Is S_SKIN handled differently in 2.0? Because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
...I set ACTIONSPD to 1, MULTIABILITY to 1, and ABILITY to 1. However, my character can't fly; he just lazily drifts to the ground.

A lot of the editing information will be made clear when the new wiki is up and running. It should cover some of the character changes as well as other useful editing information.

A bunch of stuff was either removed or combined into existing abilities. In other words I took the nerf bat to custom character abilities at Mystic's request so that we could have a better slate upon which we can add some really cool and balanced stuff for characters to use in the future.

I'm going to go ahead and grab the relevant code to explain the bulk of what's there:

Code:
From d_player.h:

//Primary and secondary skin abilities
#define CA_THOK              0
#define CA_FLY               1
#define CA_GLIDEANDCLIMB     2
#define CA_DOUBLEJUMP        3
#define CA_FLOAT             4
#define CA_SLOWFALL          5
#define CA_SWIM              6
#define CA_HOMINGTHOK        7

//Secondary skin abilities
#define CA2_SPINDASH         0
#define CA2_MULTIABILITY     1

These values are plugged into a S_SKIN's ability and ability2. Basically all characters get one single primary and secondary ability. The following were either removed or combined into other abilities:

• Ringslinger and slingitem were removed entirely.
    Waterskip was combined into CA2_SPINDASH.
    Waterrun was combined into CA_SWIM.
    Multiability was changed into a secondary ability.
    Allowspindash is essentially CA2_SPINDASH.
    Nospinjump was removed.
    Homing was made into CA_HOMINGTHOK.
    Lightdash was removed entirely.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but thats the bulk. Most things were combined into larger attributes.

All of the base CA_ abilities apart from CA_SWIM has not changed since 1.09.4 with the only difference being that swimming entitles you to waterrun too. CA2_SPINDASH entitiles your character to spindash, spinjump and skip on water. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have this by default.

CA2_MULTIABILITY does the following things for the main ability:

• CA_THOK: pre-1.08 multi-thok.
    CA_FLY: SA-style Tails flying. No rapid clicking required to fly, plus you get more vertical momentum in a shorter time if I recall correctly.
    CA_GLIDEANDCLIMB: You can drop in and out of gliding at any time in mid-air.
    CA_DOUBLEJUMP: Each of your two jumps height are increased by about 35%. You can jump about 260 fracunits total.
    CA_FLOAT: Your jump height is increased by 50%. You can jump 150 fracunits in the air with a default jumpfactor.
    CA_SLOWFALL: Same as CA_FLOAT.
    CA_SWIM: Same as CA_FLY.
    CA_HOMINGTHOK: Same as CA_THOK.

(Since Multiability doesn't exactly do multiability for everything, we might rename it in a future version.)

If you wish to experiment with character abilities, enable DEVMODE and use the following command:

Code:
CHARABILITY (1 or 2) (value)

This sets the value of either ability or ability2 to whichever value you choose. Hopefully this clears stuff up.

That doesn't seem entirely accurate from my point of view. For one thing, when I set ability2 to 1, it doesn't create multiability; it just does nojumpspin. Second, I set ability to 1, but when I try to fly, the sprite changes, but I can't go higher into the air...I just drift downwards.

fawfulfan said:
That doesn't seem entirely accurate from my point of view. For one thing, when I set ability2 to 1, it doesn't create multiability; it just does nojumpspin. Second, I set ability to 1, but when I try to fly, the sprite changes, but I can't go higher into the air...I just drift downwards.
Change ability2 to 0, then your character will fly properly.

Hold the button fawfulfan. SA-style flying means you hold the button down, not tap it over and over like classic flying.

fawfulfan said:
...I set ACTIONSPD to 1, MULTIABILITY to 1, and ABILITY to 1. However, my character can't fly; he just lazily drifts to the ground.

There's your problem. ACTIONSPD should be 100 (Tails' default,) not 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back