How would you rate the official levels? - Part TWO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but they can just shoot you with their recollected rings, since the room has no defensible positions. That's what I'm really talking about.

For instance, in Lime Forest, the base has several light lines to the flag where you can fire at them without exposing yourself significantly. In Cloud Palace the flag is placed on a floating platform accessible by springs that can be camped. In Silver Cascade the flag is placed in a cramped room with a tiny entrance. In Twisted Terminal...it's right out in the open. Sure you can drop grenades on it, but in all those other levels you can do that AND position yourself in safe places.

Personally I think we should rework the bases so the flag is less trivial to grab. This is the problem with Icicle Falls as well.

Well in Icicle Falls, the pillars next to the flag make grabbers vulnerable to bomb rings, and you can stand on the ledge, but that's about it. But then again, the whole map is supposed to be fast actioned chaos, so maybe it fits in.

There is a difference between fast action and intense gameplay and completely nullifying a part of the game.

CTF is a game where defense is supposed to be a strategy. In Icicle Falls it really isn't. You just let them take your flag and hope that your flag runner is near the flag when it gets returned, just like the old 1.09.4 days.

Really can't disagree with you there Mystic; you have a good point. Defence in IFZ should be increased. Maybe narrowing that opening so the close bounce rings may actually be useful?

I shall rate them, In a semi simple fashion.

GFZ1: 7/10 Its a good starter, level but a little short.
GFZ2: 8/10 A Large level, With a few Secrets, I like it a little better then the first act.
GFZ3: 5/10 The boss is a little too easy just like Sonic 2's First boss. The level it self isn't too appealing.
THZ1: 6/10 Some of the level is a little dull, and not all of it is factory like.
THZ2: 8/10 A nice big factory level just what i like, it could use a little more detail.
THZ3: 6/10 The boss is way to easy if you use the spin trick, you could make the level look more a factory train instead of a single cart.
DSZ1: 8/10 I like water levels, It's a little long unless you use the glitch with ends the level.
DSZ2: 9/10 Longer and better then the first Act, there likey areas i haven't explored.
DSZ3: 8/10 A very unique boss fight, It much better then the first 2, But you'll have to watch out for the electric water.
CEZ1: 7/10 I like this better then the old version, The only problem is i'll die alot cause the level is too dark.
CEZ2: 7/10 Theres Lag in some areas, people have already said this, the most interesting in this level is the exit to NAGZ.
NAGZ: 8/10 A long and difficult level, Even Harder with Sonic.
ACZ1: 9/10 I Love the rope belts alot, the only problem is the glass platform thing near the end, It's very glitchy and hard to pass with sonic.
RVZ1: 10/10 my favorite level in the game so far, i like the lava gimicks, especially the lava wave near the end.
BMZ2: ?/10 I'm not gonna rate it yet because its too unfinished, I like the music.
ERZ1: 8/10 I like this level more then the 2nd act, Perfect difficulty, but a semi annyoing airless section near the end.
ERZ2: 7/10 This level has the same great things as the last act, only problem its way too long and way to hard, and it results in alot of cheap deaths, I like the
flashback Midboss and the timed upside down areas, I aslo like the disco.
ERZ3: 8/10 The best boss, but a lack of detail in the "room" itself.
SS1 - SS3: 9/10 These stages are great, but this emerald minigame
is alot more difficult then the Genesis games.
SS4: 7/10 A very blue level, kinda annoying with Sonic.
SS5 - SS7: 5/10 I couldnt beat these ones these ones are too difficult for me.
MKB1 - MKB3: 8/10 It seems strange to find a Mario level in Sonic, but these levels were pretty fun.
SHZ Nights: 5/10 Eh, I dont find Nights levels that fun, Nights Sonic is too slow.
SRB1 Remake: 7/10 Some of the platforming is difficult, Theres no bosses.. yet.
I like the concept of 2D level.

Ill do the other gamemode's levels later.

I remember when that miniboss instakilled you, not damaged you.

Ugh.

He didn't say "a lot of cheap deaths, like...". He said "a lot of cheap deaths. I like..." He wasn't saying the miniboss was cheap; he said he liked it.

