How about an integrated level editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech2k

It's so much hassle for me configuring all these editors to make levels. It would be better if you could make one yourself using a level editor designed for the game.
If it was then an unlockable, it would make me want to play through it again.
What more, it means you could test your levels without having to fire the game up, because you're already in the game, meaning almost instant level testing.
What do you guys think?

OBJECTPLACE ON

Sorry, but because SRB2 requires recompiled maps for speed reasons, you can't necessarily change everything in a level on the fly.

Pipe dream, really. The WAD format is rather complicated, and making a full in-game editor is pretty much impossible.

I understand that you've had insane trouble getting WadAuthor to work, but it DOES normally work.

The effort spent on such an insane idea like making an in-game editor would be better spent doing things we really need, like more levels, enemies, and content.

And by "would be better spent doing things we really need, like more levels, enemies, and content," he actually means "doesn't exist."

i got it to work no sweat.... i wonder why these people are having so much problems with it........

Two words: Doom Builder.

Anyways, I came up with a map editor, SOC editor, and Explorer-type interface for the lumps all bundled into one. I would name it S.E.E. for SRB2 Editing Environment, but I'm not a programmer (at least a good one), so...

The closest thing you'll get to an intergrated level editor is setting up DoomBuilder to automatically use Zennode and setting it to test the current level with SRB2. I might make a guide for it sometime, as it's really handy.

I setup DB to add test.wad along with tempmap.wad, where test.wad contains my map header, so I can see what it's like without LUMPing all the time.

Or you could just use my edited CFG so that you can lump the first time and it's smooth sailing for the rest of the level-editing process.

I recently learned DoomBuilder doubled as an ACS editor the whole time. Sweet, this is going to make editing for ZDOOM a LOT more interesting... I mean, with a custom keybind and a simple script added to every applicable level, I could make the DOOM Guy fly just like Tails; all I need is to puke script 255, and have script 255 have "ThrustThingZ(0,64,0,0);", and whenever that bind is called the DOOM Guy will hop upward. After that is just a few more variables, if statements, while loops, maybe a for loop, and several delay() commands to determine if he's on the ground, started flying (double jumped), or out of breath (5*35 tics later).

And the best thing is, I don't think very many of you have any clue as to what I'm talking about. I mean, SOME of you will, but others... no idea. :P

I dunno, frankly, but 5 seconds is a nice, round starting point for finding something that feels right.

Though if it's 8 I might try that out, too.

Insert the map header, leave the command prompt open.
Save in Doom Builder.
Onoes! My header is gone!
Go back to the command prompt, press up on the keyboard (or was it down?).
Press enter.
Fix'd :)

Shuffle said:
Save in Doom Builder.
Press enter.

I do that every time with WadAuthor or Doombuilder, to Zennode the file. I don't see what a big deal with having a command prompt open is. O_O

Mystic said:
Shuffle said:
Save in Doom Builder.
Press enter.

I do that every time with WadAuthor or Doombuilder, to Zennode the file. I don't see what a big deal with having a command prompt open is. O_O

Exactly my point.. people are just too lazy to zennode/reheader their files >.>

Just using WadAuthor is fine for me. :roll: The only time you actually NEED DoomBuilder is when you want to optimize sectors, make those wavey cloud things, and sometimes align textures on annoyingly shaped sectors.

No, I don't have to add the header.

I make a temp.wad with the header in it. Then, I type in DB's Test window:

srb2win.exe -file %f temp.wad -warp %e -skin Tails

, and it works fine for me.

You should try using all three characters to test the levels. You might accedentally end up making the level completely unplayable as any character but Tails if you ONLY use Tails to test it...

I test as Sonic. In reality, if Sonic can do it, anyone can, since they can all jump farther ^_~

Besides, it's hard to get through the walls with NOCLIP if you run at such a slow speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back