Help with Gamemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

roboegg99

I am making a game called sonics big quest with gamemaker but i cant figure out how to do these five things,

1st: I cant make the running sprites stay on the floor i created.
2nd.I cant make cant make it sidescroll like sonic games do.
3rd:I have problems making the second person cpu controlled, but only make the seond control human-controlled.

Well thats mostly all i have trouble with can you please help me.

Heres the link to just some screens of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSPBShQg2A

although i haven't used game maker since V6 was released, I'll see what I can do...

You can get tutorials for this kind of game from the game maker site. (gamemaker.nl)

1) Make sure you set some gravity for your characters to play by. Then make sure that your platforms have some kind of solid block. Then set up the collision detection in each character's behaviours.

2) I'm not sure about the scrolling. I know you make a very very long room and then set a box to be the camera of something. The tutorials cover this.

3) as for cpu control, there might be a tutorial that tells you how to get them to follow the player. Human control is easy though, so you can just set a rule saying that if player 2 dosn't move within so many seconds, then remove it from the level to advoid them getting hit when they're miles off camera.

Okay thanks i have the tutorials but some of them were confusing me, but now its cleared up and I can probably make the game, there will probably be about 5 betas before full version is released.

I've actually been toying around with Game Maker lately... got a fairly decent (if a bit rough-around-the-edges) Sonic engine going. I mean, it's not done (hardly!), but it's pretty fun to toy around with in its current state. Currently supports a wide variety of angles, keeping your momentum when you run off a wall (of any angle), jumping angle being affected by what angle the floor is, converting y-momentum to x-momentum when landing on a slope, etc. It doesn't, however, support gravity tugging on you when you're on a wall, so as of now you can kinda just stand there. I need to fix that, though I'm not entirely sure how yet. Also doesn't support bumping your head on the ceiling - you go right through until the side-wall sensor (for X-movement) detects the wall and pushes you out. That's easy to fix.

I'll admit I was skeptical, and I'm still not thrilled that it doesn't recognize "[variable]++" or "[variable]--", but hey, it's closer to a real programming language than Clickteam products! That's a plus.

I'm working with game maker aswell. I just cant get something working but I haven't touched it for a while. It is a Sonic game but SSBM type game.
I'm working on the engine at the moment before I work on the game. It is currently two player, only two player. and at the moment it is just Super Sonic vs. Sonic. :P

Yeah mine is coming out okay but it still has problems like making the charater stop while running making them jump and thats mostly all right now.

2nd - On the room that is to be affected, clik on views (expert mode must be enabled). Check "Enable the use of Views". On view 0, select "Visible when room starts". On object following, select your main character.
The Hbor and Vbor are the borders. The screen will only change once the character hit's the border. Hsp and Vsp are the speed. I think -1 is instant.
That should be how to make a scrooling camera.

You know, I don't think it'd be a good idea to make a Sonic game as your first project, judging from the severe complexity of the Genesis games' movement system in the way it handles ramps and loops.

FoxBlitzz said:
You know, I don't think it'd be a good idea to make a Sonic game as your first project, judging from the severe complexity of the Genesis games' movement system in the way it handles ramps and loops.

My first game was a sonic game. It was awfal. sonic ran on the spot when he didn't move and when he did move the sonic animation didn't move! Also there was no scrolling action and It had no loops.

Good things about my first game: It had 6 characters.

I did a sidescrolling jump n run with game maker once. The idea behind it sounds crazy, but turns out intelligent, if you think about it...

Instead of make moving the mainobject threw static rooms, the arrow keys are moving all other objects instead of your main character and you place your hero into the center of the room.

I used the "jump to a given position" action with "relative"-flag for the horizontal moving of all other objects (in connection with a collision check variable to prevent the hero from walking threw solid objects), so that I could use "moving speed" action for their own movement (important for enemies and floating platforms).

The vertical movement for jumps was controlled with normal "movement speed"-actions.

Now you just have to place all objects one after another, even if they would be placed outside the room. They will just scroll inside by use of the arrow keys and it looks like your character is walking threw the landscape you have created.

Hm... I am not sure if anybody understood what I wanted to say, but anyway it works! :mrgreen:

FoxBlitzz said:
Good thing I've been programming in a variety of actual programming languages for a good while and can calculate all the necessary trigonometric values for the variety of sensors and such, using Damizean's popular 360-engine as a base (well, the principles it used, not the actual code; I did that from scratch).

I don't doubt something like Mario might be somewhat easier (but only somewhat, given how in-depth all those transformations and such get), but hey, it's fun.

Morph said:
I did a sidescrolling jump n run with game maker once. The idea behind it sounds crazy, but turns out intelligent, if you think about it...

Instead of make moving the mainobject threw static rooms, the arrow keys are moving all other objects instead of your main character and you place your hero into the center of the room.

I used the "jump to a given position" action with "relative"-flag for the horizontal moving of all other objects (in connection with a collision check variable to prevent the hero from walking threw solid objects), so that I could use "moving speed" action for their own movement (important for enemies and floating platforms).

The vertical movement for jumps was controlled with normal "movement speed"-actions.

Now you just have to place all objects one after another, even if they would be placed outside the room. They will just scroll inside by use of the arrow keys and it looks like your character is walking threw the landscape you have created.

Hm... I am not sure if anybody understood what I wanted to say, but anyway it works! :mrgreen:

I get what you mean. Everything moves across the screen exept sonic. Sonic just runs in a running, standing, waiting, jumping animation on the spot.

The Yellow Blue Dude said:
Morph said:

I get what you mean. Everything moves across the screen exept sonic. Sonic just runs in a running, standing, waiting, jumping animation on the spot.
Ever heard of views? They let you do scrolling and such without pages of extraneous, useless code.

Shuffle, some of us are too friggen lazy to learn C or C++. Like moi. Sheesh, I've been wanting to learn it lately atleast...

furyhunter600 said:
The Yellow Blue Dude said:
Morph said:

Ever heard of views? They let you do scrolling and such without pages of extraneous, useless code.

Shuffle, some of us are too friggen lazy to learn C or C++. Like moi. Sheesh, I've been wanting to learn it lately atleast...

I edited SRB2 but it won't work because I don't know how to get the devpaks to work... I did instal them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back