I wonder which File is Better for character mods? WAD or PK3?

Netosilvagames

Pure of Heart, Dumb of Ass
Hi, You!​
Yep, Me, neto, is back!, and I finally took a step further to make a mod, I'm doing the concept arts so i can get into the sprites.

As said in the title, I wonder which file type is the best to use, WAD or PK3?
I don't know if both of them has some differences but i want to know nonetheless!

Thanks for reading!​

I don't think using any even matters. Coming from my knowledge of mods so far, I would say PK3. You can create folders using PK3 and it would make it easier to work with your mod using them.

you don't need to litter your posts with all available formatting options lol

I wonder which file type is the best to use, WAD or PK3?
Depends on the scope of the project. Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages.

WADPK3
Pros
  • Simpler to use
    • Need to test something quick? Make a new WAD and throw everything you need, no folders required. (Just renaming)
  • Can be compressed with wadzip
    • (Does not work proper with graphics and audio)
    • This prevents opening the WAD normally until decompressed
  • Better organization
    • Scripts, audio, graphics and many others must be in specific folders
    • And can be in any subfolders thereafter
    • Lump names can exceed 8 characters (for some lump types)
  • Can be opened and modified by any file archiver that can read .zip files
    • This won't retain lump order, however
  • Better compression
    • With a file archiver, you can use any compatible algorithms, letting you choose how to compress it
Cons
  • Harder to organize
    • Specific lumps must exist between two markers
    • Lump names restricted to 8 characters
      • Further restricted by some lumps requiring a specific prefix
    • Every lump is at the root of the WAD - Having too many lumps means a novel to scroll...
  • No compression by default
    • Can be wadzipped, but compression might not be optimal
  • Can't be protected/encrypted
    • In terms of "preventing it from being opened". Zip passwords prevent the game from opening the file, and wadzip doesn't act upon zip files.
  • Can be tedious to navigate
    • Mostly if you don't like opening folders to find what you need. But at least everything is in folders you chose!

Basically, if you want to do something small (like a few graphics and scripts), a WAD will do just fine.
If you want to do something bigger (level packs, TCs, multiple characters...), a PK3 would be most useful.

To answer you thread title, if it's for a single character, a simple WAD would do it.
If you plan to add more stuff like several scripts, maps, or something of greater scope than just a character with fancy moves, you might want to switch to PK3.

I don't think using any even matters. Coming from my knowledge of mods so far, I would say PK3. You can create folders using PK3 and it would make it easier to work with your mod using them.
I see, thanks for answering!
Post automatically merged:

you don't need to litter your posts with all available formatting options lol
Lololol i like to mess with the functions

Netosilvagames said:
I wonder which file type is the best to use, WAD or PK3?
Depends on the scope of the project. Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages.

WADPK3
Pros
  • Simpler to use
    • Need to test something quick? Make a new WAD and throw everything you need, no folders required. (Just renaming)
  • Can be compressed with wadzip
    • (Does not work proper with graphics and audio)
    • This prevents opening the WAD normally until decompressed
  • Better organization
    • Scripts, audio, graphics and many others must be in specific folders
    • And can be in any subfolders thereafter
    • Lump names can exceed 8 characters (for some lump types)
  • Can be opened and modified by any file archiver that can read .zip files
    • This won't retain lump order, however
  • Better compression
    • With a file archiver, you can use any compatible algorithms, letting you choose how to compress it
Cons
  • Harder to organize
    • Specific lumps must exist between two markers
    • Lump names restricted to 8 characters
      • Further restricted by some lumps requiring a specific prefix
    • Every lump is at the root of the WAD - Having too many lumps means a novel to scroll...
  • No compression by default
    • Can be wadzipped, but compression might not be optimal
  • Can't be protected/encrypted
    • In terms of "preventing it from being opened". Zip passwords prevent the game from opening the file, and wadzip doesn't act upon zip files.
  • Can be tedious to navigate
    • Mostly if you don't like opening folders to find what you need. But at least everything is in folders you chose!

Basically, if you want to do something small (like a few graphics and scripts), a WAD will do just fine.
If you want to do something bigger (level packs, TCs, multiple characters...), a PK3 would be most useful.

To answer you thread title, if it's for a single character, a simple WAD would do it.
If you plan to add more stuff like several scripts, maps, or something of greater scope than just a character with fancy moves, you might want to switch to PK3.
Woa, that's really interesting, thanks for telling me the PROS and CONS, I really needed to know these!
So yea, As i can see, both are really good, one's about complexity and other's about simplicity, Good to know!
Thanks alot for explaining everything, now i know which to choose!

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back