How Does SRB2Kart handle multiple folders for Add-ons?

dbzkaifan

I want to organize the add-ons I have for Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart into separate sub-folders inside a folder named "addons". (I would like to show images of what I mean by this, but it seems image posting is disabled.)

However, I have a feeling that this will make the game think I have no add-ons and just download add-ons that servers are using and stuff them into the DOWNLOAD folder even though I already have them in another folder. Part of what leads me to believe this will happen is that you can only assign one location for the game to look for add-ons and I do not believe it will look inside any sub-folders in that location. It does not help that I cannot find any documentation on the web that explains how Sonic Robo Blast 2 or SRB2K locates add-ons other than that .wad, .pk3, .kart, .soc are known filetypes that these games support and that you can type in either a relative pathname or a full pathname as the folder you want the game to look for add-ons in.

TLDR: If I set the game to look into a different folder than the root SRB2 folder, will it be able to see those add-ons if I put them in sub-folders within the folder I have specified the game to look into? Or will it not see them and download duplicates when connecting to a server? OR Can I set the game to look in more than one folder for add-ons? I'd rather not have multiple copies of add-ons just because the game is not programmed to look into more than one folder.

Hi, Sub-folders within the folder kart is installed to (or ~/.srb2kart in Linux) should all be checked for a matching file first.
You should be able to see that if you place a file in a subfolder and just addfile the filename it will find it. (e.g. the file coolcharacter.wad is placed in the subfolder `/addons/characters`, but the addfile command should be able to find it with just `addfile coolcharacter.wad`.)

When downloading from a server it should be the same, except an MD5 check is made too to make sure the files are actually identical, I recall a mismatching MD5 could cause the file to be downloaded from the server, but I could be wrong there.

I'm not 100% sure how everything works if you have multiple copies of a filename within the different subfolders, I assume it will try and pick the first one it finds.

I've found that it will only check the folder it was assigned to and NOT any sub-folders. So unfortunately, that means I will have to keep a copy of EVERY add-on in the DOWNLOADS folder.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back