Help! Game crashes on me when I try to play LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGally

Before, my younger brother and I were able to play a LAN game, and it went great. Tonight, however, it would crash when we tried to play a LAN game. What would happen is, one of us hosts, and when the other tries to join, the game crashes right then and there for the host. This occured regardless of which one was the host and which tried to join.

It used to work before. What might have changed? The only thing I ever changed was the master server list, but this being a LAN game, that shouldn't affect anything.

The level was Spring Hill. To make sure we could both play, I copied my savegames and Config.Cfg file to my brother's computer. Could that have affected it?

Any help would be much appreciated. I really wanted to show him Spring Hill co-op!

I think I may have done that, but I'll try tomorrow. What does GAMEDATA.DAT contain? Because after the stuff I copied, Spring Hill became playable for him. Does it contain important online info?

Do you know why our online play worked in the past but doesn't now? The problem is that when one of us connects to the other, the host crashes.

He's the developer, he know why he said that.

Hovewer, I also be sure of copy other files... Only for be sure... Ah! Make back-ups of the original files...

It "crashes"..... do you get any kind of error message? (and don't just say 'yes', tell me what the error message is. ;) )

Actually, no. It just dumps him back to Windows, if I remember correctly.

He's on vacation right now, separate from me, so I'll have to wait until after the Fourth of July to try again.

if you haven't unlocked Spring Hill then you can't play it on multiplayer and it boots you. That's why you need to copy gamedata.dat, so both PC's have it unlocked.

In that case, I certainly copied gamedata.dat. I tried it on my brother's computer, as I said in previous posts, and it worked. So it's not booting either of us for not having the level.

Besides, BOTH of us tried running the server, and in BOTH cases, when one connects, the other shuts down and goes back to Windows.

That's what I've been saying in all my messages. Please read them first before making assumptions.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try it on others. The previous time we played, we were able to play the main game through.

My brother is on vacation now, so I'll have to get ahold of him later this week and try it out.

I realize Spring Hill contains original programming just for that level, so maybe you're right about it being the cause. You'd know more than I would on this subject.

I will try out other levels later this week, and explain to my brother the reason why.

If it still works fine on other levels, what you may want to try doing is starting a game on Greenflower 1, then using the MAP command to switch to Spring Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back