How to Properly Loop your Music

How to Properly Loop your Music

Rolly Polly Pal

world's most wanted criminal
Apollyon Woman submitted a new resource:

How to Properly Loop your Music - Learn to do it just like the pros!

I've noticed quite a number of people who either don't loop the music in their levels properly, or don't know how. Thankfully, this guide is here to teach you exactly what you need to do to make your music loop like it should!

You will need:

Why Forked?
Very recently (as in, a few days ago...

Read more about this resource...

Is there anything wrong with using "LOOPPOINT" with samples at 44100Hz instead of "LOOPMS" with milliseconds? And the new update of SLADE doesn't help because you can't see the looppoint you put in.

Is there anything wrong with using "LOOPPOINT" with samples at 44100Hz instead of "LOOPMS" with milliseconds? And the new update of SLADE doesn't help because you can't see the looppoint you put in.
There is virtually no difference between the two methods. It’s just easier with LOOPMS since you’re simply converting Seconds to milliseconds rather than attempting to multiply your time by 44100. Although I haven’t seen the new update yet, it should tell you the file’s metadata regardless of what’s in it

One thing I should point out is that you can even reduce the file size of your music file even more by:
  1. Closing Audacity after first saving your file.​
  2. Then, re-opening your file in Audacity and saving it at the lowest quality again.​
  3. Rinse and repeat from Step 1 until you're satisfied (or until the file size can't get any lower) with the file size and/or audio quality.​
(From the first save, it is impossible to save your file at a higher quality to get the lost quality back. Just make a backup before you do. That always works.)

NOTE: Another thing I should mention is that you should listen to your song each and every time you do this because every time you save your file, the quality decreases. So reduce your file size just right. Small enough that it takes up less space, but not so small that the quality of the song is crummy. (Although, it all depends on the listener's ears, so if you think that "crummy" is okay, then go for it.)

So, I've been having issues getting music to loop properly on or past the minute mark. It completely messes up, is there a specific way for me to do it correctly?

So, I've been having issues getting music to loop properly on or past the minute mark. It completely messes up, is there a specific way for me to do it correctly?
Is your track set to a rate of "44100"? If it isn't, that's probably why the looppoint's all jank. SRB2 only loops music files in 44100Hz.

Is your track set to a rate of "44100"? If it isn't, that's probably why the looppoint's all jank. SRB2 only loops music files in 44100Hz.
The track is set to the rate of 44100, but I'm using Loopms instead of the looppoint method. Could that be it?

The track is set to the rate of 44100, but I'm using Loopms instead of the looppoint method. Could that be it?
If looping your song at or past the minute mark, did you put the correct number of milliseconds? I think the problem is the number of milliseconds you put when your save your track, not that you're using LOOPMS instead of LOOPPOINT, because they both work fine.

For example, if you wanted to loop your song at 5 seconds, you would put "5000" [milliseconds]. If you wanted to loop your song at 30 seconds, you would put "30000" [milliseconds]. The number of milliseconds is the number of seconds multiplied by 1000.
Screenshot (568).bk01.png

Now, here's where I think the problem was. For example, if you wanted to loop your song at a minute + 5 seconds (1:05), you would put "65000" [milliseconds], not "105000" [milliseconds]. The trick is to not look at it as a minute and 5 seconds, but as 65 seconds.
Screenshot (570).png

LOOPMS only reads milliseconds, so if you're looping at a minute (1:00), you're technically looping at 60 seconds. If you're looping at 1 minute + 30 seconds (1:30), you're looping at 90 seconds. If you're looping at 2 minutes (2:00), you're looping at 120 seconds, and so on. In other words, you're only looping with milliseconds, not minutes and milliseconds.

1 minute = 60 seconds = 60000 milliseconds
2 minutes = 120 seconds = 120000 milliseconds
3 minutes = 180 seconds = 180000 milliseconds

So next time you want to loop at 1 minute + 9.124 seconds (1:09.124), remember that
Screenshot (572).png
is wrong and
Screenshot (573).png
is right! Hope this helped!

If looping your song at or past the minute mark, did you put the correct number of milliseconds? I think the problem is the number of milliseconds you put when your save your track, not that you're using LOOPMS instead of LOOPPOINT, because they both work fine.

For example, if you wanted to loop your song at 5 seconds, you would put "5000" [milliseconds]. If you wanted to loop your song at 30 seconds, you would put "30000" [milliseconds]. The number of milliseconds is the number of seconds multiplied by 1000.
View attachment 75321

Now, here's where I think the problem was. For example, if you wanted to loop your song at a minute + 5 seconds (1:05), you would put "65000" [milliseconds], not "105000" [milliseconds]. The trick is to not look at it as a minute and 5 seconds, but as 65 seconds.
View attachment 75322

LOOPMS only reads milliseconds, so if you're looping at a minute (1:00), you're technically looping at 60 seconds. If you're looping at 1 minute + 30 seconds (1:30), you're looping at 90 seconds. If you're looping at 2 minutes (2:00), you're looping at 120 seconds, and so on. In other words, you're only looping with milliseconds, not minutes and milliseconds.

1 minute = 60 seconds = 60000 milliseconds
2 minutes = 120 seconds = 120000 milliseconds
3 minutes = 180 seconds = 180000 milliseconds

So next time you want to loop at 1 minute + 9.124 seconds (1:09.124), remember that View attachment 75327 is wrong and View attachment 75328 is right! Hope this helped!
Ah, this makes sense now. Thanks for clearing this up for me, it really helped!

I made a loop point that sounds seamless in Audacity but it doesn't ingame, it cuts out for a second before looping. Why does it do that

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back