I liked it so much I put it in my mod, Tortured Planet, as anyone who played Liftoff Gantry Zone Act 2 will already be aware. I modified the aesthetics a lot, but it behaves exactly the same.

Aww, I was gonna make the epic bump ;-;

SINGLE PLAYER

[will be added later]

MULTIPLAYER
MATCH

Jade Valley Zone - 6/10
An average stage, with an average layout. The item placement is quite good, but you can easily get 25 rail shots in few seconds*. The visuals are also quite bad, seeing as the GFZ textures only look good when the floor heights are a multiple of 64, and when they're properly aligned. Neither one of them apply to this level. It also needs more texture variation.
* = Get the Rail panel, get the ammo at both sides of the platform, go to the Grenade room, get the ammo on the ledge, and then get the last one in the water.

Noxious Factory Zone - 6/10
Next is the THZ-styled level. It's not bad, but a bit cramped. The outside area also looks very ugly, and the slime can get quite annoying. It's a good hazard though, and the overall level isn't bad. Slightly better than average.

Tidal Palace Zone - 1/10
oshit itz a water level i suck at those i will rate it low!!!!1!!!

Tidal Palace Zone - 8/10
After that, we get the DSZ-like level. It has a really clever idea behind the level, and the execution was done well. The visuals are quite nice, and the layout is quite good. However, it does get a bit cramped at points.

Thunder Citadel Zone - 7/10
This CEZ-styled map seems to be the map that everybody likes. I agree with some of the praise, but some points could've been done better. The visuals are quite decent, but it is a bit bland.

Desolate Twilight Zone - 3/10
This ACZ-like level is boring to play in. Lots of flat ground, which results in Sonic players thokking all over the place, and it's just a franctic mess. There also is a lack of rings, and people tend to camp the SRM, because it's so tailor-made for it. The visuals are also quite bland.

Infernal Cavern Zone - 7/10
Quite the polar opposite of TCZ, everybody seems to hate this RVZ-like level. I like it, because you have to be alert at all times, and the visuals are also quite nice. We definitely need visual cues to where the flame jets are (but that's fixed for 2.0.5. anyway), and there might be a little too much danger in this level. It's quite a solid map otherwise.

Frost Columns Zone - 9/10
The only flaw with this BMZ-like level are the visuals. They are not quite good. The rest of the level, however, is just perfect. The ice mechanic is original and not distracting, the gameplay and weapon layout are extremely well done, and the atmosphere is great. It also helps that I had the best 1v1 match ever in this stage. (Thanks srb2kirbyo/Kirboy for such an awesome match!)

MAP97 - ?/10

I suspect that this map will be an ERZ themed map, dunno why.

Sapphire Falls Zone - 6/10
Yay, a GHZ themed stage! It's very open, and the water is rarely used. I also hate it when I accidentaly fall in the river, because I can't get out with Sonic. The visuals also need variation, but the item placement is decent.

Meadow Match Zone - 2/10
This GFZ themed stage (another one?) is too simple for my taste. Even if it makes Rail powerful, this is just a thokmatch for Sonic players. The high platform just asks to be used as a sniper deck, and this level really lacks in the visual department. This map is just way too simple.

CAPTURE THE FLAG

Lime Forest Zone - 6/10
This map is also quite simple, but it's not bad. In fact, it works well, even if the bases are a bit too cramped. The visuals are nice, and that's really all there is to say.

Cloud Palace Zone - 2/10
I don't like this map. I dislike how you can just run between the bases, and I dislike the base design too. The path balance is just really off, and those flaws bring down the map a lot. It has decent visuals, but that's it.

Silver Cascade Zone - 1/10
I really can't stand this map. It drags on forever if you accidentaly fall down in the middle, and you get the most massive chokepoint ever on that slow path. The visuals are not that good either, I dunno what the level's supposed to resemble. The bases are extremely bland, and the item placement is just bad.

Icicle Falls Zone - 8/10
This is easily the best CTF map. Both the visuals and gameplay are better than the other maps, and this map leads to a hectic match, which I like. I know I said I though DTZ was too franctic, but this map is not as bad. The hectic playing style leads to many fun matches. The only bad thing is that the bases are indeed impossible to defend, and they encourage camping a bit.

