Halo fangame special feature :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianv

My Halo fangame unlockable eventual feature.
err.jpg

It's Sonic(with a smg)! :D
(I hope I don't get banned for this...It's somewhat related to Sonic..lol)
By the way, the sprite will eventually gete changed to match everything else better.

I hate to be this honest, but that screen is horribly ugly. The textures don't tile in the slightest (so there's a general lack of continuity), the actual textures to them look quite excessive with the shading, the color scheme doesn't go together too well, and Sonic and the grunts up there are neither of sprite designs that go well with the level. Let alone the weird red and blue blobs attacking Sonic.

In short, needs more work.

Shadow Hog said:
I hate to be this honest, but that screen is horribly ugly. The textures don't tile in the slightest (so there's a general lack of continuity), the actual textures to them look quite excessive with the shading, the color scheme doesn't go together too well, and Sonic and the grunts up there are neither of sprite designs that go well with the level. Let alone the weird red and blue blobs attacking Sonic.

In short, needs more work.
Lol, red and blue blobs....those are failed attempts at blood.
Oh yea, I do have a very early and ok beta engine game, which includes the first level, but I think thats all. The smg doesn't work right.
This is the link to the download: http://www.rctd.ft6.com/uploads/engine 2.zip
I do have a more recent engine, but its like 10 mb, and my hosting place only allows 2 mb at most. I can use Rapidshare, I guess, but I don't know if I still have that old zip file...
If you do download that engine(with a messed up smg(by the way, I fixed it already(but not in this download))), the controls are Arrow Keys(to move), Shift(jump) and control(fire). Have fun? :mrgreen: Actually you probably can't with this engine...

And yes, Shadow Hog, I'll see what I can do with that screenshot(it is kinda ugly..).

Edit: This was made on The Games Factory(cause I am cheap and don't feel like learning c++ or whatever its called), so it won't work on macs, only windows.

Here is what the new Master Chief looks like(not like the one in that engine):
teh%20hump.gif

Shouldn't matter. You can make good games with most any tool. Why, just look at that Rockman Neo fangame (or whatever they're calling it now); they used Game Maker, and, unlike what people have stereotyped it as, it DIDN'T suck. I mean, sure, it was just an engine test, but it was an impressive one.

lostgamemaker said:
Umm... what is this made in? This will depend on wether I eventually download it or not, so...
Its made in The Games Factory(notice the edit in my long post?). But just keep in mind that if you do download it, things have been improved since that(the smg bug).

Hey, I love Game Maker-I don't have any complaints about it.

It's the only hope for a future of the Sonic Fangame community-unless *gasp* people would take the time to learn something like C++!

Notice all the best and successful fangames were not made in TGF or MMF, they were made in C++ or another ACTUAL programming language.

I think that Game Maker is a good thing for the Community because of it's DLL stuff-the DLL's I wrote for The Chaos Effect really helped-and I got to use my C++ knowledge too!

Its made in The Games Factory

This is exactly why I asked.

MMF-if something's made in it, and at least looks really really good, and people say "Holy crap, you have to download this" then I will. But even then-MMF? So limiting, unless you want to spend hours learning something completely useless...

As long as you know other programming languages, c++, Java, even VB, for crying out loud, the Game Maker language is easy to learn and uncomplicated-not only that-but you can use your C++ knowledge for your game by writing DLLs! Wow!

So, the moral to the story is-TGF sucks. Deal.

My game is coming out fairly well...I have Game Maker, but that confuses me. TGF is easy to learn. Even if it does suck.

Anyway, should I try to put in a direct play(via IP) 2 player?

Visual Basic is fun. It's *relatively* easy to learn, and it's fast if you know what you're doing.

A note: Can TGF use Windows API calls? You can really speed up the game by using BitBlt.

There is an object for MMF, and possibly for TGF/CNC too, that allows Win32 API calls. However, GDI calls could be difficult: firstly, getting a handle to the window's device context could prove to be problematic; and secondly, MMF would probably just repaint the window itself anyway, and there's no way of intercepting WM_PAINT messages to stop it.

On further thought, it seems that these problems aren't insurmountable: the first can be remedied fairly straightforwardly by writing an extension (in C) that returns the HDC, and the second by subclassing. But frankly, that would just be silly.

USC said:
lostgamemaker said:
Notice all the best and successful fangames were not made in TGF or MMF, they were made in C++ or another ACTUAL programming language.

Sonic : Time Attacked

Thirdscape 2

Sonic : ZoneRacer

Amy : One Girl Army

Plus the many promising games at Sage, like The Emerald Awakening and Crossing Fates, that I'm too lazy to link. It's not the tools, it's how you use them.

Edit : Oh, and what about the greatest Sonic Fan Game known to man?
I only played sonic time attacked out of all those.

C++ would be better. The SMG would work better if you knew how to do all that

Visual basic is just a good

Still good for TGF

Heh...I'm not saying C++ wouldn't be better. However, projects take a longer time (Look at Retro Sonic, Sonic Mettrix, and SRB2). While with TGF or Game Maker, you can get started immediately. If you're more of a design person than a programmer, it allows you to make a good game easily.

Unless, of course, you're working on 360° engines, in which case, you'll be ready to put your head against the keyboard with TGF. I STILL don't understand why mine won't work but the tutorials do, and every time I try to start again, I just get confused as all heck. It's that Advanced Math object, making everything so confusing...

Yeah. I like C++ better because you can expand more. It removes the limits that TGF puts. YOu can do anything in C++ as long as you have enough programming skill. IN TGF, it limits you a lot, and when the finished product is achieved, there are a lot of glitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back