Isolated Canyon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowyfox

Hee-Hawk! That's a Giradonk
On the wiki it says
TUNES 88 - Isolated Canyon Extended Mix.
What is Isolated Canyon?Is it a canned level or somethin'?

It was a terrible CTF stage, but the music SHOULD be called Arid Canyon, because if memory serves, that was the old act 1 for it (this was before they had the textures and stuff). The other Arid Canyon song is Act 2.

I totally see Neo coming in here defending his stage, but yeah, it was a rather old CTF stage that didn't work too well in 2.0 (probably because it was so small and basic and had a horrible chokepoint).

Actually, the choke point would actually HELP the map in the new match system. The problem with Isolated Canyon is that the flag's position is impossible to defend. They literally can come from all four directions at the flag, making the match come down to luck, hoping that your flag runner is near the flag's respawn point when you return your own flag.

Mystic, you don't HAVE to return the flag immediately, you know. Of course, the average team does :S

But what players of this map should actually do is wait for the enemy flag runner to get to the chokepoint (or at least an area it's possible to defend from), then kill them, and defend the flag from there until your flag runner gets back, and then return it. Of course, the flag returns automatically after 30 seconds, so if your flag runner isn't back by then, this won't work.

And SpiritCrusher, it's completely avoidable. Tails/Knuckles can go around it, and everyone can go above it.

This was actually my favorite CTF map. I just liked storming into the enemy base, grabbing the flag, and thokking out of that central window thing fast as hell.

EDIT: You can't thok with the flag, what was I thinking?

Last edited:
How does an unavoidable choke point in the very middle of the stage help?
It's not unavoidable. You can take the upper path which does not have that choke point. The drawback is that the upper path is much slower than the lower path. Standard risk/reward.

I totally see Neo coming in here defending his stage
I thought it was pretty clear I don't like it!

Honestly, it was my first CTF stage (and my first proper map, anyway), and it's really not very good. I still quite like how it looks, with the silver brick castles in the desert, but the level design needs a complete overhaul. I thought about doing something with ACZ ropes, but it hasn't really been top priority/I haven't come up with anything yet.

Isolated Canyon was really only added to SRB2 because we were short on CTF stages. 2.0 prioritized quality over quantity, so both it and Metal Star bit the dust (I liked Techno Hill CTF/Conveyor Conflict, though).

This was actually my favorite CTF map. I just liked storming into the enemy base, grabbing the flag, and thokking out of that central window thing fast as hell.

EDIT: You can't thok with the flag, what was I thinking?

In 1.09.4 there was a flagthok, remember? You could throw the flag and thok into it. That's what a lot of people did, but it's sort of been fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back