I want to learn C++ but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanHedge

I can't find any good places to look over the internet and I know where to get C++ compilers and some good source code to play with. Ahem*Pionts to SRB2* but I know only very little C++ and want to learn more about it. Can anybody give me a hand?

SRB2 source code is not C++, it's C. Contrary to populare belief there is a pretty big difference. But it's best to try and learn C first anyway.

Odd I've always heard C and C++ are mostly the same. At the least compatible, but I want to learn both so lets see more sources and thanks Chaos. I'll start looking when I get a chance I got things to work on tonight

I've learn Javascript and Pearl in my website class and since that I can understand a bit of C and C++ but it isn'n enough.... Ware is Eva I got to do luandry with here and work on my budget... No she's not a slave she just knows how to budget the hell out of things and I do my luandry it's just a busy day for both of us.... She's my mom. ^^

Ok, if you know C++ but not C, you'll be able to understand C but wont know it's limitations, if you know C but not C++, you'll only understand C.

And that's why I need to learn them. From what I've have read a C++ compiler should beable to compile C coding right?

Sorry shoulda proof readr this...

Here's a good book: "Larry Ullman & Marc Liyanage visual quickstart guide to C programming". I know it's a long title, but it's got a big C on it and it's how I learned.

One I like is C++ Primer plus, but the one I have is like from the '90s and the standards are to old to use with today's compiler. I want to buy the update version and Amazon has a good deal C++ Primer plus and C Primer plus as a combo, but I don't have any money right now.....

Ah repairing computers what fun. :)

RyanHedge said:
One I like is C++ Primer plus, but the one I have is like from the '90s and the standards are to old to use with today's compiler. I want to buy the update version and Amazon has a good deal C++ Primer plus and C Primer plus as a combo, but I don't have any money right now.....

Ah repairing computers what fun. :)

ANSI C is ANSI C. A book from the nineties is perfectly adequate.

A quick Google turned up this, which seems good.

And for the record, C++ is object-oriented, while C is not. C++ still allows you to write purely procedural code, and accordingly all well-written C is valid C++.

No offence, but I tryed using the code in the book and the compile itself siad it was to old to use!!!

(Let's not argue though)

RyanHedge said:
No offence, but I tryed using the code in the book and the compile itself siad it was to old to use!!!

(Let's not argue though)

0_0 It could be that the book was trying to teach you K&R C, but no-one (except UNIX-programmer-types) has used that for... a long time: since the mid-eighties, I think. Even then, however, I find it odd (but I don't doubt your veracity!) that a compiler should complain when you feed it K&R C. I'm curious now. What code didn't it like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back