Is it possible to add more colors to an existing palette or make a new palette with more colors?

SIG7Pro

I hate my life.
So basically some people know that you can change the SRB2 color palette via modding, example: some of D00D64's old 2.0 mods and that one SA7 mod on Google sites.
But is it possible to change the color palette to have more colors or is it possible to make a new one with more colors than the one SRB2 provides?

You CAN change the palette, even completely replace it, but you cannot give it more than 256 colors (the amount the palette already has). This is a limitation with Doom's software renderer and cannot be fully circumvented without source code mods.

One thing you can do, that I don't think a lot of people know about, is change the palette between levels using the "Palette" parameter in the level header. This is normally not done because it will almost always ruin at least one skincolor, but it's an option.

For more information, see here: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Palette

To be honest, 256 colors give software a nice look and I think it should be kept. Not saying having true color would be bad but if you really want that j\ust use OpenGL. it can be done, GZDoom has a true color software renderer, but it is a source port. Like DylanDude said, it will need exe mods. Also I think adding more possible colors will degrade performance.

TL;DR: I think it's pointless and may worsen performance.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back