I am so dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannyness

OK, my c key, m key, v key full stop comma and enter key are all broken. all happened at once. using the onscreen keyboard to type them. Its a laptop so I can't just buy a new keyboard. i think they took some bashes. Any idea how to fix them - my mum will ban me from her laptop if she finds out and my beloved Simmies are all on here. can't do bugger all on my own Pc concerning them! Help greatly appreciated! =3

You could try pushing the keys in question up with the edge and see if they jump out, and then reput them. This may fix the problems you've got when you try to press them. I've done it several times with the keyboard of my older laptop.
I know this isn't for you, as you do not want to be found out, but you *can* buy a new keyboard for the laptop - in fact the laptop keyboards have a connector, but I'm unsure if it is standardized and I don't think a laptop keyboard is very easy to find. (you could always look on something like eBay, I think)
If the BIOS is good, also external USB keyboards will work fine, but that's too clumsy for practical use.

I could try that, but if they wouldn't go back in again I'd be in even deeper shit. and plus the laptop's battery is really dodgy so we have to keep it plugged in - but a USB keyboard might work. Somewhere on ebay might have a nwew keyboard... Is it easy to install?

OK, my mum noticed. I got lucky, she's let me off the hook... and yes we tried cleaning. Unfortunately, I can't play on my Sims till it's fixed. But yeah, lucky escape.

It's safe to pop off the keys. They just snap back on.

What you want to do is pop each one off, and then check to make sure that the little rubber thing is in the correct place. If it's not, that could be causing the problem.

Very valid points, Neo and SSN.. my mum will not be persuaded to take the keys out. She treasures her laptop. =3 And she doesn't want to plugin a USB keyboard either, because she's stubborn.

Then pop the keys off when she leaves. That's how you fix it, unless you want to take it to a repair shop and pay through the nose for them to just pop the keys off. Or maybe they'll decide to just hit you with the bill to buy a new keyboard.

To put the keys on, you really just put them back in their place, and press them a little harder than you usually would to type until you hear a little click.

I've taken apart and put back together a lot of laptops, so it's OK. Besides, if the keys ALREADY don't work, then what do you have to lose?

P.S. Be a little extra careful when popping off the spacebar.. it's also usually held in with a little metal bar, too. Be gentle.

I just recently had the same problem. All you have to do is look up your laptop model and buy a replacement keyboard. Can you tell us your model and brand of your laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back