How to make lowering platforms act the same way as Star Light's lowering platforms?

Hm... That's a interesting question. I, honestly, don't know. It would be nice to ask some person who knows better about SRB2 Mapping?

I assume you're trying to do something like this?

I did it using Ultimate Zone Builder.
It's like Zone Builder, but uses SRB2's UDMF support. While both the editor and the feature support are still in beta, you can still do plenty of cool stuff with them.
I did it like this:
1701369616362.png

Start by making four unique FOFs, like you already have.
I chose to make then 64 FRACUNITs tall as to fit the Star Light platform texture lol

Give their control sectors unique tags as well - For example, I chose 1 to 4 for the sectors that host the FOFs, and 5 to 8 for each FOF control sector.

Then, to all control sectors, give it an unique trigger tag. I chose 9:
1701369740505.png

Once that's all set and done, it's time to make the FOFs move.
Draw a segmented "control" sector right below each control sector. You don't have to do this, but I did it because it's organized.
Set one of the linedefs to use action 300, set its tag to the trigger tag you set earlier (9 in my case) and set its trigger type to Once (so it doesn't run again afterwards).
1701369847620.png

For each linedef clockwise to the previous one, set them to action 405 (Move Planes by Set Distance) so they can actually move.
Set their target sector tag to the corresponding tag used by a control sector (5 to 8), both planes, a negative distance gradually smaller (it looks better if you use the height of the FOF for this. For example, my FOF is 64 FRACUNITs tall, so -64, -128, -192, -256) and a speed gradually larger (I just picked a random number, 16, then went with it: 16, 32, 48, 64).
1701369962503.png

Save, and the result should be the same as in the video.
In Sonic 1 they have a slight delay of like 1 second before they actually start moving down, so maybe you'd like to change the executor delay in the trigger linedef.

Attached is the wad I made so you can give it a peek.

Hm... That's a interesting question. I, honestly, don't know. It would be nice to ask some person who knows better about SRB2 Mapping?
Dude... "some person(s) who knows better about SRB2 mapping" roam around this forum. That's what this forum is for.
Consider not answering questions with "I don't know" if you don't know, and just skip to the next one.

Attachments

• exp_StarLightPlatforms.wad
    12.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I assume you're trying to do something like this?
View attachment 105444

I did it using Ultimate Zone Builder.
It's like Zone Builder, but uses SRB2's UDMF support. While both the editor and the feature support are still in beta, you can still do plenty of cool stuff with them.
I did it like this:
View attachment 105446

Start by making four unique FOFs, like you already have.
I chose to make then 64 FRACUNITs tall as to fit the Star Light platform texture lol

Give their control sectors unique tags as well - For example, I chose 1 to 4 for the sectors that host the FOFs, and 5 to 8 for each FOF control sector.

Then, to all control sectors, give it an unique trigger tag. I chose 9:
View attachment 105447

Once that's all set and done, it's time to make the FOFs move.
Draw a segmented "control" sector right below each control sector. You don't have to do this, but I did it because it's organized.
Set one of the linedefs to use action 300, set its tag to the trigger tag you set earlier (9 in my case) and set its trigger type to Once (so it doesn't run again afterwards).
View attachment 105448

For each linedef clockwise to the previous one, set them to action 405 (Move Planes by Set Distance) so they can actually move.
Set their target sector tag to the corresponding tag used by a control sector (5 to 8), both planes, a negative distance gradually smaller (it looks better if you use the height of the FOF for this. For example, my FOF is 64 FRACUNITs tall, so -64, -128, -192, -256) and a speed gradually larger (I just picked a random number, 16, then went with it: 16, 32, 48, 64).
View attachment 105449

Save, and the result should be the same as in the video.
In Sonic 1 they have a slight delay of like 1 second before they actually start moving down, so maybe you'd like to change the executor delay in the trigger linedef.

Attached is the wad I made so you can give it a peek.
Thanks! Also, I'm making the level with UZB since the start, I find it easier to create slopes with.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back