[GBA] Was Sonic Battle a good spin-off?

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
Let's be honest there: was it good as a Sonic spin-off and was the pseudo-3D gameplay good?

Did you like Emerl as a character? What do you think of it being somehow connected to Advance 3 with Gemerl?

Personally I had some fun (except for grinding for competence points and getting the same cards). I could also see the Megaman Battle Network inspirations in the game.

I also liked how the story mode was episodic so you could play each major characters in the game instead of just one big adventure with only Sonic as a playable one.

I also think that the writing was good especially the way Shadow was portrayed in it, the best incarnation of the character in a post-SA2 game.

In terms of presentation and story, absolutely. The artstyle for the game is just superb, and the Emerl was a very unique and interesting character. Only thing is, to me at least, it doesn't take very long until the gameplay gets kinda stale.

Battle has it's positives and negatives. The story is very interesting and has some of the better looks into each character's personality we have seen, and it's 3D environments are really impressive for the GBA. Emerl is really interesting and the customization elements are really fun. That said though, the game can be a bit of a grind sometimes and the battles do tend to feel a bit repetitive. Part of me is kinda sad we never got another game using this formula, there's a lot of room for improvement and I definitely see the potential there.

In terms of presentation and story, absolutely. The artstyle for the game is just superb, and the Emerl was a very unique and interesting character. Only thing is, to me at least, it doesn't take very long until the gameplay gets kinda stale.
I do agree that the game goes into forced grinding for Emerl to get better cards and wield more abilities when you only get 1-2 AP per 10-points matches...

Battle has it's positives and negatives. The story is very interesting and has some of the better looks into each character's personality we have seen, and it's 3D environments are really impressive for the GBA. Emerl is really interesting and the customization elements are really fun. That said though, the game can be a bit of a grind sometimes and the battles do tend to feel a bit repetitive. Part of me is kinda sad we never got another game using this formula, there's a lot of room for improvement and I definitely see the potential there.
I'm still surprised there was no sequel on the DS (even if scenaristically speaking Sonic Chronicles was)

Sonic Battle is one of sonic games that's I really enjoyed ! SEGA must import it to android adding new characters , events , online competition , leaderboard and so more things will make it epic

Sonic Battle is one of sonic games that's I really enjoyed ! SEGA must import it to android adding new characters , events , online competition , leaderboard and so more things will make it epic
Android? Wouldn't it be a bit complicated to manage with touchscreen controls?

I'd like to see crossplaying on the current hardware + PC.

Android? Wouldn't it be a bit complicated to manage with touchscreen controls?

I'd like to see crossplaying on the current hardware + PC.
Yeah you are right but at least we can use controller in android
Don't forget playstation too , Xbox , Nintendo Switch ....

So appart from the grindy part(that i skipped with cheats) the game is really even trough the knuckles fight gitta be the hardest

So appart from the grinding part (that i skipped with cheats) the game is really even trough the knuckles fight gotta be the hardest
That's entirely understandable that grinding is annoying (that's why I spammed Tails' aerial attack in most of Emerl's fights because they couldn't block it).

I truly appreciate the whole "RPG element" in the fighting game (kinda like Shenmue with the training modes) but it can also get the downsides of that genre.

That's entirely understandable that grinding is annoying (that's why I spammed Tails' aerial attack in most of Emerl's fights because they couldn't block it).

I truly appreciate the whole "RPG element" in the fighting game (kinda like Shenmue with the training modes) but it can also get the downsides of that genre.
yeah i actually understood way later after i used my cheat bout the learning points or i dunno whats the english word so i have a op emerl even trough i could have farmed more
begginer tech: spam sonic dash attack as emerl
pro tech: spam tails air attack as emerl

yeah i actually understood way later after i used my cheat bout the learning points or i dunno whats the english word so i have a op emerl even trough i could have farmed more
begginer tech: spam sonic dash attack as emerl
pro tech: spam tails air attack as emerl
I had more fun using the characters other than Emerl anyway...

Maybe Sega wanted to make a story mode but they also wanted to make a custom character for it...

I've also cheated for the Chaos Emeralds in the Advance series because I couldn't stand the special stages nor the way to get to them...

I had more fun using the characters other than Emerl anyway...

Maybe Sega wanted to make a story mode but they also wanted to make a custom character for it...

I've also cheated for the Chaos Emeralds in the Advance series because I couldn't stand the special stages nor the way to get to them...
i just cheated the whole game

the game was good, im currently on a playthrough of it (knuckles episode) i realy like it, it remindes me of earthbound with the rpg element and the multipul attacks, also i like the wide array of move ermal can use

the game was good, I'm currently on a playthrough of it (Knuckles' episode) I realy like it. It reminds me of Earthbound with the RPG element and the multiple attacks, also I like the wide array of move Emerl can use.
Now that you're talking about it the slightly angular view of the areas are indeed reminiscent of Mother.

I like the idea of Emerl being a polyvalent/customizable character even if it's tedious to grind for points and cards.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back