linux, sure.

So? Linux is wonderful, as you know. =)

FoxBlitzz said:
I'd really like to have a laptop with hardware that works with that operating system. My justification is that if you get a laptop without Windows and then purchase it later, you can save, like, 50% on it. I once compared a certain model Dell laptop with the same configuration, except that one had Windows and the other had Linux. The price difference was greater than a standalone copy of Windows Vista online.

It's a shame this stuff is generally only in the United States =(, everywhere else (here anyway) it seems laptops packaged with Linux generally aren't as powerful as their Windows counterparts (unfair I know)...lucky.

No, they are not sold only in the US, and often they have the same hardware.
The first laptop I bought (well, it was a crappy brand, Gericom) came in two versions, a Windows one and a Linux one. Needless to say I opted for the latter. It came shipped with a version of Mandrake (nowadays Mandriva) Discovery, which I used till it I got bored of it.
I didn't try installing Windows on it until like 2007.

Piracy is quite high here, and the shop definetly sold more Linux versions that Windows ones. It seems it was an experiment on Gericom's part, though.
Information about the Linux version is nowhere to be found on their site (can something be found on it? not even BIOS updates) or pretty much anywhere on the internet.

Let's close this, now.
Gaming on computer is sincerely overrated, I'd really buy a PS3 if I were after latest and greatest commercial games, because I do not like changing my computer like every dawn. I have 10 years old computers and they do almost everything I want. They did wonderful games in 2 megs of RAM not even a decade ago. I can't take now that somehow requires 4GB of ram. That's right; more than four billions of "cells" that can contain a value from 0 to 255. Crazy.

I recommend you get a reformated WinXP laptop with at least 40GB disk space. That's what I have (it's actually 38GB for me, but whatever).

I'll Begin said:

WOW YOU'RE SO FUCKING HELPFUL, MAN

Anyway, odds are you really don't need a laptop with a lot of horsepower. Save some cash and settle for something with Office and maybe a tablet/touch screen.

Personally I prefer Sony laptop, they have a better screen ,keyboard and stuffs but they are a little expensive trough ...

Augh, why was this bumped? We have a topic for laptops anyway (on the first page, even).

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back