Interacting with permanent data

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
Is there any way for a Lua script to interact with data that's preserved between play sessions, such as save and unlockable data, that isn't tied to linedef executors or something else that can only exist in a specific level? If not, is it possible for Lua to automatically modify any given level so it can access permanent data indirectly? If not that either, my plan C is to require the player to visit an unlockable level that contains linedef executors that trigger the Lua script in order to load their custom save data. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Red made a proof of concept using Lua hooks, but last I heard it's not being put into 2.2 because another dev wants to work on a total revamping of the savegame system. So... sorry, but you're going to have to do it the hacky way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, Red, but I'm just going to go with the visit-the-level idea. The password might be easier to implement, assuming I could figure out a good way to generate one, but it'd be harder on the player since they'd have to memorize a random string of letters and numbers or even write it down in a text document.

Thanks for the suggestion, Red, but I'm just going to go with the visit-the-level idea. The password might be easier to implement, assuming I could figure out a good way to generate one, but it'd be harder on the player since they'd have to memorize a random string of letters and numbers or even write it down in a text document.
You say this as if log.txt doesn't exist. Just print out the code in the console with a unique string of letters to ctrl+f to, and explain in the save screen about how to do that, and that they need to copy log.txt, or copy the code from log.txt if they want to keep it since it'll be overwritten the next time they launch SRB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back