Implementing Custom Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeFan1

I'm fiddling with custom music for an OLDC level I'm working on. (Nowhere near done in case you all are wondering...) and I'm having trouble figuring out how to put the music into the wad.

The wiki explains it, but only using the program XWE. Does anyone know if it can be done with SLumpEd? If so, how? Or do I have to have XWE to add a music file?

Unlike sound effects, music lumps don't need to be converted to anything to work correctly in SRB2. (provided you are using a midi, MP3, or OGG of course). Just put the file in the wad, and give the lump the correct name just like you would in XWE.

Ok, so I have an MP3 file.
If I understand this, That means I just have to create a lump named O_MAP01M (or whatever map number it is.) and then select import and choose the MP3 file?

If that's it, then I think something isn't working properly on my end, because I've definitely tried that. That is the right naming convention for MP3, right?

Use an OGG, since the file size is usually smaller. I'm not really sure what the problem is, since it's been forever since I did custom music. Did you try reading the Wiki?

Unlike sound effects, music lumps don't need to be converted to anything to work correctly in SRB2. (provided you are using a midi, MP3, or OGG of course). Just put the file in the wad, and give the lump the correct name just like you would in XWE.

.IT files work without converting, I've tried them before. (Not that it's really of any importance to this :\)

Last edited:
Nope, when I type tunes and the music lump number (I used 33 as was in your example), I recieve the message ERROR: Music lump map33m cannot be found!

I'm wondering if it has something to do with my MP3 file itself. What should happen when you import the music. All that I get is a line of six letters/numbers, the latter three of which are enclosed in a dark gray box. Within the lump editor, this is the entire contents of the music lump.

By contrast, I tried opening a music lump in mystic realm, and got this whole screen where you could play the Midi right there. Definitely nothing like what I'm getting.

Any solutions?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with my MP3 file itself. What should happen when you import the music. All that I get is a line of six letters/numbers, the latter three of which are enclosed in a dark gray box. Within the lump editor, this is the entire contents of the music lump.

By contrast, I tried opening a music lump in mystic realm, and got this whole screen where you could play the Midi right there. Definitely nothing like what I'm getting.

Any solutions?

SLumpEd can only play MIDI and WAV (and maybe something else I forgot) but SLADE, which renders SLumpEd completely obsolete, can play pretty much every type of sound file relevant to SRB2. Try importing it in SLADE and play it, that will let you know if it actually works. Also, make sure you have the lump named exactly O_MAP33M and not O_MAP33M.mp3. :P

Sorry. I should have been specific on what wad lump editor I used. I use SlumpEd for all my lump editing. Also I don't know why it didn't work for you if you used SlumpEd.
Again make a new wad(Name it something easy to remember). Then make a new lump(preferably an unused slot like 33) and be sure to name it correctly. O_MAP33M. When I import an MP3 in the text it reads something like this:ID3ETX, ETX being highlighted in black. Please be sure not to save the lump by clicking on Save Changes because if you do so it will turn the lump into a text lump. Just simply save the wad altogether, add it onto Srb2 and type in tunes 33 to see if it worked.

Aha! That was the problem!
I had been hitting the save changes button, saving the file as a text lump!
You didn't specify to avoid doing that last time.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back