G4TV No Budget Gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS

I'm not sure if many people on the board knows of G4 (it's 24/7 video game channel), but I was wondering (if this has not been done already) if I could submit SRB2 to the G4TV.com hosts for their No Budget Gamer segment where they show great games you can download for free. If I get lucky, they might show videos of it on TV! So what do you all think?

I think that's a great idea, it could bring more people to the chatroom, because it's usually empty. It also gives other Sonic fans a chance to play a great online game.

It would certainly bring us good publicity. It would also certainly need to be submitted by someone that's NOT related to the team in any fashion, so me, AJ, Mystic, and a441 are right out.

If someone else wants to tell them about it, go right ahead.

Great idea! Of course, then you'd get n00bs wanting to know when it'll be done. Where can you get this channel anyway?

Well, if most of those guys say it's ok, I'll do it.

G4 is a digital cable channel. I have comcast and G4 is channel 136, but it is different for other cable companies.

:mrgreen: Well, In the middle of the day in #srb2fun the place is like a desert. *sees some tumbleweed blow by* eeeempty

Yeah. I vote NO because if anyone gets a lawsuit, then that would mean "BYE BYE" for SRB2. If it gets out of controll, we might have to remove SRB2 from our computer.
*GASP*

P.S: I don't know anything about lawsuits, so if i'm wrong, scratch that last sentance.

Basically, we want publicity, but not a _LOT_ of publicity. The truth is that if SEGA wants us shut down, all they have to do is say the word. Fangaming is basically illegal, but it's generally good for SEGA to leave them be for public relations because our fans wouldn't like it if we were shut down. Hence, unless we're damaging their profit, it's good for them to leave us alone.

Mystic said:
Basically, we want publicity, but not a _LOT_ of publicity. The truth is that if SEGA wants us shut down, all they have to do is say the word. Fangaming is basically illegal, but it's generally good for SEGA to leave them be for public relations because our fans wouldn't like it if we were shut down. Hence, unless we're damaging their profit, it's good for them to leave us alone.

Because of the same line of reasoning though, Sega hasn't touched any of the fangaming crowd, or fanfic writers, or fanartists. It's not clear whether the do so because they don't know about it or because they know it helps their image.

On the other hand, if we do get such publicity, then (wishful thinking) maybe Sega will pull a KGen/Giri Giri. Buy our game from us, finish it, and sell it. ^_^

But of course they'd need id Software's permission unless they decide to redo the engine, so I doubt that.

Actually, you can sell stuff you make from Doom for profit. The license lets you do just about anything as long as it remains open source. It's not the exe you're selling, it's the levels and art aspects. Hence why Doom Legacy is legal to distribute, but not doom2.wad.

I'm involved in an illegal game design group?!?!? :| Why didn't anyone tell me? J/K. :lol: I like talking about the legal side of it, it's really wierd.

lostgamemaker said:
I'm involved in an illegal game design group?!?!?

Technically, ALL fangames are illegal. SFGHQ could explode into nothingness if Sega decided to be as stupid as Nintendo.

Hmm, lots of people with different opinions; I wasn't given a clear answer.... The creators of SRB2 are really the ones who need to decide whether or not SRB2 should be submitted to G4. If all goes well, G4 would show it on TV. More people would know about, join the forums, and create more elaborate wads for everyone to use. As Arrow stated earlier, the best possible thing that could happen is SEGA buying or supporting SRB2. At worst, the project could be shut down and the people related to the game gets a lawsuit. Even if it doesn't get it's own little segment on TV, more people would know about it (do note, as with every online website, more people could mean an increased chance of some idiot trying to hack or crash the website, but it is a minor note).

Well, if the majority of SRB2 creators tell me it's ok, I'll show it to G4. They just have to PM me or post it here.

I think it would be an excellent idea. I've been meaning to do that for a while, but I forgot about it. Just curious, what stupid thing did nintendo do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back