How do you think multiple characters should be handled in sonic games?

Darknik

Sonic Maniac
Well this is simple we all know that sega and the sonic team do not know what to do with the characters so I wanted how you think that multiple characters should be handled in sonic games

I personally say that they would have to look more like the classics where you could choose which character you wanted to play with and there was no unnecessary mechanics such as mechs and the sonic of the 90s

As for the story there is not much to say I would like them to focus more on the other characters and much less on sonic since most of these are more interesting than sonic

I think the way the classics and srb2 handle multiple characters is pretty good. The only "complaint" I have with this system is that the characters are just alternative styles of gameplay, I think it would be perfect if each character had a story. I'm not talking about a complex story, the way S3K presented Knuckles' story is perfect, just a reason to every character. I also think it would be really interesting to have new zones or different level design in some stages, like Knuckles' Mirage Saloon act 1. I personally would love to see Tails have a story of his own.

Last edited:
I think the way the classics and srb2 handle multiple characters are pretty good. The only "complaint" I have with this system is that the characters are just alternative styles of gameplay, I think it would be perfect if each character had a story. I'm not talking about a complex story, the way S3K presented Knuckles' story is perfect, just a reason to every character. I also think it would be really interesting to have new zones or different level design in some stages, like Knuckles' Mirage Saloon act 1. I personally would love to see Tails have a story of his own.
A good SRB2 example of this is Samus. It's a whole new gameplay style, but you also get some new levels exclusive to that character

A good SRB2 example of this is Samus. It's a whole new gameplay style, but you also get some new levels exclusive to that character
never played it, will check it out later
Post automatically merged:

I also think different gameplay styles are a good idea if they conserve the nature of Sonic. For example, I wouldn't mind the emerald hunt stages again - if it's based on the SA1 style.

Ideally, all characters in the same game should generally fall into the same overall gameplay formula and share stages, but be able to access unique pathways. I am not against specific characters having unique acts or even whole stages.

However, I'm not entirely against the Sonic Adventure 1 method of giving each character their own specially tailored gameplay with their stages only briefly crossing over as long as it's handled well.

I think there should be a mix of how both the classic games and Adventures 1 & 2 handled it, having some characters that play very similarly to Sonic, while also having some who play v e r y different, like Amy or Gamma. I also think stages should be built in ways where no matter who you play, there's always something about the stage that caters to your current character's abilities. That way, even if you're going through the same stages with the same goal of getting to the end of the stage, there's still enough new to them that couldn't have been experienced before by a different character you've used previously.

In my opinion I did not like much how the adventure saga handled the other characters, I feel that their stories, although well written, are also too short, I wanted to play more with them.

In my opinion I did not like much how the adventure saga handled the other characters, I feel that their stories, although well written, are also too short, I wanted to play more with them.
I agree. The execution wasn't good, but the idea was.

SA1 and sonic 06 style was really perfect
They are the Same with SRB2 and classic games style
but SA2 was good too

Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Mania, no contest.

PS: My biggest gripe about the way Sega handled multiple playable characters in modern Sonic games was the fact they forced you to play a different game with them (like Big's stages in Adventure, the Treasure Hunting in Adventure 2 and the Beat'em up with the Werehog in Unleashed) which is why people are saying that those games aren't great for replay value.

I'm still annoyed that Tails and Knuckles could never do all stages that Sonic did in their post-game (especially since there was a Trial mode and that it could've been just a non-canon thing).

Last edited:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Mania, no contest.

PS: My biggest gripe about the way Sega handled multiple playable characters in modern Sonic games was the fact they forced you to play a different game with them (like Big's stages in Adventure, the Treasure Hunting in Adventure 2 and the Beat'em up with the Werehog in Unleashed) which is why people are saying that those games aren't great for replay value.

I'm still annoyed that Tails and Knuckles could never do all stages that Sonic did in their post-game (especially since there was a Trial mode and that it could've been just a non-canon thing).
That’s actually a good idea. It’d kinda be like Free Play mode from the LEGO Games. If there’s a section that a certain character is absolutely needed because it was a Sonic stage or a Big stage, you could just quickly switch to that required character. This would allow the level designers to make a stage tailored to one character for the story mode while also allowing multiple characters to access it in Post Game

That’s actually a good idea. It’d kinda be like Free Play mode from the LEGO Games. If there’s a section that a certain character is absolutely needed because it was a Sonic stage or a Big stage, you could just quickly switch to that required character. This would allow the level designers to make a stage tailored to one character for the story mode while also allowing multiple characters to access it in Post Game
I've always thought since I was much younger that Sonic Adventure 1&2 had a secret "free roam mode" after finishing both games (especially in the first Adventure where you're put in Station Square again when finishing someone's story)... until I got disappointed...

But at least we got mods.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back