How Does one Host a Dedicated Server?

Azzymint

Lunar Luminosity
I’d hate to be yet another lost soul, asking the same ‘ol question, but I am seriously curious.

See, I’m not new to the game, but I am new here, so if something doesn’t make sense, I am sorry in advance.

I have already ported Forward twice already, yet my server doesn’t show up on the Master Server list, and I believe I’m missing a step in the process.

I plan to Make 2 servers: one for Spice Runners (which I have a few questions about changing the music and such), and a Co-op server, running through levels for fun. Help is GREATLY appreciated, as I hate to ask for help because for one, I already asked many people, and two, I know many have asked already here, but I am just making myself heard. Thank you.

I’d hate to be yet another lost soul, asking the same ‘ol question, but I am seriously curious.

See, I’m not new to the game, but I am new here, so if something doesn’t make sense, I am sorry in advance.

I have already ported Forward twice already, yet my server doesn’t show up on the Master Server list, and I believe I’m missing a step in the process.

I plan to Make 2 servers: one for Spice Runners (which I have a few questions about changing the music and such), and a Co-op server, running through levels for fun. Help is GREATLY appreciated, as I hate to ask for help because for one, I already asked many people, and two, I know many have asked already here, but I am just making myself heard. Thank you.
First off, does the Port Checker say your server is working? If it doesn't, then you haven't actually successfully port forwarded.

Second off, you host a dedicated server by running SRB2 from Command Prompt with the -dedicated command line parameter attached. Note you must also have a -room (number) parameter attached as well, or else it won't appear on the Master Server.

The Master Server itself is very inconsistent, and lately has not been displaying many people's severs. There are some potential fixes to this, but some users are simply out of luck.

First off, does the Port Checker say your server is working? If it doesn't, then you haven't actually successfully port forwarded.

Second off, you host a dedicated server by running SRB2 from Command Prompt with the -dedicated command line parameter attached. Note you must also have a -room (number) parameter attached as well, or else it won't appear on the Master Server.
yeah, i didn't port forward...
BUT, according to all of the tutorials i watched, i should have done it perfectly. I Remember that you have to make a .bat file for the command stuff, but i may have dome that wrong too, so if you need to see what i did, i am happy to share screenshots

yeah, i didn't port forward...
BUT, according to all of the tutorials i watched, i should have done it perfectly. I Remember that you have to make a .bat file for the command stuff, but i may have dome that wrong too, so if you need to see what i did, i am happy to share screenshots
Please show me what you did, including your portforwarding config.

(Heres the video i used)

Step 1: I found my Default Gateway, bringing me to my At&T Website.
1716758975065.png

Step 2: I Went to "Firewall", leading me to "NAT/Gaming". (as you can see, there were previous attempts, but oviously, my provider doesn't have a "service" for this game, so i named it as it is)
1716759328241.png

1716759384056.png

and Kabamo wamo, it should've worked. now, about the commands, i made the TXT file, named it "Dedicated Server", saved it to the SRB2 folder, changed it's extention to .Bat, and that's all.
1716759748017.png

1716759797061.png

Also, i just opened the BAT file, and a Console popped up? what happened there?

1716759924002.png

Step 2: I Went to "Firewall", leading me to "NAT/Gaming". (as you can see, there were previous attempts, but oviously, my provider doesn't have a "service" for this game, so i named it as it is)
This looks correctly set up to me. Check the Port Checker again now that your server is running.
Also, i just opened the BAT file, and a Console popped up? what happened there?
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you fully understand what a dedicated server is. A dedicated server is a server that runs 24/7, but isn't one the host is actually in. This console is the server's console. This is all you will see, that's how dedicated servers work. It's called a dedicated server because you've now dedicated your PC to running a server on autopilot, even though you aren't in it. It's for people who want a server to run, but don't want to play on it.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you fully understand what a dedicated server is. A dedicated server is a server that runs 24/7, but isn't one the host is actually in. This console is the server's console. This is all you will see, that's how dedicated servers work. It's called a dedicated server because you've now dedicated your PC to running a server on autopilot, even though you aren't in it. It's for people who want a server to run, but don't want to play on it.
Ah, so I did do it right! I know that much about dedicated servers, but there’s just 2 problems I have with it:
  1. How am I supposed to add mods and stuff to it? What is it named? How do I name it?
  2. How do I personally join the server? Is that impossible? What about if my computer just shuts off, does the server too?

Ah, so I did do it right! I know that much about dedicated servers, but there’s just 2 problems I have with it:
  1. How am I supposed to add mods and stuff to it? What is it named? How do I name it?
  2. How do I personally join the server? Is that impossible? What about if my computer just shuts off, does the server too?
1. Use the "addfile [mod filename]" console command.
2. Join it by opening another instance of SRB2 on your PC. If your computer shuts off, so does the server.

Please note that it's possible you'll run into some problems trying to host two servers on the same IP address.

1. Use the "addfile [mod filename]" console command.
2. Join it by opening another instance of SRB2 on your PC. If your computer shuts off, so does the server.

Please note that it's possible you'll run into some problems trying to host two servers on the same IP address.
Great! Thank you! it's kinda concerning that when i use the port checker, it says that it's still unreachable, but i'll look around and see what exactly i'm missing. seems like a TON of work, but i think i'll manage.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back