I remember SSN saying he put animated cutscenes in SRB2 2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco_King

Is it still possible in recent versions of the game? For example, is it possible to put Flash animations at the end of a level or when an event occurs(like turning into Super Sonic)?

I know you can make cutscenes by SOCcing, but what about regular videos and Flash animations?

Unfortunately no, we're limited to SRB2's weird graphic-novel system, and cheap hacks with SOCs. (Which have never actually been done, but would work in theory)

I'm still working on a test wad for that so you all just have to wait for it =P

Draykon said:
Unfortunately no, we're limited to SRB2's weird graphic-novel system, and cheap hacks with SOCs. (Which have never actually been done, but would work in theory)
I've considered making an SRB2 mod with visual-novel-style cutscenes, but then it would slow the pace of the game down, so I don't think I'll ever do it. Ingame storytelling doesn't go too well in Sonic games for that reason.

The only modern Sonic game I've seen good use of cutscenes in is Sonic Adventure 2, which still maintains at least SOME of the speed of the series. Obviously Sonic 3's cutscenes are fine too. But neither of these are technically possible in SRB2, and pretending to have them isn't practical either.

SilverESP said:
I'm still working on a test wad for that so you all just have to wait for it =P
You are severely limited to the amount of frames you can use when making animated cutscenes in SRB2, as Neo found out when he tried porting Sonic CD's intro to SRB2. Plus 35fps is a horrible ticrate to work with, because you'd either have to limit your videos's framerates to a factor of 35 (which COULD mean you can't convert videos from outside sources properly), or use irregular framerates instead like in some GIFs.

I'll Begin, Sonic 3 style cutscenes aren't THAT impractical with clever use of SOCs and state-changing linedef executers. But I don't think anyone with the skill to pull it off has ever actually given it a try.

Besides that, they'd be unskippable. And unskippable cutscenes suck.

Couldn't you make like a set path for the sprites to follow like with the 2nd eggman boss? And even if they weren't skippable, as long as they're short it doesn't matter.

The general public doesn't seem to realise just how hardcoded the Egg-Slimer is. Something similar, while probably SOCcable, would work completely differently.

SOCs simply cannot access things like axises, and NiGHTS mode paths. Nor is a trail of "waypoints" really reasonable. What would need to be done, would be a map with a bunch of state changing linedef executers, set to move a thing along them by altering his states to do stuff like jump, run in a direction until he hits another linedef executer, etc.

Getting the actual player out of the way is the hard part. You could probably put him away in a random sector somewhere, and use a cut-away-view, but then the camera would be fixed. Unless you use a trick with a bunch of invisible FOFs and an elevator.

It's probably possible, but not really reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back