If you could change the shield abilities, how would you change them?

lnferno

Blazing Creator
Quite a few of us can agree that some of the shield abilities in SRB2... aren't the best, so, in order to consolidate all the different ideas for them, I made this thread.

You can discuss both passive and actives (since, well, Whirlwind lacks a passive.)

Please stay civil with this, lol.

I might use some of these ideas in my physics/general overhaul mod.

Hm, one thing i would change about vanilla shields, its the force shield ability, which its kinda useless if you come to think it, having already a stop in mid air shield ability, the elemental shield's ability. One thing i would change to make it more original, its like an enemy repell ability, just like one of those silver chars that are roaming around the forums, like, if you're near the player with the force shield, if you use it's ability, ill knock them back a lil repelling them.

And about a passive, one thing ill add to the Wind shield, it's a hover whenever you fall down or jump off an edge, just like super sonic or metal's ability. Or maybe more like a slow fall, if we get more realistic about how the game would be balanced

Last edited:
I think Lightning Shield outclasses Attraction entirely. So thus Attraction's active needs to be changed, it's not a useful shield unless you're playing as Sonic, Metal, or Knux with 7 emeralds. Even that's debatable.

I feel like Attraction's active should be a powerful horizontal jump (maybe slight vertical movement too) that also uses up 10-15 rings. This way collecting rings with attraction has some purpose and gives the passive a reason to exist. Or you could make a smaller Armaggedon that clears the enemies around you; though I think the first one would be better.

SRB2 levels couldn't be cheesed with this for the most part due to their reliance on tunnels and verticality, though it would make for some cool trickjumps and speed. Maybe the momentum would carry over to the next jump if inputs were put precisely enough, which could make some cool custom levels, as well as bump speedrunning up a bit. I don't think it would break the game, especially when you factor in water and damage.

Attraction will never be better than Whirlwind because Whirlwind is a very good save tool whem you fall off of pits, but at least this active has a purpose. That's why I refer to speedrunning, as you would never use this in a first playthrough or whatever, but it is probably fun and good for messing around with.

I think ideally, every SRB2 shield should have an interesting and useful passive AND active ability. Doing this without overhauling the shields too much would require adjusting both the shields and the levels themselves.

Whirlwind: Perfect as is. I think the jump from falling or springs qualifies as a passive ability, but if it doesn't, the best I can think of is protection from hazards that slow you down. Like Canarivore breath and mud, perhaps also the ability to run on goop and in water at normal speed so it's useful in more levels.

Attraction: Make the homing attack chainable (already merged into 2.2.9 I think), keep the rest as is. Maybe also make electrical damage more prominent in SRB2 levels; right now, it's only a thing in Techno Hill.

Elemental: Passive can stay, but the stomp would really help if it felt more like a STOMP and not just a fast drop. Maybe make it have a wider radius for enemy damage or otherwise smash things to the ground. Also might be good to remove or decrease the momentum reset. I don't think the shield should be able to break floors, since right now breakable floors serve for character path splits.

Force: I think protection from two hits is a lackluster passive ability; I have to wonder if spike/sharp thing protection would serve well for this shield, either along with or replacing two hits. Protection from not just spikes, but also cacti, maces, sharp parts of enemies like green snappers or spincushions, and likely other things I'm forgetting. As for the active ability, Katmint's momentum pause is still easily the best one I've seen. I'd much rather have it oriented upon movement than combat.

Armageddon: If this shield were to stay in SRB2 in its current form, then it would be a LOT better if the game had more secrets you can only, or by far most quickly, access using an armageddon shield. Right now we have the crawla cage in GFZ1, a few score chain combos with mines in DSZ1, the club emblem in ATZ, and not much else. It would be nice if every level in SRB2 either has a secret or two you can only (or most easily) access using an armageddon shield, or doesn't have any armageddon shields. I kind of like the idea of having the armageddon shield be a useful way to collect further secrets. Think like doors you can only open by bringing a nuke to activate a switch or set off locked-up TNT.

Last edited:
Force: I think protection from two hits is a lackluster passive ability; I have to wonder if spike/sharp thing protection would serve well for this shield, either along with or replacing two hits. Protection from not just spikes, but also cacti, maces, sharp parts of enemies like green snappers or spincushions, and likely other things I'm forgetting. As for the active ability, Katmint's momentum pause is still easily the best one I've seen. I'd much rather have it oriented upon movement than combat.

Funnily enough, there was a "Metal Shield" idea thrown around during very early SRB2 dev (like, pre-SSN early, IIRC)...

It might be interesting if someone tried to revive said Metal Shield.

Funnily enough, there was a "Metal Shield" idea thrown around during very early SRB2 dev (like, pre-SSN early, IIRC)...

It might be interesting if someone tried to revive said Metal Shield.

A "metal shield", just like Mighty's shell? that when you stomp into any spiky object, ill nullify it's damage?

Basically, yea, a "Spike Shield".

ngl it sounds a really good idea, having in mind that we already have 2 types of damage, not counting the generic damage like spikes, or ramming into a badnick just running in the floor. 2 types of damage which are Fire and Electrical, for now. It may be kinda interesting having a third kind of damage, adding any sharp or spiky object in the game.

Edit: im not counting instakill things because they cannot be avoided in any way, such things as death pits, drowning or getting crushed, or at least death pits and getting crushed, since im only talking about kind of damages

What Soniku said, I was asking for ideas and was trying to start a discussion.

Otherwise, wouldn't you think this would be in Editing?

Attraction shield is perfect as it is.

Force shield would be cool ability like Instashield but at the same time it will halt all of the player's momentum.

armageddon shield is just fine.

a passive ability for the whirlwind shield should be something like the telekinesis of the base game but with wind instead of magic and also short range.

elemental shield is pretty cool but it would be cooler if when the player stomps into the ground it makes a dropdash.

those are my ideas,i've been holding for a while.

I am not asking for ideas. This mods help you replace the shields with other shields

🛡​

and who said that you were lookig for shield ideas?. This thread is made by another user who is actually asking for ideas about it, and we replied to him

And even then, I was reffering to revamping the vanilla shield abilities, not entirely new shields.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back