Twisted Terminal Zone - 6/10

This map is very average. It looks, plays, and feels average. However, the reverse gravity gimmick is well-executed, and that drags this map up to a 6. Nothing else to say, really.

Nimbus Ruins Zone - 7/10
This map can be a lot of fun, if the players are skilled enough. This map is fun to play in, maybe a bit frustrating under heavy lag, but it lacks a bit visually. There's not a lot to do about that, however. There also is a lack of shields, I only get one from the SRM sometimes.

CIRCUIT
[will be added later, maybe]

Last edited:
GFZ1: 8/10 Simple enough for a beginner whilst still being quite fun. Looks pretty nice.
GFZ2: 9/10 Really big and fun to explore, the music is awesome too. The brown chequered texture can hurt your eyes when overused though.
GFZ3: 6/10 It's annoying how hard it is to hit Robotnik when he's whizzing about and going really high at the end but besides that it's pretty good.
THZ1: 7/10 Lacks detail a little but quite fun and the music is V. fitting. The pipey bit in the factory can be frustrating, but maybe that's good.
THZ2: 8/10 I like the factory theme of it and the way you can go two different paths near the beginning. Maybe a little too short though, I can finish it in about 54 seconds with Knux.
THZ3: 5/10 A good idea, but it's rather hard to do as Sonic or Tails, especially Sonic. You easily bounce off him and die on the edge of the level which kinda seems like a copout.
DSZ1: 7/10 This level has grown on me; although taking ages to finish, it's intricately designed and fun to explore. The music is beautiful and fits the level very well. I still think it's a little too hard to be level 3 though.
DSZ2: 6/10 I like this one a little less, mainly because of the sheer amounts of those water-skimming-bomb-dropping things. I would think there are better ways of making a level hard.
DSZ3: 9/10 This boss is reeeally fun, the only fault I can find is how when you fall into the water you almost immediately die without a chance of getting out again. That can be a little annoying, but oh well.
CEZ1: 6/10 Meeeh this is alright, I like the part with the trees and the bad guys that throw stuff at you, but I simply DETEST those things that swing around in circles that you grab. They slow you down a ton and they're so hard to use!
CEZ2: 5/10 For some reason it seems kinda unfinished, and the bit at the end with the large cylinder at the centre of the room to me forever to figure out what to do. Maybe I'm just thick, haha.
ACZ1: 9/10 Pretty much everything about this level is perfect. The textures, the music, the gameplay. The one thing I dislike are those hyper annoying flying badnik things, they don't really fit in with the level and they always knock me of the rail things near the end. Maybe just reduce the number of them a liiittle.
RVZ1: 10/10 My favourite level. It's amazing fun to play, the number of alternate routes is fun, and I am in love with the music. The textures are perfect, and I find myself going back to try and beat my previous time on it. WOW, I can't say enough good things about it! I only hope BMZ lives up to it.
ERZ1: 7/10 I like the music quite a lot, and it's overall pretty fun, especially the gravity changing things. The only thing that annoys me is the amount of moments where you find yourself saying 'hold on, I didn't know that thing would hurt me' or 'how/why the hell did I just die!?'
ERZ2: Haven't gotten up to it yet :-/
ERZ3: Same, although I tried it in coop mode. I like the Robotnik boss sprites, but that's pretty much all I have to say.#

Favourite match levels? I don't really play multiplayer but I do like Meadow Match because it is so simple and fun to play. You can have endless fun chasing people around and bouncing off springs (until the 5min time limit, haha) and the music is nice and peppy. I'd give it a 8/10.

What I mean is, near the beginning there is this ledge you have to get over to which is difficult to thok to as Sonic, and if you miss you fall down into a pit where there is an alternate route.

Yeah, RVZ1 shows its age because of how linear it is with almost no secrets. It's still fun in places, but it's definitely old and it's obvious.

I still thing Eggrock was a Zone designed to piss people off, but be really unique, like the Mega man Wily Castle(s).

Im Doing Match Now, and these maps are pretty good.

