help with .3ds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowen

Hi, I haven't really posted here in a while. I couldn't find out anywhere else, I have about ten .3ds files of different sonic characters with axis (or move) points! All of which I can not find a way to find a program to manipulate them with. Can anyone help me out?

If you're trying to handle .3ds files, you're going to need Autodesk 3ds Max, which isn't exactly free. Alternatively, you can try to convert the file to a friendlier format with a program like Okino Polytrans. While that isn't free either, you can download a trial somewhere. The trial version only lets you convert, like, 5 polygons, though. And it really doesn't work very well. At all.

Also, would Vector happen to be among those models, pray tell?

If you're thinking about using them in a 3D engine, then try DirectX models (.x). They load in many 3D engines such as DarkBASIC Pro. Don't bother using .3ds in a game. You should use the most native and compatible model format for your engine as possible. I don't know a whole lot about other 3D engines, but .3ds loads incredibly slow in DarkBASIC.

I think there used to be a good free converter called Crossroads, but it somehow vanished. When I make models, I make them in Wings 3D and then import and convert them to .x using the modeling program Blender. I know Wings 3D can import .3ds, and maybe Blender too, but I don't remember.

I use Milkshape for all my converting needs. It isn't free either, but it works quite well.

Tell you what; mail me the models, and I'll try converting them for you.

Oy, there's never a Vector.

Also, click the 'email' button under my post.

There is a torrent of colored and converted Sonic Heroes models on Soniconthe.net if you want to try those.

Sonic Heroes 3D Model.torrent:

3D Models of Sonic Heroes Characters.

But just playable characters.

Amy, Big, Charmy, Cheese, Cream, Espio, Omega, Rouge, Shadow, Sonic and Tails

*.3DS

Enjoy it ! ^^ ;)

GHZ said:
Just curious, but is there a reason as to why no Vector models exist?

We probably won't. There's got to be a reason no one's done it yet. I've asked around the SWS2B/Sonic Cult fora (Most likely where the models were initially ripped), and nobody over there seems to know, either. Not that I've gotten many answers.

I'd post a topic on the SWS2B boards, but it seems a bit too early to be asking most likely idiotic questions.

Ritz said:
We probably won't. There's got to be a reason no one's done it yet. I've asked around the SWS2B/Sonic Cult fora (Most likely where the models were initially ripped), and nobody over there seems to know, either. Not that I've gotten many answers.

I'd post a topic on the SWS2B boards, but it seems a bit too early to be asking most likely idiotic questions.
Contradiction much?

No. When I said "SWS2B/Sonic Cult fora", I meant the community in general. Mainly, the IRC channel. But most everything I say goes ignored in there, so I'd be more likely to get an answer on the message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back