Improved Tag Mode (srb2tag-p2.exe) [Patch 2 + Source]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Well, I was thinking about adding yet another suggestion to the heaping list of 1.1 suggestions, but then I decided it would be good for me to just write the thing myself. After twelve days of coding (plus one day for each patch) and testing spread out over three weeks due to end of semester exams, I present to you the result of my first delving into SRB2's source.

SRB2 Improved Tagmode Version (MS version 0.24.2)

Features:

Hide and Seek Mode:

One player is randomly selected to be it and is spawned in a dedicated Tagger Start Location (Thing Type 88) on maps that contain them. After spawning, players have a period of time in which to hide and the IT player cannot move. Once the hiding period is over (default 30 seconds) the hiding players are frozen and the tagging player is allowed to roam the map, tagging players with rings. The tagger gets 100 points per tag, while the hiding players earn 2 points per second hidden. If any hiding players survive to the end of the round, they recieve 50 bonus points per player in the netgame.

Survivor Mode:

Like before, one player is selected to be IT and is spawned at a dedicated start point if available. The same hiding time passes, except this time, the non-IT players are allowed to continue moving once the hide time is over. The IT player must then start tagging players. Each time a player is tagged, that player also becomes IT. The two IT players then continue until all players are tagged. If any player survived without being tagged to the time limit, they receive 50 bonus points per player in the netgame.

New Console Variables:

Code:
TAGTYPE [0/1 or HIDE AND SEEK/SURVIVOR]
TAG_HIDETIME [default 30]
TAG_FINDTIME [default 120]

Fixes:

* Fixed tag round end score screen. (initial)

* Spectator mode in tag fixed. (p1)
* IT players in Survivor can no longer tag each other for points. (p1)
* Hiding players underwater in Hide and Seek no longer drown. (p1)
* Hit messages in Survivor mode fixed. (p1)
* Hiding players' suicide and crusher deaths now give points to the tagger in Hide and Seek. (p1)
* Players that are not in game no longer have their score incremented as though they were a hiding player. (p1)

* Duplicate hit messages in Hide and Seek fixed. (p2)
* TAB score list fixed and properly displays people in score order. (p2)
* The friendly fire variable now functions with tag. (p2)
* IT Tails players can no longer carry players that aren't IT and vice versa. (p2)
* Spawn error messages fixed. (p2)
* Tagtype can no longer be changed in the middle of a round. (p2)

Known Bugs:

* Dedicated servers are broken, but I believe I know why. Fixing it will be another matter.

Download Link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JXY37VI3

I apologize for using MEGAUPLOAD, but the SRB2FFH is giving me grief with uploading larger files and I wanted to have the EXE and source uploaded in the same place.

Also note, if the EXE tells you that you need libpng13.dll, www.dll-files.com is your friend.

Things to Consider:

* Point balance between IT and hiding players.
* Multiple IT players?
* Dedicated maps for tag mode (this mod contains none at the moment)
* Integration and balancing of No-Tag sectors
* Messages and HUD improvements

Source:

Alright, here it is. Note that this is not needed if you simply want to play with the EXE. This is released "as is" with no warranty, etc.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LF3NAFOK

This is a modified version of 1.09.4a retrieved from the public SVN. All of my code edits are contained within JAZZ #ifdefs.

Enjoy, happy hunting, etc.

After a good netgame worth of testing, it has come to my attention that survivor mode is partially broken, as IT players can tag each other for points. The executable will be patched in the near future. Until then, just be aware that the bug exists.

Congratz Jazz. ^^

Code:
TAG_HIDETIME [default 30]
TAG_FINDTIME [default 120]

A little sugestion: I think it would be better if commands/variables hadn't underscores.

Clay said:
I just wish the sanctuary would actually let me download something...

Never hit ENTER after you have entered Securitycode...

Jazz said:
After a good netgame worth of testing, it has come to my attention that survivor mode is partially broken, as IT players can tag each other for points. The executable will be patched in the near future. Until then, just be aware that the bug exists.
Don't forget that in hide-'n-seek hiding players can't f12 whoever is "it" :P

That sound amazing, but... upload a Sendspace link (or another thing) please? FFH don't works for me...

zeldagamer00 said:
Don't forget that in hide-'n-seek hiding players can't f12 whoever is "it" :P

Actually, I managed to break the spectator code before release. Nobody can F12 anyone in tag mode at the moment. I'll be working on it tonight. If nothing else, a survivor patch will be out some time tonight.

Also added a Sendspace mirror.

New version up, first post updated.

Changelog: (also found on the first post)

* Spectator mode in tag fixed. (p1)
* IT players in Survivor can no longer tag each other for points. (p1)
* Hiding players underwater in Hide and Seek no longer drown. (p1)
* Hit messages in Survivor mode fixed. (p1)
* Hiding players' suicide and crusher deaths now give points to the tagger in Hide and Seek. (p1)
* Players that are not in game no longer have their score incremented as though they were a hiding player. (p1)

Thanks to JEV3, Zeldagamer00, SRB2 Guy and Torgo for their testing assistance.

Enjoy.

Awesome. Now i can play like Zombie Mode in Halo 3. xD

I'll try it right away - shame it's an EXE which means INCOMPATIBLE WITH JTE! D: I cant test it on my own.

About time someone made something good out of Tag, good job.

Yes, I said good job.

Cue said:
About time someone made something good out of Tag, good job.

Thanks.

And a little update:

Bar any critical problems, the source will be released with the next revision. Unfortunately, that probably won't be until sometime after the new year. On the bright side, the current bugs are minor enough to not be horribly critical for a few weeks.

Trend Micro hates this program

Type: Program Libary Injection
Risk: HIGH

After I say allow it pops up again and again!

So I can't play it.

By the way, you need to release the source, as this is under the GNU license.

In any case, awesome, though EXE mods are rarely used for netgaming. D=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back