Jack Thompson. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/#970

I wasn't sure wether to make a topic of this or not, but I decided to go along with it. Read it and discuss what an uninformed asshole the man is.

Code:
<OgtraX> Wtf? How can Jack Thompson say something like that
<OgtraX> He really is the scum of the earth
<Arrow> Oh lord
<Arrow> What's he on this time
<Diab> is dat som chicken
<Omega|Library> Holy [...]. I don't know wether to laugh or feel sorry
<OgtraX> Arrow: [url]http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/#970[/url]
<Arrow> Wow.  That's beyond words
<Arrow> Not only does he not know how to spell (deepend?), but that's just horrifically thickheaded
* Da_Wrecka has joined #srb2
<Omega|Library> Basically the whole point of the message was "IF YOU PLAY GAMES EITHER YOU OR "YOUR GAMER BUDDY" WILL DIE"
<Omega|Library> But more then that came accross :P
<Arrow> And that first line also adds the point "IF YOU PLAY GAMES, YOU'RE GOING TO HELL"
<Omega|Library> Of course he probably doesn
<Omega|Library> [stupid enter button. disregard that :E]
<Omega|Library> Of course he doesn't even take into consideration the possibility that video games didn't take a role in that
<Omega|Library> And of COURSE since the guy HAPPENED TO POST ON A GAMING FORUM, it automatically means he was some drug-addicted, GTA-inspired child in need of serious attention
<Tets> Obviously.
<Tets> We're all just a bunch of satanic gamers.

Sorry, but I have to somewhat agree with Mr. Thompson.

There is a difference between 'being a gamer' and just 'enjoying a game'. So many young people waste their lives being interested in little more than video games. They can't wait for the next release. They preorder from Gamestop. They can't go a week without playing a game.

There is much good that is going undone in this world because people are focusing their attention on a television screen than learning to be a doctor, an electrician, a plumber, or a business entrepreneur. I genuinely fear for the time when all of the older generation has retired and the younger wake up and wonder, "What happened?".

That's an interesting point of view, SSN. You're right about kids living their life in front of a screen, but what about the other messages implied in the statement he made? Do you agree with them?

SSNTails said:
Sorry, but I have to somewhat agree with Mr. Thompson.

There is a difference between 'being a gamer' and just 'enjoying a game'. So many young people waste their lives being interested in little more than video games. They can't wait for the next release. They preorder from Gamestop. They can't go a week without playing a game.

There is much good that is going undone in this world because people are focusing their attention on a television screen than learning to be a doctor, an electrician, a plumber, or a business entrepreneur. I genuinely fear for the time when all of the older generation has retired and the younger wake up and wonder, "What happened?".

I agree with you fully, but him basically calling all gamers Satanists and bulling his way into the middle of a tragic suicide to throw down his views was highly inappropriate, regardless.

Omega the Hedgehog said:
but what about the other messages implied in the statement he made? Do you agree with them?

Oh, definitely not. He also spewed an equal amount of drivel.

I do think though, that if everyone would just ignore him, he'd go away. Shame on MetalGearSolid.Org or wherever it was that posted up the letter they received.

Now Jack Thompson is just sounding like Pat Robertson. Now, in part, I agree with you two Arrow and SSN, but the rest of it.

No. Just no.

There is a void in every heart. You can fill it up with the things of God, or the things not of God. This unfortunate soul chose to fill it up with combat games. The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.

