Is there a way to make addons on chromebook?

A .pk3 is just a .zip with a different file extension, so any program that can edit/make zip archives can be used to make .pk3s. This is archaic, but technically should work.

A .pk3 is just a .zip with a different file extension, so any program that can edit/make zip archives can be used to make .pk3s. This is archaic, but technically should work.
I think you misread what he mentioned, as he mentioned nothing about .pk3s, and really this doesn't answer much of anything.

I have an idea for a character mod but I don't know how to do it because all the guides expect us to use PC can somebody help me?
It's very hard to give a definitive answer, as there's still no mobile-friendly alternative for SLADE. As far as I'm aware, a good majority of the work involved in character mods require a lump editor; Luas and stuff like that can't compare.

Believe me, it's not like I haven't been suffering in that same degree, what with being on Android and all.

I think you misread what he mentioned, as he mentioned nothing about .pk3s, and really this doesn't answer much of anything.
I misread nothing. Character addons are usually .pk3s. Even if you can't load SLADE, you can use any program that can make zip archives to make .pk3s. A number of people have already done this.

Why would you not be able to make a character addon with that? Serious question.

As far as I'm aware, a good majority of the work involved in character mods require a lump editor; Luas and stuff like that can't compare.
Again, false. Also, Lua and "stuff like that" are not alternatives to a lump editor. Lua lumps are just text files and are imported in the same way as any other lump.

Random message.
Post automatically merged:

It's very hard to give a definitive answer, as there's still no mobile-friendly alternative for SLADE. As far as I'm aware, a good majority of the work involved in character mods require a lump editor; Luas and stuff like that can't compare.

Believe me, it's not like I haven't been suffering in that same degree, what with being on Android and all.
I'm not trying to do mobile respectfully I was asking if there was a way to do addons on chromebook.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the info, is there any good zip formats I can attempt to use?

Last edited:
Also, Lua and "stuff like that" are not alternatives to a lump editor. Lua lumps are just text files and are imported in the same way as any other lump.
Dude, you're misreading my argument. I put a semicolon there to separate the "Luas and stuff" part because they alone cannot make a character mod. Adding graphics or audio or stuff like that require a lump editor, simple as that.

Thanks for the info, is there any good zip formats I can attempt to use?
Yep! Any zip folder should work. I realize you're on ChromeOS, but here's an example PK3 I made in File Explorer on Windows. Any program that can make folders and compress them into zip folders should work. Keep in mind that you'll still need to use the right folder structure, but you can open other PK3s by changing their filetype to .zip first. You will probably need to use a hex editor to edit any sprite offsets, although I don't know which ones work on ChromeOS, but I'll see if I can't get around that with some more experiments when I'm out of class. Doom modding pre-dates both SLADE and XWE.

Adding graphics or audio or stuff like that require a lump editor, simple as that.
Then why did this work?

Attachments

• ExamplePK3 7.png
    ExamplePK3 7.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 55
  • ExamplePK3 6.png
    ExamplePK3 6.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 54
  • ExamplePK3 5.png
    ExamplePK3 5.png
    8 KB · Views: 53
  • ExamplePK3.pk3
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Yep! Any zip folder should work. I realize you're on ChromeOS, but here's an example PK3 I made in File Explorer on Windows. Any program that can make folders and compress them into zip folders should work. Keep in mind that you'll still need to use the right folder structure, but you can open other PK3s by changing their filetype to .zip first. You will probably need to use a hex editor to edit any sprite offsets, although I don't know which ones work on ChromeOS, but I'll see if I can't get around that with some more experiments when I'm out of class. Doom modding pre-dates both SLADE and XWE.
Nice thanks! But I don't know very many if any program that can compress folders into zip folders.
Can you list some I could use?

Im a bit late to the party but

In a technicality all you need is a way to make zip files and lump files (since its overall better)

In a very raw non slade way it would be

Make a folder
Put the sprites
Convert the sprites into srb2 paletted lump gfx
Have the s_skin and main socs in said folder
Convert the folder in a zip
Then change the extension to a .pk3 or .wad if there isnt any other folder inside and it SHOULD work

Hope this somewhat helps

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back