KeyCommander

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdog003

I'm excited now, which is not a good sign. Don't expect anything *good* from this, just a mere test of something fun that may or may not work.

Introdicing KeyCommander!
About four hours in Visual Basic, and I've come up with a little handy-dandy program that monitors your keystrokes for a special 'passowrd'. Then, once that password is recognized, a menu comes up, kinda like the DOS prompt. Here's how it works.

Step 1: Download and unzip Key Commander BETA 1. http://www.sepwich.com/lotr-srb2/other/KeyCommander.zip
Step 2: Double click. You should see the splash screen for a sec.
Step 3: After the splash screen goes away, open Notepad or Your Favorite Text Editor. Not gauranteed to work in a DOS text editor, such as VIM, so use 'Pad or Word or something. Make sure you have a blank document, or KeyCommander will eat up what you've allready typed.
Step 4: slowly type in /command

This may or may not work right from this point. I've tested it on WIn98 and Win2k. It did work on 2k, but it didn't in 98.

If it worked, you should see something like this in your text editor screen:

Code:
17:39:00>
------------------------------------

Welcome to KeyCommander!
If you didn't see it, try again , but slower this time. If you *still* didn't see it, then it won't work, I'm afraid. The only way to purge it is to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it. It's named 'Project1' on the tasklist.

Try typing in 'List'. Go ahead, just right in your little text editor.
Cool, eh?
Type in 'View http://google.com [enter]'
Nifty, eh?
Type in 'exit' to get out of it, or hit F12 to purge your /command session.
To exit KeyCommander, press Alt+F12.

It's designed to go anywhere you are. In fact, you can use it in any multiline textbox, or even (risky), your favorite game! Best part is, you don't even need a textbox. You can just /command at your desktop to get in.

I'm planning to add a spellcheck function to spell those nasty words that noone can remember. Also, I'm gonna add a 'Kill' function to stop programs that don't respond. Did you see that SRB2.CHECKGAMES function in the LIST? Yup, it's gonna check for any games on the SRB2 masterserver!

Far from bugless, and in spite of that Windows 98 bug, please tell me what you think!

Try it out, Ritz.
open a text editor
Type in '/command'
Let the fun begin!

Remember, though, it might not work on your computer because the Lord knows why.
It works on my Win2k laptop, though...

EDIT: Found a bug! If you press 'Backspace' before anything else, you can crash the program! R.T.E. 5!

:roll:

Open KeyCommander.
Open Notepad.
You type: /command
Now said:
15:38:23>
----------------
Welcome to KeyCommander!
You type view
Now said:
15:38:30>
--------------------
Please enter the name of a webpage or directory to view.
Not that KeyCommander will close after this.
You type in google.com
Notepad returns to normal, IE pops up with Google.com!

Try the RUN command.
You type in /command
Now said:
----------------
Welcome to KeyCommander!
You type in RUN
Now said:
----------------
Please enter the name of an executable to run.
You type in C:/WINDOWS/CALC.exe
Then, the screen goes all messed up and stuff, so you press f12.
Calculator comes up!

See? See? See?
*jumps up and down*

Think of it as a compact... oh, SRB2 console... type... thing where you can... do stuff...

So... It's an ergonomic web browser for sucky computers? o_O

You don't have to see what you're typing, provided that you *know* what you are typing.

No, Ritz. It is not a browser. Just download it and see for yourself!

In a way, it's like a 'shortcut' console, to open your browser or Windows Explorer or run a program. In the future, it would print the time when you type in /time and the date with /date, too. It will also check the master server for games and come with a little spellcheck utility. You can use it on any textbox with more than one line, or no text box at all.
It's better than those 'shortcut' bars, because it takes up no space on your screen, and runs in the background, hogging up hopefully a minimum of CPU power.

Say, SSN... Is there an API function that returns the last key pressed, instead of if a key is pressed? I've searched Google, but with no avail.

hotdog003 said:
Say, SSN... Is there an API function that returns the last key pressed, instead of if a key is pressed? I've searched Google, but with no avail.

Hmm, I would think the proper way to do it would be to hook into every window's message queue, and listen for the sequence of keystrokes you're looking for. There's a way to do that.

I've personally never done it (tis the field of virii and unofficial addons like DeadAIM), but this link might help:

http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Libraries/Hooks/vbAccelerator_Hook_Library/article.asp

Thanks, SSN, but I did it on my own. I now flattened out the Windows 9x bug! Sweet Victory, it now works on any Windows operating system... Er, at least on Windows 98 and 2,000.

Phew, I'm so proud of myself now...
Mental Note: Use GetKeyAsyncState next time, not GetKeyState.

Too bad it doesn't work too fast... Bah, oh well. I'll use another API call instead of VB's Native 'SendKeys' method.
Good Gravy, it's unacceptable on a 333MHZ machine!

Sorry for double posting, but...

Okey. Now that I've gotten over my release-this-so-everyone-will-like-it syndrome, I've come to my senses and made a couple of changes.

First off: I'm gonna add an HTML document explaining all the aspects of the program with the .ZIP file.
There's another bug. If you type in http://www.google.com, it sees it as htp:/w.gogle.com, because it doesn't allow double letters.
Also, I've added a /pad command to open Notepad, and /calc to open Calculator, as well as /web for IE and I've added the googlesearch /command command.

Hopefully, I'll release 0.0.5 later today...

Am I the only one who DOESN'T enjoy blatantly attacking newbies at things? I mean, sweet Jesus on high, we all had to start SOMEWHERE.

Re: ZF

supershadow2 said:
*SLAM* NOOB! *SLAM* NOOB! *SLAM* NOOB!
I'm sorry, but... What? You and HotDog seem to be the only ones talking, who are you talking about? Why the sudden outburst? I mean... SERIOUSLY, what was the point?

...This REALLY boggles my mind. @_@

Seems like he was trying to communicate something to us through morse code via slamming his head down on the table repeatedly...

Or he could just be an idiot. I dunno :roll:

Shadow Hog said:
Am I the only one who DOESN'T enjoy blatantly attacking newbies at things? I mean, sweet Jesus on high, we all had to start SOMEWHERE.

No your not the only one. there's me too.

He said: "Where do you need Quickbasic?"

He thought that you needed the Quickbasic runtime code, but you didn't because in my first post, I referred to how I spend hours with this in visual basic.

So, he banged his head on the table when I told him that the Visual Basic runtime library was with the ZIP.

But, that post transalated into Morise Code comes out: "AAA" if the SLAMs were dots. But, if the NOOBs were dots, then it'd be "NNN".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back