How to portforward witht he Xfinity app?

The only option available to me for portforwarding is the Xfinity app. When I choose my network, I can then select a device and make a port forward. However, it doesn't have an option to do anything besides choosing the protocal. I can't make specific entries. I'm also not sure how to check if my SRB2K server is actually running after I do all this.

Last edited:
I can't make specific entries.
1627834594496.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=Xfinity+app+port+forward

1627834608085.png

Yes, you can: Manual Setup.

not sure how to check if my SRB2K server is actually running after I do all this

You can either:
  • Check the SRB2K Master Server for your server. If it is online and being advertised, it will show up here.
    If your port is correctly opened, your server's information will be shown correctly. Otherwise, you will find it at the bottom of the list with the "unreachable" label.
    This website is pinned in the #netgames channel at the Kart Krew Discord server.
  • Use the online port checking tool by jameds.
    The website automatically fills in your auto-detected IP address and the 5029 port.
    Just open your server and use the tool. It will report whether the website can see you(r server).

View attachment 50354
https://www.google.com/search?q=Xfinity+app+port+forward

View attachment 50355
Yes, you can: Manual Setup.

You can either:
  • Check the SRB2K Master Server for your server. If it is online and being advertised, it will show up here.
    If your port is correctly opened, your server's information will be shown correctly. Otherwise, you will find it at the bottom of the list with the "unreachable" label.
    This website is pinned in the #netgames channel at the Kart Krew Discord server.
  • Use the online port checking tool by jameds.
    The website automatically fills in your auto-detected IP address and the 5029 port.
    Just open your server and use the tool. It will report whether the website can see you(r server).
I've seen all that, it's just not working. Port forward on my PC, port number 5029, TCP/UDP, and no server shows up when I start it.

Have you set the server's room to anything other than Unlisted Mode?
1627939574913.png

Additionally, is the game allowed to make connections with the internet? The first time you have tried to perform any internet connection within the game, it should have prompted if you wanted to make an exception for it. At least, for Windows based operative systems.

Have you set the server's room to anything other than Unlisted Mode?
View attachment 50448

Additionally, is the game allowed to make connections with the internet? The first time you have tried to perform any internet connection within the game, it should have prompted if you wanted to make an exception for it. At least, for Windows based operative systems.
Well my UI doesnt look like that, but I've set "Advertise" to "Yes".

I have also played on a public server without issue.

Well my UI doesnt look like that
oop right my bad i briefly forgot the SRB2K part, but it does have an advertise setting yes.

I have also played on a public server without issue.
That's not what I meant for the second question.
Windows will, by default, block any incoming connections to any software unless you explicitly tell it not to. Windows will prompt you only once the first time it happens (for example, when you host a game).
You can check the Windows Firewall and see if there's any entry related to the game and whether you allowed or forbid it.

oop right my bad i briefly forgot the SRB2K part, but it does have an advertise setting yes.

That's not what I meant for the second question.
Windows will, by default, block any incoming connections to any software unless you explicitly tell it not to. Windows will prompt you only once the first time it happens (for example, when you host a game).
You can check the Windows Firewall and see if there's any entry related to the game and whether you allowed or forbid it.
In my antivirus of choice, searching up SRB2Kart shows me that "You allowed srb2kart to access your network resources" as the one and only action that ever popped up.

My other guess was that Comcast was blocking access to the port, as there is a security page to allow that through, but the page says it hasn't detected any threats in 10 days, so that mustn't be the issue either.
Post automatically merged:

Ok, wow, I just figured it out. I was operating with a major misunderstanding about what the server IP address was. It turns out I don't connect via the IPV4 address, I connect via the IP address given to me jamed's tool, which I assumed was just some default test server until I realized it only worked when my server was up.

I addiotnally was not waiting long enough for my advertised server to show up in the list. So it all looks good now. Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
I connect via the IP address given to me jamed's tool
That address is you!

Assuming you're talking about your own dedicated server given context clues, normally you *wouldn't* connect to your server through your external address as it would basically make both your client and server communicate with each other in the following manner:
  • Connect to the Internet
  • Figure out where [Your Address] is
  • Do a 360
  • Moonwalk back to yourself
  • Rinse and repeat for every packet sent from and to

Instead you would use your local address, the one you get through ipconfig that often begins with 192.168 (Not the default gateway!).
Or even 127.0.0.1/localhost.

But hey, if it works for you and the latency is tolerable (it should be), then you can ignore that lol

Have fun!

That address is you!

Assuming you're talking about your own dedicated server given context clues, normally you *wouldn't* connect to your server through your external address as it would basically make both your client and server communicate with each other in the following manner:
  • Connect to the Internet
  • Figure out where [Your Address] is
  • Do a 360
  • Moonwalk back to yourself
  • Rinse and repeat for every packet sent from and to

Instead you would use your local address, the one you get through ipconfig that often begins with 192.168 (Not the default gateway!).
Or even 127.0.0.1/localhost.

But hey, if it works for you and the latency is tolerable (it should be), then you can ignore that lol

Have fun!
Sorry, can your reword that? Is the IP adress the tool gives me the code I give to my friends to connect to me?

Is the IP adress the tool gives me the code I give to my friends to connect to me
Yeah. That's basically it.

IP addresses are like street names that people and services use to find you.

There are several kinds, but the most known ones are two: Local and External.
Local addresses are addresses that only make sense to you and your router. A router interprets them as "some device that is connected to me" (for those that begin with 192.168, for example).
External addresses are actually those that your router interprets as "some device on the internet", and tries to act accordingly. Every device connected to the internet has one attached to them. Any external device that wants to connect to you needs to have your external address.

Then there's a special kind: These are the Loopback addresses. When any device attempts to connect to 127.0.0.1 or localhost, the router will notice it and quckly reroute the connection back to the source. This leads to that device connecting to itself without even touching the Internet.

By connecting to yourself with your external address, you are unnecesarily connecting to the Internet just to return back to your computer and connect to your server. This will use some (probably imperceptible amounts of) internet resources during gameplay, can lead to lag if your service is spotty, and even disconnect you from your own game if your internet connection were to suddenly go down.

What you can do instead is connect to yourself using a local or a loopback address. This does not involve the internet and you generally have less latency, if any :razz:. Plus you remain in the game in the case that anything goes wrong with your internet connection.

Hope this makes sense! It's not super important to know, but can lead to smoother games for you and other players in your server.
You can always just use the same address you give to your friends anyways. If your internet service is decent, it shouldn't matter what you use.

jameds tool detects your external address and puts it on the first field.
That is your address, the one that people can use to connect to you.
Also it is the same address listed on the master server if you allow the game to advertise your server on it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back