I for one don't play these "combat" games. The most violent game that I regularly play is Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, and hell, that's a good message-you're killing an unholy vampire. Second of all, who is he to decide what is "of God"? I could go to quite a few religious leaders in my area, and they would certainly not say that videogames in general are "anti-God". Oh, they might condemn GTA or the like, but who can blame them there? That's not exactly a warm and fuzzy game. But GTA and company are hardly the dominant genre in the entire history of videogames. And "senseless self-stimulation"? Yeah, 'cause playing games has always been the forefront of my life, only seeking to make things better for me, when in fact, I play games mostly as a distraction-I don't go out much, I don't have a girlfriend, I don't exactly have the greatest life ever. "If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know..."-Oh, now that's mature. Insult us while you're stereotyping us. I for one have consistently gotten good grades in English, I've been reading since I was two and a half, and I certainly know how to use a dictionary-I've got one in my room. Now, granted, I know some people who don't. They're called druggies Jack, and their (LOOKIE THERE I USED THE RIGHT TERM!!! HOW ABOUT THEM DICTIONARIES?) problem is the fact that they are killing brain cells, not playing a game.

All of you gamers need to put down the controllers and get a life. The utter inanity of the vast majority of postings here shows how vapid "gaming" really is.

"Get a life." In response to this, I will make a poll on this very board asking if you have a life and what you define as a life. I will also ask for an age, because obviously, those that are younger will have a different definition of "a life". Now, me personally, let's see what I have:

I go to school, and get good grades.
I have friends that I do talk to, even if I don't go out much (That isn't to say at all)
I do other things besides videogames. In fact, as I am typing this, I found out that I just missed an email to go to the movies with some friends. I am in the Drama Club at school, I'm on Math Team, and I help out with the school newspaper now and then.

That good enough for you?

You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.

We have Neo-Nazis preaching death on people, we have the KKK, and we have radical terrorists attacking the US. Then we've got someone who was overwhelmed by things outside of his internet life. Yeah, videogames sure are a "'culture of death'". Are gamers going to march on Washington demanding the head of Hillary Clinton next? Certainly not. Gamers may think that she's going about things the wrong way and is overreacting, but we aren't going to want her dead, because we're better than that. Now, imagine if Senator Clinton had spoken out against all Muslims. Do you think that there would be extremist Muslim terrorists preaching out against her, calling for her death, maybe even planning and possibly carrying out an attack to these ends? Most likely, certainly moreso than a gamer trying to kill her. Oh, and by the way, how many suicide bombers are there a month in the Middle East? I'll bet you everything that number is more than the number of people who commit suicide here and happen to play games. Now, I'm not saying that we don't have people here who kill themselves for a reason related to gaming. I'm not going to claim that, I know it happens. But they are hardly the majority, and sometimes have underlying problems more severe than failing to get a level up in Everquest.

Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess.

"Hello, 911? Yes, someone is attempting suicide. No, I don't know what city. No, I don't know what state. No, come to think of it, I don't even know if he is in this country. He posted online about it."

Yeah. What most people did is try to contact and help him through a means they knew they could-the board of one of his favorite sites. It wasn't till late until someone actually got a hold of him, and then, that person did the right thing. After all, who would you listen to? The administrator of one of your favorite places to hang out (Even if that place doesn't revolve around your life), or some police officer who might just want to get home and get some sleep. The administrator of metalgearsolid.org made a noble effort, and should be commended for it. Rather than just calling someone and leaving it in their hands, he tried to solve the problem himself. He may have failed, but at least he tried.

Now, Mr. Thompson, if you had been in that situation, what would you have done? Would you have called the police, or would you have tried to talk him out of it.

Silly of me to ask. We all know, including yourself, that you would have accused him of wasting his life with no proof whatsoever.

Email that to him so he can make fun of your name, or some stupid shit that he's done before.

I just ignored Thompson before, but this is pretty low. Kinda funny how many people, not just gamers, but normal people, hate him. Sure, some kids are addicted to games, and they are generally those that are so spoiled that they'd be stuck on something else anyway.

I play Doom, I play Half-Life, and I play many other video games that are violent. So what? I have straight A's, am a leader in my school's track program, and have a job. I'm generally happy, and I sure as hell don't think that anybody or anything related to the games made this poor guy kill himself.

I'd love to meet this Jack Thompson, with a Thompson.