Meadow match: 6/10 A Very Simple Map, Infact it's too simple, making it difficult for hide and seek, for the hiders that is.
Sapphire Falls: 8/10 This map Reminds me of Green Hill, and is pretty fun level.
Infernal Caverns: 8/10 This map is a awesome volcano level, but it can be a tad annyoing to play sometimes.
Desolate Twilight: 9/10 This map is my Favorite Match map, but it is little dark out.
Thunder Citadal: 8/10 This map is very CEZ like, And large to be honest.
Tidal Palace: 7/10 This map is somewhat good, the only problem i have is getting hit while getting bubbles, it reminds me of the old hydro plant map.
Noxious Factory: 7/10 Falling in the slime was common for me here, especially when trying to get the 5 moniters in the middle of the factory, I do like hiding near the Strong random Moniter, if im playing this on hide and seek.
Jade Valley: 7/10 Jade Valley, Are we near the Jade Coast?
No, but this map knuckles has the advantage due to all the tall platforms and what not.

Thats all I can really say right now.

Last edited:
GFZ1:7/10 A very basic level. Pretty good for beginners.
GFZ2:8/10 Same as above but a bit more challenging.
GFZ3:6/10 An easy boss. Good for beginners. (The arena needs to be abit more open though.)
THZ1:8/10 The second level of the game is bound to be easy but it's still pretty good.
THZ2:7/10 Slime, slime, and slime. Nough said.
THZ3:6.5/10 Out of bounds fail is fail. :P
DSZ1: 10/10 Okay.......in September 2000, there was a preview of Srb2. There was a little piece of Deep Sea Zone in it. There was no sign of this version anywhere on the internet. So you guys kept Deep Sea from us for along time..........until 2.0.1 came out.
DSZ2:10/10 Same as above. :P (I listen to the old Deep Sea zone theme,"Tunes 99" here.)
DSZ3:8/10 A boss that is actually hard.(Except for CEZ3 from 1.09.4 on Very Hard or Ultimate mode.)
CEZ1:7/10 We emerge from what I see is DSZ3. We venture through a forest guarded by Badniks. We find the castle. We enter it. Were done. :S
CEZ2:10/10 Redxvi, NAGZ ,And 11 1-ups. Awesome.
NAGZ:10/10 Welcome to heaven guys.....welcome to heaven.
CEZ3:???/10 A friend that I know made a version of this.
ACZ1:8/10 We venture through Mine Maze. We climb up Rocky Mountain. We find a Spring. We are here. This level is easy to get lost in. The end is HARD.(I'm thinking the volcano entrance is gonna be removed when ACZ2 comes out....right?)
ACZ2:???/10 See CEZ3 description.
ACZ3:???/10 See CEZ3 description.
RVZ1:10/10 Hard, awesome, and red. What else?(I discovered something when making a WAD that let you go to BMZ2.)
BMZ2:10/10 See CEZ3 description. (True description: This level is awesome. I don't care if it's unfinished. :D I still play the dang level.)
RVZ3:???/10 No comment.
DCZ1:10/10 I look forward to this level.
DCZ2:???/10 Same a above.
DCZ3:???/10 Robotropolis With Brak Eggman?
DShip Or GEShip:???/10 I look forward to this level as well..
ERZ1:10/10 Mah boi, this awesomeness is what all true warriors strive for!
ERZ2:10/10
ERZ3:10/10 The final battle is awesome.
Final Fight zone:???/10 Okay......this is probably gonna be an awesome zone.:D

Last edited:
DSZ1: 10/10 Okay.......in September 2000, there was a preview of Srb2. There was a little piece of Deep Sea Zone in it. There was no sign of this version anywhere on the internet. So you guys kept Deep Sea from us for along time..........until 2.0.1 came out.
No, that was actually the only part of DSZ that was done at this time, IIRC. Most of it was made between 2007 and 2008.

Deep Sea Zone, especially act 2, is a conglomerate of multiple older ideas and WIPs for Deep Sea, some of which go back all the way to 2000. There are a ton of different (mostly terrible maps) that were gutted, had the good parts taken out, and placed into a stage, with new stuff mixed in-between. To give an example, the waterslide at the start of DSZ2 was from a different file than the room the water drains into, which was from a different file than the hallway you see in that old preview video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back