• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

General project screenshot/video thread

He lives...

srb20168.png

Let's see, the last KO.T.E took over 2 years in development, how long will this remake take you think? Starting at 40 years, let's start guessing! (hopefully it won't take that long .-.)

Last edited:
To be honest, yes it does. The background mountains are obviously supposed to go along a sunset sky, it just clashes if you mix it with a stormy sky. You'll have to change at least the colors in the mountains if you want it to blend, or maybe make the sky into a sunset of sorts but still leave it raining, if that makes sense.
Or, he could make the skies look reddish-orangey like the mountains.

Just recolor the mountains gray and call it a day. The sunset effect doesn't look good under a stormy setting.

Just recolor the mountains gray and call it a day. The sunset effect doesn't look good under a stormy setting.

For my the level is alright. It's a "new theme" tough.
The new FRZ2 has a sunset effect so I can't remove it for the act 3 or it will look weird.

srb20168.png

Let's see, the last KO.T.E took over 2 years in development, how long will this remake take you think? Starting at 40 years, let's start guessing! (hopefully it won't take that long .-.)

40 years? How long do you think I took to finish Knuckles? Just a few months of dedication. :^]

Looking at the sprite, it is a really big improvement over the last KOTE. The anti aliasing needs some editing here and there, mostly on the eyes, the gloves, and around the stripes. My main problem with the sprite however, it's the choice of colors in his design. They are everywhere. His shoes are green and yellow, his jacket has orange and gold, the gloves are red... He's not too far from being a walking rainbow. All the colors in his design are unnecessary, it's just really weird looking at him. Making him have less colors in the sprite would be aesthetically better and make it more simple for the best of reasons.

On more so of the opinion side, though, KOTE's design was never interesting to me. I mean, he's almost like a Sonic and Knuckles hybrid, with a bit of Shadow in it. Personally, I never find it to be a good idea to work on fan characters all the way through like that, but if you really feel like doing it, I advise that you at least try making him completely different, starting by the face. Just looking at it already makes you think of Knuckles. You really should experiment with it and come up with different kinds of eyes and a different snout. Personally, I'd go with any other animal instead of an echidna. Hell, it doesn't even needs to be exactly Sonic styled to look good in game, because that could actually help differing him from Sonic and Knuckles.

If you insist on making an echidna though, my biggest advice is that you make it based on real echidnas.

echidna.jpg

Just look at it, a real echidna's head is a lot more rad.

rsOZLCN.png

Sunset levels are great; I have to be careful though or every level I'll make will be one

It can't. It won't be able to jump over the spikes during the underwater waterslide.

Actually, he can. He jumps a BIT lower than Knuckles, I tested it. There's a 50% possibilities that you get hurt unless you time the jump correctly.

40 years? How long do you think I took to finish Knuckles? Just a few months of dedication. :^]

Looking at the sprite, it is a really big improvement over the last KOTE. The anti aliasing needs some editing here and there, mostly on the eyes, the gloves, and around the stripes. My main problem with the sprite however, it's the choice of colors in his design. They are everywhere. His shoes are green and yellow, his jacket has orange and gold, the gloves are red... He's not too far from being a walking rainbow. All the colors in his design are unnecessary, it's just really weird looking at him. Making him have less colors in the sprite would be aesthetically better and make it more simple for the best of reasons.

On more so of the opinion side, though, KOTE's design was never interesting to me. I mean, he's almost like a Sonic and Knuckles hybrid, with a bit of Shadow in it. Personally, I never find it to be a good idea to work on fan characters all the way through like that, but if you really feel like doing it, I advise that you at least try making him completely different, starting by the face. Just looking at it already makes you think of Knuckles. You really should experiment with it and come up with different kinds of eyes and a different snout. Personally, I'd go with any other animal instead of an echidna. Hell, it doesn't even needs to be exactly Sonic styled to look good in game, because that could actually help differing him from Sonic and Knuckles.

If you insist on making an echidna though, my biggest advice is that you make it based on real echidnas.

echidna.jpg

Just look at it, a real echidna's head is a lot more rad.

Well, for the time to complete this is so long as this is a project I will work on to get the hang of lua, and a side project to work on when I feel like it. I wasn't originally planning on updating the sprites but some people were bugging me about him not being in the style and everything so I went ahead and started this remake.

As for the colors, I once had it so the green on his boots changed colors along with his body (seen here), but after some comments from others I made to default to green, perhaps if I made the jacket's colors match the boots it would look better?

As for his over all design, I don't really plan on changing it much. Mostly since I haven't designed a Sonic character in awhile and I don't want to make something unfitting, and the fact I am wanting to keep the look recognizable with his past version of himself. I know he looks a lot like a mix of Sonic and Knuckles, the Knuckles part was done to make him actually look like a echidna and not a hedgehog with no ears. If I had the energy to do more than just a port I would try to redesign him, but I am still really fond with his look even if it is borderline recolor/minor edit. Although I did try to change the eyes some, like giving him a more happy looking face, but when I went to the front sprite it kept looking like a hideous monster no matter what, so someone fixed the front sprite and ended up with a more Knuckles eyed face.

I seriously cant wait for this wad! You are doing a really great job!

Thanks for the positive support, guys. It's been one week since I posted the WAD in the Submissions forum. Hopefully you might see Eggpack soon enough in the Releases section! (If they aprove the wad...)
I'm so nervous, I really want the WAD to be published. Until next time...

When my Youtube video is uploaded, I will post a gameplay showing he CAN beat DSZ2.
EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvDrPgnkr4I
Sorry about the low quality of video/sound.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back