If you ask me, the problem isn't the gamers, it's the games themselves. Go to Toys 'R Us and tour the games isle. Undoubtedly, you'll come across several incarnations of "Ghetto Niggaz Gank the Fuzz", a copy of "Gordon Freeman's Crowbar Crawdads" and perhaps a dash of "Hooker Tipping".

Seriously though, did anyone catch that "24 Years to Life" tripe that was plastered all over the news last night? Naturally, they made a big fuss about it, but that's beside the point. Of course, one might argue that such violent games have a considerable impact on the minds of youths (A claim of which most any gamer would refute, as it's apparent that digital breasts hold only enough sway to mentally warp the retarded), but that's not the point, either.

See, the Gangsta genre's gone far out of hand. Developers are relying on controversy and shock factor alone to appeal to this generation, and it doesn't take very long before anyone with a lick of common sense starts to realize that those aren't the best foundations to fashion a game after. Another might argue that this is the genre that sells the best because it's what appeals to this generation the most. Well, it only appeals to them because that's what the media most often conveys. The gaming industry's heart just isn't in it anymore (Aside from Nintendo, which appears to be the one company that hasn't completely lost sight in what makes a game a game), and now, grabbing their audience by the balls by rehashing the same controversial material over and over is just about the only way they've managed to stay in the business this long.

By unconsciously fluctating from one point to another, I've pretty much lost sight of whatever point I was trying to make. I suppose that what I'm trying to say is that Thompson should be unleashing his pent up aggression against the game developers, rather than the gamers themselves. Also, if people made good games, we wouldn't have anything to worry about. I don't know.

Also, where was Thompson's rant originally posted, anyway? Was it some sort of article, or did he actually post on the message board? Either way, doesn't that mean that he's actively watching the gaming community? That's pretty creepy.

Oh, and lol jack said masturbate

The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.

Well, I looked it up in my dictionary and it is a sexual term. Ha.

See, the Gangsta genre's gone far out of hand. Developers are relying on controversy and shock factor alone to appeal to this generation, and it doesn't take very long before anyone with a lick of common sense starts to realize that those aren't the best foundations to fashion a game after. Another might argue that this is the genre that sells the best because it's what appeals to this generation the most. Well, it only appeals to them because that's what the media most often conveys. The gaming industry's heart just isn't in it anymore (Aside from Nintendo, which appears to be the one company that hasn't completely lost sight in what makes a game a game), and now, grabbing their audience by the balls by rehashing the same controversial material over and over is just about the only way they've managed to stay in the business this long.

The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.[/u]

What type of video games?

Blue Blur said:
I just ignored Thompson before, but this is pretty low. Kinda funny how many people, not just gamers, but normal people, hate him. Sure, some kids are addicted to games, and they are generally those that are so spoiled that they'd be stuck on something else anyway.

I play Doom, I play Half-Life, and I play many other video games that are violent. So what? I have straight A's, am a leader in my school's track program, and have a job. I'm generally happy, and I sure as hell don't think that anybody or anything related to the games made this poor guy kill himself.

I'd love to meet this Jack Thompson, with a Thompson.
You my friend, win

fox.dx2 said:

The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.[/u]

What type of video games?
Obviously H-games and dating sims.

By this guy's logic, playing cards would be senseless self-stimulation, and you would go to hell for it.

Ritz said:
If you ask me, the problem isn't the gamers, it's the games themselves. Go to Toys 'R Us and tour the games isle. Undoubtedly, you'll come across several incarnations of "Ghetto Niggaz Gank the Fuzz", a copy of "Gordon Freeman's Crowbar Crawdads" and perhaps a dash of "Hooker Tipping".

Are we seriously allowed to say "nigger"?

Bigboi, it was used in a sense that was alright, given the topic it was posted in, but wouldn't be otherwise. Alright? Got it? Back to the topic =/

Bigboi said:
Ritz said:

Are we seriously allowed to say "nigger"?
Depends on context. That context is perfectly acceptable. Start using it as a racial slur and I'll ban your ass so hard it'll hurt for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back