Hurricane Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this hurricane is big trouble where I live. I had to evacuate Ocean City (which is where I live near to costal line)! My family and I are currently in Rhode Island where my cousin live. This storm is bad for people who live near costal lines and shores.

I really been expecting to wake up in 60 mph wind gusts. It looks like the hurricane sped up, flying through NYC, bit it still brought damage. My backyard is full of small broken twigs, I got a new baseball, thanks to Irene, and a "No Parking" sign landed on my dad's car which he brought around to the back before the storm.

Yeah, the house here is fine but the small tree in the front yard was pretty heavily damaged. Hopefully it will be capable of recovering.

Really guys, it's a Cat 1, Florida considers this a light breeze in comparison to the Cat 3-4s they get yearly. Anyone worrying about family, don't panic they'll be fine. Most of the 'damage' is minimal from Irene.

And now, a diary of a mother's life in NYC:
q2KYv.jpg

Yea, I admit it: It was a breeze. The only scary thing about those winds is the noise they make.

It was only a nuisance where I live, but I'm watching news reports and it's been pretty devastating to some surrounding towns. There have been some destructive mudslides and serious flooding.

Really guys, it's a Cat 1, Florida considers this a light breeze in comparison to the Cat 3-4s they get yearly. Anyone worrying about family, don't panic they'll be fine. Most of the 'damage' is minimal from Irene.
It's more a matter of location. Florida, while it regularly gets hurricanes significantly stronger than Irene was, has building codes and regulations that understand their vulnerability to hurricanes and try to account for that. Many of the more northern east coast states don't have those rules because hurricanes going on this path are very rare. There's also the absurd size of this thing, with an area that is almost twice the size of the United Kingdom, to give you some perspective. Even hundreds of miles away from the weakened storm's center here in DC, there are several trees downed in my neighborhood and small twigs and leaves quite common. Fortunately, Irene ended up weaker than expected and most areas came out okay, but it easily could have been infinitely worse.

It's kinda like what would happen if there was a strong Blizzard in Florida. I suspect a lot of roofs would collapse and there would be horrific damage because people just don't plan for such an unlikely scenario and build their buildings with the heavy weight of snow in mind.

Cue said:
Mother's life stuff

Only a mother would spell "cupcake" "cup cake".

The effect the hurricane had on me was devastating. The winds hit my area, and messed up my shots in a game of Airsoft, getting me killed before my time. Again, positively devastating.

For us, it passed. Mostly during the night we had some rain and heavy winds. Only some of the trees fell and the lake I live near is nearly flooded.

Hurricane wasn't that bad for me. Sure some small tree branches fell and the power went out, but the very next morning the power came on right when I woke up.

It's kinda like what would happen if there was a strong Blizzard in Florida. I suspect a lot of roofs would collapse and there would be horrific damage because people just don't plan for such an unlikely scenario and build their buildings with the heavy weight of snow in mind.

Actually, the hurricane building codes should work pretty well for a blizzard, too. The problems are going to come from people just going batshit insane. Wouldn't want to go driving that day...

Despite being a category 1, Everything was okay once I had returned to Ocean City with my family until I fell on some glass. We had no power here for at least 4 hours. But for my other friend who lives more in the country of Maryland he said that he lost power for almost 4 days. Im glad nobody was harmed, badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back