Just wanna know ahead of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

When replacing sounds in your PWAD, is there any specific frequency/filesize/etc. that they have to be? I'd just like to have custom sounds working in this latest WAD, if you know what I mean.

I tried custom sounds once... In my april fools WAD. Tried to replace the spindash sound with a recording of me making a fart sound. ^_^

But, the result turned out horribly wrong. I think XWE garbled it up. It was loud, obnoxious, and long... 0_o

I've got more stuff I'd like information on that isn't worth making a new topic over.

First off, I made a SOC that gave Crawlas seesounds and deathsounds (Mario sounds, to be specific; they'll be what I replace in the long run). The deathsounds play as expected. The seesounds don't, even if the Crawla is within 128 units from me when I alert it of my presence. I tried Blaze's "set pitch to 67" trick. Doesn't help. How can I make the seesounds work? If I'm not mistaken (and I could be since this is ZDOOM I'm thinking of) DOOM had a flag that made seesounds emited by a boss character (Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, John Romero) audible no matter WHERE in the level you were. Is this still around, and if so, how can I activate it in a SOC?

Secondly, I intend to replace the Crawla animations with my own custom ones, although mine have 4 frames for moving around and not 7. (EDIT: Okay, 4 instead of 17, my bad.) I'm assuming that to make my animation I have to address each frame individually and have it point to the frame I WANT it to point to, which means I probably have 3 frames free per Crawla (which is good, I'll need them for shooting animations). The only question is, what frames are these? I can't say as I can tell from the source code; is it in there, and if so, what file? (EDIT: Scratch that, it appears to be info.h.) Also, where are the Thing definitions? Not that I can guarantree I REALLY need that, but it could come in handy.

Shadow Hog said:
First off, I made a SOC that gave Crawlas seesounds and deathsounds (Mario sounds, to be specific; they'll be what I replace in the long run). The deathsounds play as expected. The seesounds don't, even if the Crawla is within 128 units from me when I alert it of my presence. I tried Blaze's "set pitch to 67" trick. Doesn't help. How can I make the seesounds work? If I'm not mistaken (and I could be since this is ZDOOM I'm thinking of) DOOM had a flag that made seesounds emited by a boss character (Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, John Romero) audible no matter WHERE in the level you were. Is this still around, and if so, how can I activate it in a SOC?

This. Isn't. Doom.

There is no 'seesound' for the crawlas right now, sorry. It will be functional for 1.09. 1.09 also has an "A_PlaySeeSound" function that you can call on an animation frame to do things like that.

The 'audible no matter where in the level you were' sounds were hardcoded in Doom. 67 will be as good as you can get for now.

Also, where are the Thing definitions? Not that I can guarantree I REALLY need that, but it could come in handy.

info.c

Thanks.

SSNTails said:
This. Isn't. Doom.
I. Understand. That. But. Since. Some. Things. Are. Similar. I. Feel. The. Need. To. Double. Check. What. Has. And. Hasn't. Carried. Over. So. I. Can. More. Accurately. Figure. Out. What. I. Can. And. Can't. Do. With. SOC. Editing. In. This. Case. The. Feature. Was. Removed. But. It's. No. Biggie. Since. Crawlas. Don't. Have. Seesounds. Anyway.

Well. I. Just. Added. It. To. 1.09. For. You. Since. You. Asked. For. It. :mrgreen:

Mystic said:
*sweatdrop*

*turns around and walks back out the way he came in*

Good. Bye. Mystic. Don't. Let. The. Door. Hit. You. On. The. Ass. On. The. Way. Out.

I'm. Going. More. Stupid. Talking. Using. A. Word. Per. Sentence. So. I. Return. Also. *sik go away*

Moving. Along...

Here's what my SOC looks like now. What I'm TRYING to do is have POSSA (45, I think) through POSSD (48) be the "run" for the enemy, with POSSE (49) through POSSI (53) being "stop, shoot Sonic, go back to running". Only thing is, since Blaze didn't have to trim an animation down in his guide, I've been kind of left in the dark as to how to do it myself. Likewise, he never really elaborated how to stop a character, and the closest thing I can find in the source code is to give a frame an action of "NULL".

But anyway, the SOC.

Code:
#Patch File for SRB2 Final Demo v1.1 

#Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines. 

SRB2 version = 11 

# Things (all four of them)
# Blue Crawla, Guard
Thing 1
reactiontime = 3
raisestate = 91
missilestate = 49
seesound = 118
deathsound = 119
painchance = 775

# Red Crawla, [Sorry, it's a secret to everybody]
Thing 2 
reactiontime = 3
raisestate = 
seesound = 120
deathsound = 121
painchance = 775

# SYN-Gunfire
Thing 91
seesound = 122

# Put turret-fire here when you figure out its Thing #

# Sounds
# [Guard's seesound] - Guard sees Sonic
Sound 118
pitch = 67

# [Guard's deathsound] - Sonic plows through guard
Sound 119
pitch = 67

# [Secret-guy's seesound] - [still secret] sees Sonic
Sound 120
pitch = 67

# [Secret-guy's deathsound] - Sonic plows through [yup, secret]
Sound 121
pitch = 67

# Guard fires
Sound 122
pitch = 67

# [no, it's not un-secret yet] fires
Sound 123
pitch = 67

# Fourth frame of Guard walking; loop to first
Frame 48
next = 45

# Guard shoots 1/5 (Guard faces Sonic)
Frame 49
action A_FaceTarget
duration = 5

# Guard shoots 2/5 (Guard raises gun)
Frame 50
action NULL
duration = 5

# Guard shoots 3/5 (Guard fires)
Frame 51
action A_JetgShoot
duration = 1

# Guard shoots 4/5 (Guard stops firing)
Frame 52
action NULL
duration = 9

# Guard shoots 5/5 (Guard puts gun down, goes back to running)
Frame 53
action NULL
duration = 5
next = 45
Any incorrect syntax thus far?

to shorten an animation, have the last frame's "next" frame go to the first frame in your cycle.

Which I've done. So, then, it should work fairly well. Thanks for that info.

The graphics have loaded, the walk loops right, and the guard shoots a Jetty-syn bullet at me. It's great... BUT, right after that, he turns into a green Sonic that just taps his foot; no shooting whatsoever. He can still be killed, and I assume he'll still hurt me, but, I mean, he's a freakin' green Sonic. I'm fairly certain the next value is correct, since walking works great, but I don't know why he's turning into Sonic... Does it have to do with sprite and subsprite? Blaze didn't go into much detail at all about what those were.

Oh, and for that matter, he doesn't seem to move, just walk in place.

EDIT: Okay, I think the problem has to do with his walking animation; it moves right into the shooting animation and THEN turns him into a green Sonic. Which is funny, since the Sprite list I had ripped from the code says 45 should be around the Crawla's animations. Ugh...

EDIT 2: Aha, I didn't have the next frame in his walking anim. So, that's fixed. Still, I need to figure out shooting...

Try monkeying with all of the different "states"... I noticed that you dont have anything listed for the red crawla's "raisestate". Make sure the painstate, deathstate, etc. all point to where you want them to be.

Actually, I got around it by moving the shooting frames to what would be the END of the Crawla's moving animation, and it seems to work well. Thanks anyway, though.

Incidentally these custom enemies make the levels AFTER mine quite interesting indeed... MAP07's a real pain, and MAP09's harder on Normal than Hard, I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back